What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Diary PCBuds mini-grow

PCBuds

Seems overwatered for mee too. Do you ever use h2o2?

I would add 1,5-2ml/l of 3% H2O2 to the next watering. I have a fungicide against pythium called Proplant. It helps in situations like this a lot. I guess Hydroguard may have the same effect.

Anyway, I think you should wter her in smaller dosages..

(sry i forgot to use quote, so this was about the blooming plant. I think, roots are in lack of oxigen again)

Hey Reiko...

I'm using the anaerobic bacteria would hydrogen peroxide kill it?
Is it a bad idea to use hydrogen peroxide?

I am waiting for the water level to get lower before I water now and don't give her as much.

f2obsession

I think H2O2 kills most of bacterias, specially anaerob bacterias, because it oxygenizes the root zone (thats why I use it in case of overwatering). So in this case (you are using good bacterias) i dont recommend it.

Your plant is not in a critical condition anyway, I think she will make it without any drastic intervention. Change of watering schedule will be enough probably..

PCBuds

I think H2O2 kills most of bacterias, specially anaerob bacterias, because it oxygenizes the root zone (thats why I use it in case of overwatering). So in this case (you are using good bacterias) i dont recommend it.

Your plant is not in a critical condition anyway, I think she will make it without any drastic intervention. Change of watering schedule will be enough probably..

Yeah, she's doing okay.
The leaves closer to the top are looking much better without all the drooping.

I'm thinking that she'll perk up with some more time.
I figure she'll just be late to finish but that's fine.
I've got a pretty big stockpile so I can wait.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Hey Reiko...

I'm using the anaerobic bacteria would hydrogen peroxide kill it?
Is it a bad idea to use hydrogen peroxide?

I am waiting for the water level to get lower before I water now and don't give her as much.

Yes it would all bacteria, along with any other microbes. You could use it and the next day add back the anaerobic bacteia via LABs or EM1...

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Anyway, I think you should wter her in smaller dosages..

Mind that air gap, I would agree and water less to maintain some oxygen. Part of the reason I suggested an overfill hole a couple inches below the soil line.

She will come around, soon you wont be able to give her enough water. :good:

PCBuds

Mind that air gap, I would agree and water less to maintain some oxygen. Part of the reason I suggested an overfill hole a couple inches below the soil line.

She will come around, soon you wont be able to give her enough water. :good:

I make sure that she's got an air gap and I'm keeping the water level lower now.
She has at least an inch of air below the soil.
I keep a close eye on the float bob.

She is quite thirsty already, about a liter a day.

PCBuds

Is it okay to let the water level drop until there's nothing on the bottom?
Just let it dry right up before I add more water.

PCBuds

Yes it would all bacteria, along with any other microbes. You could use it and the next day add back the anaerobic bacteia via LABs or EM1...

I think I'm going to skip the peroxide.

I do have a bit of a micro herd and I don't want to kill it off.

She's not doing too bad really.
I think she'll perk up soon enough.

PCBuds

My window plants are doing fine.

I decided to put a timer on the lights so now they turn on at 7 pm and shut off at 7 am.
So just sunshine during the day.

PCBuds

My closet plant is starting to fill in nicely.

Her lower leaves are still a bit droopy but she's doing pretty good overall.

I'm going to let the water level drop right down before I water again.
That will give her a bigger air gap.

PCBuds

My window plants are growing like "weeds". Lol. So I raised the lights and removed a spacer (hockey puck) from the seedling.

The seedling is looking kinda stretched to me but that may be normal. Either way, she was about 2" from the light so I moved her farther away.

PCBuds

My closet plant is looking OK but the soil looked really dry to me so I dug down to where I could find some moisture.

It was powder dry all the way down except the last 1/2" or so above the weave I put in above the clay pellets.

I'm feeling a compulsion to water her from the top but I'm trying really hard to not do that.

You can see where the roots grew sideways from when I transplanted her so my question is, are those roots rendered useless in the dry soil?
Are those roots being supplied water from the lower roots so they can do their thing?

I remember reading that roots need water to "metabolize" nutrients and make them available to the plant.

I did let a plant dry out way too much last summer when I was on vacation and she ended up with a calcium/magnesium deficiency.

I realized that the water level I had it at was pretty much touching the weave so it was soaking up the water.
Now the water level isn't moving at all and I don't know if that's OK?

She is looking pretty good but it's taking every ounce of self-control that I have to not hose her down like a beginner. Lol

q3corn

I don't have any experience with SIP growing, but that soil does look pretty dry... Maybe watering from the top once might activate the wicking process better?
Edit: nevermind, listen to Reiko!

PCBuds

I don't have any experience with SIP growing, but that soil does look pretty dry... Maybe watering from the top once might activate the wicking process better?
Edit: nevermind, listen to Reiko!

Yeah, Lol.

I'm hoping Reiko has something to say.

Fortunately, my plant is looking Pretty Good so it's no emergency but unfortunately, I have a tendency to get drunk and do some bonsai gardening. Lol

PCBuds

Another thing to note is that my last plant had grown Roots right around the bottom corners of the cooler where it was always wet but it grew into it from a Seedling.

I don't know if my transplanted plant had time to grow roots down into the bottom.

I'm wondering how much that has to do with getting the wicking to happen but still, my plant looks too wet?

I do have a lot of other stuff going on other than just the dry medium.

PCBuds

I could dig out each side of the cooler and install a wick...???

I'm thinking some jute twine?

I'm getting a little juiced up right now and kinda feel like some gardening!! Lol

PCBuds

I decided to go ahead and install a wick on the other side figuring I'm probably not going to kill the plant by doing so.

It would probably be no worse than doing this to my plant. Lol

I only had two feet of twine that I could find so I used 1/2 inch nylon rope instead figuring it wouldn't rot either.

I used a pinch bar to push the rope down to the bottom.

The other side happened to be wet only about two inches down, so it was wicking nicely on that side.

I siphoned off the water from the bottom and poured it down the sides to get the ropes wet.

I'm assuming that my bacteria (milk and yogurt juice) are alive and well now because my whole house now smells like cheese. Lol

PCBuds

She's now got an inch and a half of both water and air at the bottom.

(and a slice of stinky Cheese in the middle) Lol