What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Diary PCBuds mini-grow

PCBuds

Well, I tried some and it worked !

It had that hay taste but a proper cure should fix that.

All the seeds were mature except only 2 green ones that I found and I still had a lot of clear trichs.
I just got tired of waiting for it so I chopped it a bit early.

So I ended up with some pretty good smoke and a whole bunch of viable seeds as well.
Maybe a hermed plant isn't such a bad thing?

PCBuds

These are some trichs after the wash...

I rinsed the branches under the faucet sprayer in the sink then a wash of lemon juice (I couldn't find any citric acid), then a baking soda wash, then another rinse under the spray.

I must have had the water too warm (I didn't check it with the thermometer) because I noticed a few melted trichs and they were dripping down a strand of fur.

So I figure too warm and the trichs get sticky and cling to the fur.

I wanted to use warmer water because I was cold. It felt kinda nice. Lol

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Your best bet for washing buds is room temperature water. Too cold and the trichomes get brittle and fall of (that's how bubble hash works). Too warm and the outer waxy membrane melts and the oil will ooze out like you described above.

PCBuds

I was being lazy and was more concerned about my hands being warm than melting my trichs. Lol
Luckily, it was just a few spots where they looked melted.

I'm thinking next time I'll just spray them with plain tap water if they don't have bugs or mold then maybe a quick dunk in diluted peroxide to kill any spores.
By the time I need to do another wash, the cold water tap should be just about the right temperature.

I didn't have a fan so I bought one for $20 on my last trip to Walmart.
The video showed him drying the buds with a fan and I didn't want any mold to start.

It's really dry in my house right now (about 38% RH) so the buds dried in a couple of days.

I think I'm alright for a cure because my jar is reading 60%.

PCBuds

My SIP container is working great !!
Thanks Reiko for all your help with that.

It's damp about 2 1/2" down so it's wicking properly.
There was no water in the bottom so I added a liter of water to help keep everything alive. (I spilled a bit. Lol)
The water in the container lost its cheesy good smell so I added another tablespoon of "serum" to the water.

I'm just going to pull out the rootstalk and fill the hole with Jiffy Seedling Mix then plant the sprouted seed right in the middle. Maybe a couple of tablespoons of garden lime at the bottom of the hole?

I'm not going to empty out the cooler and just leave all the old roots that worked their way to the bottom in place figuring it is helping the container wick.

I'll water it from the top with plain water until she's got two sets of leaves then switch to nutes for a bit then back to bottom feeding.

PCBuds

EBay, ...
Ten bucks for three of them.

There's no battery.

I've got a couple of digital ones that use a battery.

I like to put a few different ones in the same jar or grow area to see if they agree with each other.

PCBuds

I raised and rearranged my light a bit.

I'm really digging being able to watch the roots.
I think it looks pretty cool!
The plant seems fine.

SuperBadGrower

Algae and other nasty things also love it when light hits standing water :p Roots actively grow away from light just as the top of the plant grows toward the light - all of it based on auxins

PCBuds

I figure if I can keep an eye on the roots I can easily tell when she needs a reservoir change.

If I can keep it sterile, she just sucks up clean water with the right nute solution.

Changing my reservoir is easy now.

I just take a swig from a water bottle, add 1/8th tsp of nutes shake it up, and replace the liquid.
It takes two minutes.

Without the molasses, it doesn't go funky nearly as fast.

No slimy goo...

I've noticed that there are no longer and fine hairs coming off the roots anymore.

Just a fire hose suction pipe sucking up water.

I figure the submerged roots are getting oxygen from the root system above like mangrove trees with their roots poking up above the waterline.

I figure if she's suffering, she will show signs above the waterline.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
A friendly heads ups, those type's of hygrometers can be very inaccurate. I've cared for reptiles most of my life and even had one hygrometer that refused to move more than a few degrees at a time, regardless of humidity.