What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

~PIFF~ A.K.A. Uptown Haze/Frankies/Church. Preserving a Heritage...

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just checked out the website! Really nice site dude @piffcoastfarms. Looking forward to a future piffs1 and some crosses! Any idea how long that will be? Ive been missing that piff since i moved to california in 09.

HAZENACIOUS

More redline haze
View Image

Cuban black haze on left and PiffS1 on right
View Image

Hi Piff,

Nice Job tracking those down! Those are some of the first decent, legitimate looking NYC Haze pics I've seen on here.

That black haze looks a lot like my old 5hz cut. It was very dark green, almost black. Those hazes do look like 5hz. New York Hazes originated from Seedbank 5hz most likely, judging from the timing of their first appearance.

Happy Times

Here are a few pics of the haze cuts that I’ve gathered over the years.

This one was given to me as uptown haze aka brown haze
View Image

This is Cuban black haze on the left and redline haze on the right
View Image

A few phenos of my piffs2 line (PiffS1 reversal)
View Image

Redline haze View Image

Cuban black haze
View Image

Thanks for sharing! I was wondering how close you think that S2 is to the original and how it compares?

lLucky

They actually have had Piff at my local store, it was some good smoke but I think it could have been grow better...

HAZENACIOUS

I chopped them at about 85.

Way too early I know. Lol. Slightly hypocritical. But I needed the room as things have come up in my life. $ needs to be made.

However. I am convinced enough. I dried them. Put them in jars. Burped them. And sealed them up. Took a small nug out of each to test...

Pheno #1 is the indica leaning plant. She always seemed to lag behind her sister the sativa by about 2 weeks. Her trichrome production started about 2 weeks after Pheno #2 along with bud production and stretch stopping. All about 10 - 14 days behind.
Her smell is unmistakably "THAT SHIT". When smoked, she currently tastes a little greeny and harsh. She needs to cure a little. But the taste is there and the smell of the smoke is EXACTLY the Uptown we all know. This Pheno yielded slightly less, but had larger buds than #2.

Pheno #2 was the sativa leaning plant. Small clusters of buds strewn all over the plant. More triched out. A little stinkier. The smell is DEAD ON IMO. The yield as I said was higher. The stone is powerful even with no cure and freshly dried. Smoke is a little harsh as with Pheno #1 due to I believe they need to cure.

They are finicky IMO and require a lot more work. They do like nutrients alot, but are sensitive to PH flux. I would recommend adjusting the PH of your nutirents even if growing in soil. Organics would be difficult to dial in. She wants to stretch like no other plant I've expereinced. I pinched them both several times during thier stretch. They stretched for about 25 - 30 days. Slowing down towards the latter, but still stretching. I would be very intrested to see how these girls do if they are flowered as huge bushes, trained and kept low. I think they'd explode and REALLY produce. I would say these are NOT suited for a SOG. They obviously get too lanky and require alot of training in that setup. I think big plant style is the way to go with these...

Which brought me to another thought... Outdoors. This plant would produce. Needs to find a home to the south to finish though.

Grown in Fox Farm OF. Dynagrow veg. Fox Farm Tiger Bloom.

I'll write a smoke report after the cure. Here are some pics I took comparing Uptown nugs bought on the block and the plants...
I'll post some dried nug shots.

View Image

View Image (little blurry)

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image
Hi Art,

Now those are some old school 5hzC types if I ever saw them, especially #2. probably 90-100 days to finish 100%? That's dead on for the original 5hz, the seed Nevil himself said was the best he ever did. Great Work! :rasta:
I got cuts from F2s only 2 generations removed from my 88-89 Seedbank cut of 5hz.
Wanted to share some of my Seedbank 5hz with you so people can see the connection. Nevil imports millions of 5hz seeds to USA IN 89-90, in 91-92 all kinds of exotic haze starts showing up all over NYC. Nevil's work is also behind the SD, no big surprise, those in the know understand, it's all about Seedbank Genetics.

These remind me of your cut, also very incense hashy type smoke.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Last edited:

HydroOrganicFla

Veteran
Hi G,

Your pic also Has that old school 5hz look about it
View ImageView ImageView ImageView Image

I think all of these hazes go back to the seedbank.

The information I have heard since 2001 about Cuban Black Haze (from Miami) is that it's a selected pheno of NL5 x Haze found in 1988.

Since then, I have heard this from different, unconnected sources. It all adds up, in my opinion.

Wouldn't it be great to find an original pack of those seeds?

asher1er

Veteran

The information I have heard since 2001 about Cuban Black Haze (from Miami) is that it's a selected pheno of NL5 x Haze found in 1988.

Since then, I have heard this from different, unconnected sources. It all adds up, in my opinion.

Very possible..I will always remember the old man i was doing the care taking for back at barely 15 telling me "yo estado haciendo esto desde que tu estabas en pañales" :laughing: and that was back in 98/99. I believe he was around his 10year mark at that point and extremely hard about the cut not getting passed around. Im glad i was able to pass it to the fam when i did as till this day she is still accessible and i can't wait to get her back in the garden!:biggrin:

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran

if it is true, that ny uptown haze is NL5hz, then it is huge disappointment.. and its all hype... there are much better hazes out there... if it is true then you can just buy pack of mns mango haze and you will get much better plants than any NL5hz... less leafy too.

