What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Diary PCBuds mini-grow

PCBuds

A quality Meanwell driver will give you a better overall efficiency than that Chinese driver, but costs a lot more....

I don't care too much about efficiency.

All my strips together at the test current draw about 220 Watts.

If my drivers are only 50% efficient, that means they will generate 220 Watts of heat but that heat will be outside my cab.

Once I get everything up and running, I can check the power that my drivers draw vs. the power they put out.
I'm sure it's better than 50%.

My biggest concern is having my drivers crap out on me.

I'm going to leave them on all the time and switch the 19.5 V outputs on and off.

I remember doing that with computers and stereo equipment.

They last longer if you leave them on all the time... It just wastes some power.

PCBuds

My plant in the window is looking pretty good...

The single leaf appears to be dying off slowly.

It's interesting to watch what the plant does with it.

I was thinking of transplanting it into my closet when it's ready but then realized it would be too hard to transplant.

I'd have to empty out half my cooler then I'd probably drop the whole plant on the floor trying to get it out of the Kitty litter container.

I'll just start a new plant with my Candy Cane seeds if I ever get my closet finished. Lol 😆

PCBuds

Looks like she is finally taking off!
Is she getting 12/12 now or still vegging?

She is still vegging.
I still don't know what I'm going to do with her and I don't have a way to give 12 hours of darkness right now with her in the window sill.

I guess those preflowers are a bit confusing.
She started off at 12/12 in the closet then went to 24/0 in the window ever since.

So I guess she went into veg after going on the window sill.
Kinda backward from normal because it was a feminized seed.

I wonder if she'll outgrow the window sill?

Maybe I'll just veg her indoors until May 24 or so then transplant her outside?

Kind of a waste knowing she'll probably get stolen but she is just a sideline and experiment anyway.

I almost threw her out when she came out of the closet then I thought I'd just stick her in a bucket and put her beside the window.

I've still got lots of weed in the freezer to tide me over while I drag my butt getting the closet rebuilt.

My solid core Bell wire should be here Monday so maybe I'll get something done then.

bajson

She is still vegging.
I still don't know what I'm going to do with her and I don't have a way to give 12 hours of darkness right now with her in the window sill.

I guess those preflowers are a bit confusing.
She started off at 12/12 in the closet then went to 24/0 in the window ever since.

So I guess she went into veg after going on the window sill.
Kinda backward from normal because it was a feminized seed.

I wonder if she'll outgrow the window sill?

Maybe I'll just veg her indoors until May 24 or so then transplant her outside?

Kind of a waste knowing she'll probably get stolen but she is just a sideline and experiment anyway.

I almost threw her out when she came out of the closet then I thought I'd just stick her in a bucket and put her beside the window.

I've still got lots of weed in the freezer to tide me over while I drag my butt getting the closet rebuilt.

My solid core Bell wire should be here Monday so maybe I'll get something done then.
Preflowers show up in veg aswell when the plant is old enough, would be a shame not to flower her now after all this struggling shes been through.

PCBuds

I was looking at my Great Value SIL and was wondering why it's only 80 lumens/Watt compared to my strips at 175 lm/watt.

[URL=https://i.postimg.cc/RZRzqH03/20200129-182453.jpg]View Image[/url]

[URL=https://i.postimg.cc/3x7TKB35/Screenshot-2020-01-29-18-28-42.png]View Image[/url]

Then I realized that the SIL includes the Wattage of the driver in its specs and my strip is just the Wattage of the LED chips.

So I guess a more expensive SIL would have a more efficient built-in driver and can get a higher lm/Watt rating.

I was reading through parts of the SIL thread and noticed that all that was discussed before.

It's just kinda sinking in for me now.

I guess what's important for me is having as much light as possible with as little heat as possible with little concern about efficiency or energy costs.

PCBuds

Preflowers show up in veg aswell when the plant is old enough, would be a shame not to flower her now after all this struggling shes been through.

Yeah, ... and flowering her outside would be like throwing her in the garbage.

I think I do have enough panda film left to maybe make an easy, temporary tent of some sort.

I've also got an old speaker that measures ~1'X1'X4' tall.
I wonder if that would be big enough for her?

The White Widow doesn't seem to be too bothered by light leaks.
I know my closet has never been perfect.

I could see light getting out when it was on so that means light can get in when it's off.

PCBuds

I could keep her in veg and try my hand at cloning too??

Meanwhile, she's fine in the window while I change my mind 100 more times. Lol ��

PCBuds

I took my plant outside for a bit of fresh air & sunshine today...

After a half hour of sunshine I brought her back in...

She looks happy so does my cat....

PCBuds

I decided to test a light strip. .

The light's been on for over an hour and it's only barely warm.

Remember!!! Never Touch The Lenses!!!

You'll get them all dirty... Lol

PCBuds

I left the light on all night, and it was fine.
I checked the current and it was at around 283 milliamps, so not quite at the test current of 350 milliamps.

The voltage was really touchy.
When I turned it up from 19.6 volts to 19.7 the current jumped and I could see the light getting brighter.
It doesn't really matter though. I'm only going to be using the temperature of the strip with my finger on it to judge when it's too hot.

I won't be anywhere near the maximum current so I'll just keep touching the lights to see if they're getting hot.

PCBuds

I cut away the paneling at the bottom of my closest so I can install a furnace filter.

Now I'm trying to find and seal all the leaks around the closet so the air is only entering through the filter.

It's supposed to trap pollen but I don't know how much resistance to airflow it has, so I want to plug all the leaky spots.