What's new

Plants Deficiency or Excess or Light Stress ?

Marla1337

Does anyone have an idea what problem I might be having? My plant is in week 3 of flowering.

• Substrate: Jiffy Lightmix
  • Light: Migro Array 5x5 750W currently at 100% intensity, 40cm away ~ 800-1000 PPFD
  • Nutrients: BioBizz Grow, Bloom, TopMax at 100% schedule, CalMag 1ml, tried Epsom salt
  • Pot size: 16 liters
  • Water: pH 7.5-8, Drain: pH 7.3-7.7, EC 2.8-3.0
  • Watering: Every 4-5 days when the soil is thoroughly dried, 4 liters until drainage starts.

Attachments

• Bild 1.PNG
    Bild 1.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
  • Bild 10.PNG
    Bild 10.PNG
    910.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Bild 9.PNG
    Bild 9.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
  • Bild 8.PNG
    Bild 8.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • Bild 7.PNG
    Bild 7.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • Bild 6.PNG
    Bild 6.PNG
    2.8 MB · Views: 25
  • Bild 5.PNG
    Bild 5.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
  • Bild 4.PNG
    Bild 4.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
  • Bild 3.PNG
    Bild 3.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • Bild 2.PNG
    Bild 2.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 35

_ross_

Your EC and pH seem to be off.

usually in soil the pH is kept between 6.8 and 6.2. Using synthetics its about 6.0 to 5.6. It looks like you are using synthetic bottles, is this true? I am not familiar with those nutrients you have listed. Either way you should never be above 7.0.

Also, your EC seems high. Going off the label recommendation you are likely way too high. You should likely be feeding between 1.5 and 2 if you are using synthetics.

Your light is pretty intense and maybe too close. I would recommend turning down to 50% until your problems clear up and then turn up the intensity to 75% and see if they can handle it. Lots of strains -- Sour Diesel comes to mind -- do not like a lot of light and can get stressed out of given too much.

Marla1337

usually in soil the pH is kept between 6.8 and 6.2. Using synthetics its about 6.0 to 5.6. It looks like you are using synthetic bottles, is this true? I am not familiar with those nutrients you have listed. Either way you should never be above 7.0.

Also, your EC seems high. Going off the label recommendation you are likely way too high. You should likely be feeding between 1.5 and 2 if you are using synthetics.

Your light is pretty intense and maybe too close. I would recommend turning down to 50% until your problems clear up and then turn up the intensity to 75% and see if they can handle it. Lots of strains -- Sour Diesel comes to mind -- do not like a lot of light and can get stressed out of given too much.
BioBizz is a liquid "Organic" Fertilizer.
Its the Product :
BioBizz Grow:
  • Total Nitrogen (N): 4.0%
    • Nitrate Nitrogen (NO3): 2.3%​
    • Ammonium Nitrogen (NH4): 1.66%​
  • Phosphorus Pentoxide (P2O5): 3.0%​
  • Potassium Dioxide (K2O): 6.0%​
BioBizz Bloom:
NPK 2-7-4
  • Nitrogen (2%):
    • Ammonium (0.48%)​
    • Nitrate (1.5%)​
  • Phosphorus (6.49%)​
  • Potassium (4.36%)​
  • pH: 5.7​
BioBizz TopMax
  • Nitrogen: 0.1%​
  • Phosphorus: 0.01%​
  • Potassium: 0.1%​
  • Iron: 0.009%​
  • Zinc: 0.004%​
  • Molybdenum: 0.001%​
  • Boron: 0.011%​

I use mineral soil and organic fertilizer.
Yeah my Light is strong thats true.
My Tap Water is more to PH 8-8.1 and my drain a little lower 7.5-7.7 (with fertilizer,calmag,mgs04)

Last time, I measured the EC value. I know it's actually unnecessary in organic cannabis cultivation, but the result was an EC of nearly 3000, which I also consider too high. I had a 4-week vegetative phase.

I only transplanted from a 0.5-liter pot 1x into a 16-liter pot with Lightmix.
Maybe my Soil is "Dead" ?

Attachments

• Biobizzint.PNG
    Biobizzint.PNG
    61.2 KB · Views: 13

Marla1337

My Plants are a Blue Dream, Power Plant (DP) , Girl Scout Cookies

The problems have become significantly worse since the flowering phase. Sometimes, I have also fertilized more than the manufacturer's recommendation. Could it be that I am giving too much nitrogen and therefore causing problems with potassium deficiency? Does the deficiency look like a potassium deficiency to you?

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Does anyone have an idea what problem I might be having? My plant is in week 3 of flowering.