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
if it is true, that ny uptown haze is NL5hz, then it is huge disappointment.. and its all hype... there are much better hazes out there... if it is true then you can just buy pack of mns mango haze and you will get much better plants than any NL5hz... less leafy too.

I have no idea what piff really is, I live overseas, but I disagree with you on Nl5hz, the problem is that seedbanks usually select pheno less "haze" (or worse, they use that name for other crosses, like (Nl5 x nl1) x haze)
I found some very hazey and trippy pheno in Nl5hz, it's just a selection...

asher1er

Veteran

i wouldnt say ny uptown haze is "NL5hz" but that they are related somewhere some how is very possible.. on another note depending what block you shop'd at then the "uptown haze" might be different to you then what it is to the next man.. :tiphat:

as far as finding better haze... very few and i mean VERY few people have the patience to run a true haze full term. That black haze at 120daze is not for the weak hearted :petting::laughing:

HAZENACIOUS

i wouldnt say ny uptown haze is "NL5hz" but that they are related somewhere some how is very possible.. on another note depending what block you shop'd at then the "uptown haze" might be different to you then what it is to the next man.. :tiphat:

as far as finding better haze... very few and i mean VERY few people have the patience to run a true haze full term. That black haze at 120daze is not for the weak hearted :petting::laughing:
Very Good point Asher,
NL5hz is so many things, it's pretty clear that the NYC hazes started with 5hz, but they evolved from there, don't worry about MAHA, he ain't from the east coast, or even the USA for that matter, and he had a bad experience with 5hz and now he thinks it's just for "herion addicts" only. He thinks hazes that are not all nice light, up euphoric types of highs are fake, and he believes that the extreme potency and heaviness of the 5haze stock comes from Northern lights...
I tried to explain that NL is not what makes 5hz so strong it's the interaction between the Columbians and Thai lines within the haze, and NL just allows these phenos to shine, but all he does is insult me.

Anyway there are a lot of folks who act hostilely even violently towards these types of extreme hazes, and those involved with them because they just can't handle them. I have had plenty of people accuse me of lacing my hazes, and most people don't like them. I have found that there are a lot of heads out there that would rather insult the weed, and pretend there is something "wrong" or "bad" about it, then admit that it's just too strong for them. You called it, these types of hazes are not for everybody. :smoker:

picture.php

HAZENACIOUS

Hi Hydro,
Would be nice, might be hard getting them to pop though, I stopped trying to pop my 90s seed a few years back because I kept getting zero germ rate. The good news is out of 8k seeds or so attempted up to that point over several years, I did get close to 2 dozen volunteers.
Been breeding them every which way since around 2010/11.

They do go back to the Seedbank, you are right, I got mine in 88/89, and I think they have been crossed to all kinds of other stuff over the years, it's no coincidence that these NYC lines look so much like my 5 hazes.
But things evolve over time, people do crosses etc...

Like I just recently like a few years ago, crossed an extreme incense pheno from my 5 haze to a very fine Chem/Diesel/OG type and more recently grew out a bunch of them and selected the most over the top Frankincense Pheno, from them and look what I Got.
Looks like it might be leaning a little towards piff?
picture.php

Last edited:

HAZENACIOUS

Yep, this is my top 5haze type from my Deisel OG crosses right now, and it is a total haze high, mellower and less paranoia than from my 5hzs, not as strong, but still way stronger than any non haze deisel or OG, loudest frankincense pheno, insane. It's like imagine the super loud smell of SD, except instead of that SD fuelly funky smell, it was straight incensey fuel, with bone dry stems, it smokes like hash, a little goes a long way, instead of breaking up it just kind of smears.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

PiffCoastFarms

Thanks for the love everyone, sorry I don’t check this too often but you can always find me on IG. As far as the lineage of the haze I’ve heard a few different stories. One is that it’s From the seedbank in 88 it was the first run of nl5/haze A before everything was crossed to the haze c male. Another is that the Cuban black is possibly a bagseed from a columbian mids pack, third one is that it came from sensi nl5 haze in 92. Most of the original crew is either dead or doing major time after the big 06 bust, so the world may never know. But we all do know and love that smell! There’s nothing like it.

PiffCoastFarms

Few plants I have going now

Few plants I have going now

First one is the golden Audubon haze, we used to call it that puday. This pic is taken at 99 days. It’s my first time running this cut my boy finally let me have it. He always said minimum 120 and now I believe him. Might even go longer. This haze has that gold/yellowish color when it’s finished and smells like incense catpiss and embalming fluid

picture.php

Next pic is redline haze. This cut is a bagseed found off vermilyea ave in 2001 and it was grown in jersey city for a long time. I take it around 80 days and done. This one is the most visually appealing Lime green with red hairs and has a churchy soapy smell with more modern looking nugs

picture.php

Last one is the Cuban black haze from Miami, still early in flower in the pic but the sweet spot for me for this cut is 90 days. This was the most common haze you could find on the block. That musky incense grandmas basement light to darker green and really hairy

picture.php

vanilla dutch

haze is haze.just depends what u like.as far as cuts or seeds available.youd be better off finding a seed in a haze bag then getting a cut from a big ass dominican.just saying.the pictures are great though.looks like its a bit early but defiantly got the smell.

Latest posts

Latest posts