What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Diary PCBuds mini-grow

piramidon

recidivist icmag - OUT-ist convins - microgrower
Veteran
You need sewing machine oil, like f-e said, or you can try hairclipper oil, it's even thinner.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Ridiculously light oils are good to wet some older oil or grease already present. The sewing oil is applied often though as it's really a bit thin for mechanical protection. Getting displaced easily. It's so thin, because you don't want any degree of stiction when moving off from a standstill. So it's specific to that job.

I'm unsure why clipper oil would be thinner.

I quite like pfte, perhaps loaded into lithium. Ptfe is the only thing a gheko can't get a grip of. You may know it as Teflon, the non stick pan coating. Obviously that's a grease not oil, but a very good high temp grease. One unlikely to bind or dry. Bike chain lube is often ptfe now, as it can be a dry lube, which dirt doesn't stick to or dry out.

I had forgot you had that 6" fan I was speaking of. I have out lived more of them than it's wise to publish. It's always the back one that goes first. It's nearer the core, and furthest from the blades. You always need a tap washer in the bracket to, to stop them sagging down. You can fart about with card though, if your tight.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
It depends on the bushing. If it's a solid sleeve, then grease is better as oil will be displaced. Most are sintered bronze though, and will hold an oil. Typically a mono grade in the 30 to 40 region. I think a zero is too thin. Very low drag, but if you have wicking problems, it's going to leave a little too easily

PCBuds

Okay, thanks.
I don't remember for sure but I think the fan had little bits of felt on either end of the armature to hold oil, so I guess that I can use a thinner oil.
I do have some hair clipper oil.

It could have been a different motor that I'm thinking of.

If there's no felt I'll use a heavier weight oil.

PCBuds

The two babies are really taking off now.

I think it's the two "heater bulbs" that made the biggest difference.

My plant in the closet is quite cool too.
It's at about 65°F and I could still put a heater in there but it bothers me to use 500 Watts of electricity to raise the temperature a bit.

I don't mind using 300 Watts for lighting but 500 Watts for heat, when it all just being sucked out of the closet just bugs me.

It is March now with warmer weather coming soon so I think I'll just wait it out.

The plant may be a bit slower because of the cool temperature but I don't think she'll suffer too much?

I'll post some pics when she wakes up.

PCBuds

... I have started watching the occasional youtube and a guy called Harley Smith is nailing unrooted cuttings with masses of light. Finding they will take a lot, a real lot, just as long as everything else is in place. Leading to the thinking that we have been nannying them too much.

That just makes sense to me.

I remember this from Dr. Bugbee's video.

He shows how light is of paramount importance when it comes to plant growth.

You can have every other parameter set up perfectly but without proper or enough lighting, the plant can't make use of it.

That's why I want to give my plants as much light as they can tolerate.

PCBuds

The babies are looking good...

I switched places of the two plants to get the seedling closer to the sun from the window.

It's interesting how the seedling will lean away from the SIL and toward the sun from the window even with the SIL 2 1/2" from the plant.

She doesn't look burnt or bleached to me.

PCBuds

I turned up my sidelights a bit...

I know that 1 gram per Watt is pretty good, and 2 grams per is almost possible, but I want as many "Grams Per Plant" as possible, so I'm crankin it up...

SuperBadGrower

Looking good :) (Un?)fortunately, it looks like this one doesn't have a whole lot of stretch to it. You'll surely maximize it with a plant that reaches the ceiling, but it's kind of hard to predict with some seeds.

PCBuds

.... You'll surely maximize it with a plant that reaches the ceiling, but it's kind of hard to predict with some seeds.

It's not the seed or the strain...

It's me as the damn Gardener... Lol

I need to grow a tall seed/plant...

I will start it from sprout in the closet with my Candy Cane Auoflower next grow...

Maybe no sidelights at all until she's halfway tall...

imakandi

It's not the seed or the strain...

It's me as the damn Gardener... Lol

I need to grow a tall seed/plant...

I will start it from sprout in the closet with my Candy Cane Auoflower next grow...

Maybe no sidelights at all until she's halfway tall...

hello
pcbuds

can suggest?
in mind, think
weather is good
for big plant
mayb
can try koko

hand water koko
is real good
real easy
but is suggest only

luck!
:dance013::huggg:

PCBuds

I've got the coco coir but I'm scared that it holds too much water and I seem to love to overwater...

I could add a lot of perlite...

Or only perlite and go Hempy...

But I like my SIP setup...

I dunno??

Latest posts

Latest posts