• Substrate: Jiffy Lightmix
  • Light: Migro Array 5x5 750W currently at 100% intensity, 40cm away ~ 800-1000 PPFD
  • Nutrients: BioBizz Grow, Bloom, TopMax at 100% schedule, CalMag 1ml, tried Epsom salt
  • Pot size: 16 liters
  • Water: pH 7.5-8, Drain: pH 7.3-7.7, EC 2.8-3.0
  • Watering: Every 4-5 days when the soil is thoroughly dried, 4 liters until drainage starts.
You need a slow flush, and don't use the bloom until late flowering. Same for the Topmax.

At this stage of early flowering, you should only use the Biobizz Grow, at an EC of 1.3 max, working upto 1.6 maximum.

Also, if the water is straight from the tap, it likely has a lot of chloride and/or chloramide in it. I needs to evaporate chloride by standing next to the plants for at least a day. Whether it worked will show from the fact that both the pH and EC will be significantly lower after a day or two at room temperature or higher.

As long as they're not showing nutrient deficiency after that, you're good.

Marla1337

You need a slow flush, and don't use the bloom until late flowering. Same for the Topmax.

At this stage of early flowering, you should only use the Biobizz Grow, at an EC of 1.3 max, working upto 1.6 maximum.

Also, if the water is straight from the tap, it likely has a lot of chloride and/or chloramide in it. I needs to evaporate chloride by standing next to the plants for at least a day. Whether it worked will show from the fact that both the pH and EC will be significantly lower after a day or two at room temperature or higher.

As long as they're not showing nutrient deficiency after that, you're good.
I can use tap water with 8.x or water from a garden well with 5.9 ph that should be nearly rainwater quality i will use the wellwater with calmag and grow then. Do u see any overfertilizing? What u think is my problem here ?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Hello friend there's a lot of good information above. The best way to know what's going on in your garden is to test the leachate. On watering day after you water the plants thoroughly let the watered plants set for an hour or two. Then pour about 500 ml of distilled water on top of the watered pots. Catch the runoff in the bottom tray and test it. Test the EC and pH and you will find what your problem is.

Marla1337

Hello friend there's a lot of good information above. The best way to know what's going on in your garden is to test the leachate. On watering day after you water the plants thoroughly let the watered plants set for an hour or two. Then pour about 500 ml of distilled water on top of the watered pots. Catch the runoff in the bottom tray and test it. Test the EC and pH and you will find what your problem is.
I measured the pH and EC during the last watering. The values were 7.8 pH and 2.8 EC. I am growing on mineral soil with organic fertilizer. I need to water today or tomorrow and will proceed as you suggested and report back. Do you think I should fully fertilize at the next watering or use little to no fertilizer if you look at the pictures? I would water with well water at pH 5.8, depending on whether you say with or without fertilizer because the runoff pH was already 7.8 pH last time.

linde

Could be numerous issues. Ph and EC are high. Could be light stress pretty close for 750w led at 100%. Plus thoroughly drying out soil before watering isnt always a great idea. I would start with a good flush and raise your light a little or dim it down. Don't wait til soil gets bone dry to water. Cannabis isn't a succulent plant. It likes water. That would be my suggestion.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Do you think I should fully fertilize at the next watering or use little to no fertilizer if you look at the pictures? I would water with well water at pH 5.8, depending on whether you say with or without fertilizer because the runoff pH was already 7.8 pH last time.

As others have suggested, reduce everything. pH, ec and the light. Use the well water with cal/mag and flush. Then mix feed to around ec of 1 - 1.5. And reduce the light to 50%. Get the plant back on track.

_ross_

Last time, I measured the EC value. I know it's actually unnecessary in organic cannabis cultivation,
You may want to reconsider this assumption. correcting the pH to 6.8-6.2 will put less stress on your soil and it will remove one more variable while you try to fix your issues. I grow in soil and I always pH. Can you get away without doing it? Maybe! Should you do it.... maybe not.

If this was my plant I would do a flush at 1.0 with 16 liters(your container size) to reset it back to a reasonable EC.

And, once you get your EC down don't go above 2.0 the next time you fertilize.

EDIT - In Summary.... turn the light to 50%, flush as discussed above, and then fertilize at 6.5 pH and 1.0-1.5 EC for the rest of the grow. Check your runoff every watering or every few waterings to see if you are on track (ideally in soil there is no runoff that's more of a hydroponic thing)

Marla1337

I will water my plants tomorrow. I still have organic fertilizer from Hesi at home. It is a starter set box - mineral liquid fertilizer. I think if my problem is a deficiency, I could counteract it faster with this than with the organic BioBizz fertilizer. What do you think? My deficiency symptoms are increasing and becoming more pronounced, and they really look like a potassium deficiency from the appearance alone, but I can't say why I'm getting it. Do cannabis plants have such a massive need for potassium in flowering weeks 3-4 that my fertilizer application was not enough? I have increased the lamp distance; currently, about 600-800 PPFD are hitting my plants. I will try to provide pictures.

Marla1337

You may want to reconsider this assumption. correcting the pH to 6.8-6.2 will put less stress on your soil and it will remove one more variable while you try to fix your issues. I grow in soil and I always pH. Can you get away without doing it? Maybe! Should you do it.... maybe not.

