What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

DIY Organic Potting Mix's for Grass - Ace Spicoli

acespicoli

English version

Read the book 📓 Bread from Stones very interesting concepts
screenshot-drive_google_com-2024_10_09-17_24_36.png

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P7xV8QFoa79BObiV7ZDcZLhlz9JcvI-5/view?usp=sharing

A poster here in this thread had mentioned to add glacial rock dust once

Also greensand is already part of the fertilizer and river sand I have some clay sorbent im considering trying
:thinking: theres always room improvement :love:

will review the rock fertilizer recipes in the book as time goes on and leave results :plant grow:
Agrominerals very brilliant my PHD friend :huggg: Thank you for sharing !

Last edited:

acespicoli

Permanent wilting point (PWP) or wilting point (WP) is defined as the minimum amount of water in the soil that the plant requires not to wilt. If the soil water content decreases to this or any lower point a plant wilts and can no longer recover its turgidity when placed in a saturated atmosphere for 12 hours. The physical definition of the wilting point, symbolically expressed as θpwp or θwp, is said by convention as the water content at −1,500 kPa (−15 bar) of suction pressure, or negative hydraulic head.[1]

PH donner

Read the book 📓 Bread from Stones very interesting concepts
View attachment 19081307
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P7xV8QFoa79BObiV7ZDcZLhlz9JcvI-5/view?usp=sharing

A poster here in this thread had mentioned to add glacial rock dust once

Also greensand is already part of the fertilizer and river sand I have some clay sorbent im considering trying
:thinking: theres always room improvement :love:

will review the rock fertilizer recipes in the book as time goes on and leave results :plant grow:
Agrominerals very brilliant my PHD friend :huggg: Thank you for sharing !

Yes, I know that book.
There was a time when I spent many hours looking for this kind of information on the net.

I would like to point out that you can speed up the process that the plants can absorb it by adding 10/15% pure worm poop.

acespicoli

Ratio of carbon to nitrogen​

A conceptual view of C cycling and N cycling during organic matter decomposition.
The soil microbial population releases exoenzymes

(1), which depolymerize the dead organic matter
(2). The microbial decomposers assimilate the monomers
(3) and either mineralize these into inorganic compounds like carbon dioxide or ammonium
(4) or use the monomers for their biosynthetic needs. N mineralization leads to a loss of ammonium to the environment
(5), but this process is only relevant if the organic matter has a low C:N ratio. Ammonium from the environment can be immobilized if the dead organic matter has a high C:N ratio and thus provides insufficient N
(6). The high microbial N demand leads to a retention of N within the organic matter and thus to a decrease of the C:N ratio over the course of decomposition. [3]

Whether nitrogen mineralizes or immobilizes depends on the carbon-to-nitrogen ratio (C:N ratio) of the decomposing organic matter.[4] In general, organic matter contacting soil has too little nitrogen to support the biosynthetic needs of the decomposing soil microbial population.

If the C:N ratio of the decomposing organic matter is above circa 30:1 then the decomposing microbes may absorb nitrogen in mineral form as, e. g., ammonium or nitrates. This mineral nitrogen is said to be immobilized. This may reduce the concentration of inorganic nitrogen in the soil and thus the nitrogen is not available to plants.

As carbon dioxide is released during the generation of energy in decomposition, a process called "catabolism", the C:N ratio of the organic matter decreases.
When the C:N ratio is less than circa 25:1,
further decomposition causes mineralization by the simultaneous release of inorganic nitrogen as ammonium. When the decomposition of organic matter is complete, the mineralized nitrogen therefrom adds to that already present in the soil and therefore increases the total mineral nitrogen in the soil.