What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Diary PCBuds mini-grow

PCBuds

My closet plant finally looked like she dried out so I gave her a drink.

I whipped up some nute solution.
1/2 gallon if distilled water, 1/4 tsp. MaxiBloom, 4 ml of Calmag Plus, then checked the PH.

Some PH up and it looks good.

PPMs look about right.

I poured it down the tube to try to keep the top of the "media" dry.

indagroove

Veteran
What kind of ppm should aim for in the runoff?
What would considered be too high/low?

Ideally you want the runoff the same as what you put in, but in my experience that rarely happens. Usually if you are within 200 ppm of what you put in, I'd say that's good, but sometimes I've had my ppm runoff drift pretty high (double what what was put in) and still be ok. The important thing is that you have enough runoff to bring it to an acceptable range every watering. It's good to measure runoff to me, mostly to know what a specific strain wants in terms of heavy vs light feed.

PCBuds

Hell yeah, you should grow your own tobacco, it's as easy (if not easier) as weed to grow.
I've bought 6 varieties to plant this year, hopefully I won't be too lazy to grow them.. :biggrin:
I think the price rising issue of tobacco is everywhere, but what's really getting me it's the dramatic drop of the quality.
Am I the only one thinking that smokes are for shit these days?
I use to smoke Gauloises, but they just dissapeared from the market (Europe), and now I can't find even rolling tobacco this brand.
And other brands as well are not what they use to be; Lucky Strike, Camel, Marlboro, Rothmans, nowadays they all share the same fragrance - SHIT.

So I'll have to grow my own, trying to chase the gauloises dragon, thus attempting to re-create the taste of that by blending.
Keep your fingers crossed for me!
And again: please DO order and pop those tobacco seeds, you'll see how rewarding it is. I promise I will guide you as much as I know to curing it properly so you can enjoy a quality smoke.
Actually there is not much to it (curing). :biggrin:
Some varieties gets air cured, and some you just "dry" them in high humidity. Not more than a wooden frame covered in plastic sheet and a tarpauling on top so the tobacco will shade from the sun. With a water bucket inside so you can have humidity.
Another benefit it's the fact that tobacco still is one of the best coins in the world, it's a true "redneck coin" and is one of the most apreciated that won't fade or devalorise, being as apreciated as moonshine and weed.
If you take the trouble to grow it and cure it in a decent smokable thing, you have yourself a cash crop on your hands, mark my words. :tiphat:

My tobacco seeds finally arrived today.

They're fricken tiny. This is 500 seeds!!

SuperBadGrower

^ Interesting!
What kind of yields are we talkin? If I was in Australia I'd switch over to Baccy in a heartbeat. $20 for a pack of dried leaves.

PCBuds

Apparently, you get about 5 packs per plant.

But I know nothing about it.
I don't know if I need something to chop the leaves?

And the empty tubes are the same price as cigarettes from the reserve.

I would need 75 plants to supply me for a year.

I'm just gonna try and grow a few for shits & giggles.

I might need a microscope to plant them. Lol

I get 200 cigarettes for ~$12.

PCBuds

The bottom of the cooler was empty so I made some more nute solution.

This time I used my degassed tap water instead, for comparison.

This was the PH of my mix.

So some PH down.

This was the PPM at the end.

PCBuds

I decided to splurge a bit.

Now I have to go back to the hydroponics store and get some more PH up.

This was the PH with distilled water.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've been looking at the same thing!
How'd the installation go?
I couldn't eben figure out where the water goes in and out looking at the pics hahaha
CC

PCBuds

I've been looking at the same thing!
How'd the installation go?

I have no idea, I just ordered it now. Lol

Apparently, it comes with complete instructions.

I may need to buy some plumbing attachments to make it functional for me.

It's just a small 3-stage filter but it should be good enough for me.

If I like it and I want to start drinking the water, I may invest in a 5-stage system.

I've got my TDS meter to keep an eye on it so I'll know when to change the filters.

indagroove

Veteran
Nice, that filter looks solid. Hopefully it comes with the correct adapters to easily hook up, but if not that stuff is usually easy to find at hardware stores. If you want to use it for drinking water too, you can just buy one of these and add it on, and maybe get a fitting that will allow you to easily switch between either option: https://www.hydrologicsystems.com/products/ecospring-post-remineralization-carbon-filter

The fittings for those 1/4" water hoses are easy to use, they have a weird little gasket that allows you to just plug in hose and be done. When you want to remove the hose you just hold the gasket in while you pull the hose out.

PCBuds

I don't like how it wastes 2 gallons of water to make 1 gallon of clean water but I intend to drain the runoff into my toilet tank.

There are faucets and stuff available to install it in a sink but I don't need that.

I just recently replaced my plumbing pipes with PEX pipe so installing it shouldn't be an issue for me.

I might just drink the RO water straight.
I know that can deplete your electrolytes but I take a daily multivitamin.
I drink, and toke, and smoke a pack a day, so clean H2O might be good to flush out my poisons. Lol

indagroove

Veteran
I don't like how it wastes 2 gallons of water to make 1 gallon of clean water but I intend to drain the runoff into my toilet tank.

There are faucets and stuff available to install it in a sink but I don't need that.

I just recently replaced my plumbing pipes with PEX pipe so installing it shouldn't be an issue for me.

I might just drink the RO water straight.
I know that can deplete your electrolytes but I take a daily multivitamin.
I drink, and toke, and smoke a pack a day, so clean H2O might be good to flush out my poisons. Lol

Yeah, the waste water is unfortunate. That Eco Spring remineralization filter I linked to is only $25, and a very worthwhile investment IMO. I use it, and the water tastes great.

PCBuds

... That Eco Spring remineralization filter I linked to is only $25, and a very worthwhile investment IMO. I use it, and the water tastes great.

I'll keep it in mind.
It's just going to be for the plant at first.

I'll see where it goes after that.

How long does the remineralization filter last?

The replacement filters for my RO system are $54.

I don't want to start spending $100 a month on water.
I've been drinking tap water for 15 years.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I have hard water that I use to make ice, then add RO water to that for drinking. The best of both worlds. :good:

indagroove

Veteran
I'll keep it in mind.
It's just going to be for the plant at first.

I'll see where it goes after that.

How long does the remineralization filter last?

The replacement filters for my RO system are $54.

I don't want to start spending $100 a month on water.
I've been drinking tap water for 15 years.

The Eco Spring remineralzation filter should be replaced every 6 to 12 months. After drinking the water from this filter through a RO system, really no other water tastes as good to me, and it's hands down a night and day difference from tap water. Hard to go back to tap, once you've had the pure nectar.

Latest posts

Latest posts