If this was my plant I would do a flush at 1.0 with 16 liters(your container size) to reset it back to a reasonable EC.

And, once you get your EC down don't go above 2.0 the next time you fertilize.

EDIT - In Summary.... turn the light to 50%, flush as discussed above, and then fertilize at 6.5 pH and 1.0-1.5 EC for the rest of the grow. Check your runoff every watering or every few waterings to see if you are on track (ideally in soil there is no runoff that's more of a hydroponic thing)
Ok, I will do that tomorrow. But please keep in mind that I have fertilized organically, not mineral-based. Only my soil in the pot is a lightly mixed mineral fertilizer. Does what you said about the EC value also apply when I fertilize mineral-based? I will flush with about a 0.5 EC. I tested my water earlier with CalMag and a bit of magnesium sulfate (to get the right ratio). 1 liter has a 0.5 EC, so I will flush with that until my drain is about 1500, right? After I have flushed, I will wait and then water a bit later with my mixed nutrient solution at 6.5 pH (I mix tap water and well water + fertilizer to get the pH value) which also has a 1.5 EC, right?

_ross_

I think if my problem is a deficiency,

You do not have any deficiencies you are having toxicity issues.

Does what you said about the EC value also apply when I fertilize mineral-based?

Mineral based, or synthetic, organic, bottled organic... its all the same when you read the EC which is the amount of nutrients in solution.

I will flush with that until my drain is about 1500, right?

That's still high. When I ran hydroponic I never went above 1400, which is less than 2.0 on the 700 scale.

If this were my plant I would make 4 gallons of solution at 1.0 and run that all through the container. Test the runoff to make sure its coming out around 1.0 as well.

After that....

Firstly don't let them dry out as much as you have, they do enjoy smaller more frequent watering.

When you feed.... Let's say you feed at 700... take a runoff reading. If the reading is below 700 that means they are eating more than 700 and the next feeding go up to 800 or so.... test again.... keep increasing slowly until you get a reading where the runoff is more than what you are putting in... that indicates you are over feeding since they didn't eat everything you have put in... once you get this back off a few hundred ppm. It's much better to slightly underfeed than to overfeed. Cannabis likes a lot of nutrients but once its too much it really can't handle it well at all.

Marla1337

Yesterday, I flushed the plants. Today, the tips of some leaves are drooping slightly, possibly due to excess water. I flushed with pH 4.5-6, adjusting by feel, as the runoff was 7.5 and varied depending on how I tilted the pots. The EC should now be roughly under 700-1300 for each pot.

I couldn't lower the pH below 6.5-7, even with a very low pH solution of 10L. Upon reflection, I realized I've been using magnesium sulfate for the past two weeks without CalMag. My water has 95ppm/l calcium and 7ppm/l magnesium, so I added magnesium sulfate, accidentally overdosing it in parts.

After much reading, my question is: Could the excessive magnesium have disrupted the Ca

ratio? Could this have blocked calcium uptake, leading to potassium issues despite potassium fertilization? If my soil was already saline, compounded by calcium deficiency blocking potassium uptake due to high pH and excess magnesium, could this be the problem?

Attachments

• overwatert.PNG
    overwatert.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • defiencyold.PNG
    defiencyold.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 9

Marla1337

check update

Brother Nature

It would be wise to invest in a a soil ph and ec meter, run off isn’t the best measurement of what’s actually going on in your soil. Also remember that in soils, once the deficiency is showing you’re about two weeks behind it, it won’t be a quick fix. That ec is also very high, I would suggest looking into nutrient synergy, too much of one can and will lock out others, too much calcium will block out potassium, etc… This also happens when the soil dries out too much between watering, the ph fluctuates and locks out nutrients. The plants don’t look too bad though in saying all that. I’d luck mate.

Marla1337

I flushed on Tuesday, and now it's Friday. I just checked the plants, and they still look slightly overwatered, and nothing is changing. They seem to have stopped growing altogether, the buds aren't getting any bigger, and the visual potassium deficiency still seems to be continuing, even though I have supplemented well with BioBizz Bloom.

Okay, the BioBizz fertilizer is organic, so it takes a while.

Does anyone have any idea what's going wrong here? I don't understand it.

Would it make sense to water with just water at the next watering?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I flushed on Tuesday, and now it's Friday. I just checked the plants, and they still look slightly overwatered, and nothing is changing. They seem to have stopped growing altogether, the buds aren't getting any bigger, and the visual potassium deficiency still seems to be continuing, even though I have supplemented well with BioBizz Bloom.

Okay, the BioBizz fertilizer is organic, so it takes a while.

Does anyone have any idea what's going wrong here? I don't understand it.

Would it make sense to water with just water at the next watering?
Don't do anything for a week since you flushed the substrate. The roots are waterlogged and need time to dry. Do you have an EC meter?