What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Outdoor in Ontario issue

420PyRoS

Hey fellas, I'm having an interesting issue, none of my plants (multiple strains in multiple locations) have started flowering this year. AUG 17th and nothing showing except for sexual maturity.

Anyone else or is it too early yet? I remember flowering by now a few years ago.

Seems strange. Maybe Im too high.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Hey fellas, I'm having an interesting issue, none of my plants (multiple strains in multiple locations) have started flowering this year. AUG 17th and nothing showing except for sexual maturity.

Anyone else or is it too early yet? I remember flowering by now a few years ago.

Your photoperiod length should be down enough to at least have florets. Most northern US states are getting tiny florets to pop-corn-sized flowers by now. You may have long-flowering plants. There are a wide range of first frost dates in Ontario. I hope you make it before a frost friend. Keep us posted.

First frost dates for Ontario.
Toronto: May 11–20 for spring frost, November 1–10 for fall frost
Thunder Bay: June 21–31 for spring frost, September 11–20 for fall frost
Timmins: June 1–10 for spring frost, September 11–15 for fall frost
Windsor: April 11–20 for spring frost, October 21–31 for fall frost

420PyRoS

Your photoperiod length should be down enough to at least have florets. Most northern US states are getting tiny florets to pop-corn-sized flowers by now. You may have long-flowering plants. There are a wide range of first frost dates in Ontario. I hope you make it before a frost friend. Keep us posted.

First frost dates for Ontario.
Toronto: May 11–20 for spring frost, November 1–10 for fall frost
Thunder Bay: June 21–31 for spring frost, September 11–20 for fall frost
Timmins: June 1–10 for spring frost, September 11–15 for fall frost
Windsor: April 11–20 for spring frost, October 21–31 for fall frost
Its odd because Im doing indicas and theyre showing nothing in 3 diff locations with multiple strains.

The unknown sativas we put out in july are showing more flowers. Indicas, nada.

I'm near the Capitol region. Should be close to Toronto's frost schedule you posted.

I'm a bit bummed by this.

stiff

Veteran
Like creeper said already..it probably flowers longer then you expected. I also wish you luck to finish before the weather moves in and destroys your harvest.

420PyRoS

Like creeper said already..it probably flowers longer then you expected. I also wish you luck to finish before the weather moves in and destroys your harvest.
Damn ok.

One is gg4 x snow lotus. Both in 8-9 week flower times.

The other is Triangle Kush x legends ultimate indica. The TK i think is around 9 weeks but the LUI is very short flowering.

Idk, theyre all F1's so i guess its luck of the draw.

oldmaninbc

Damn ok.

One is gg4 x snow lotus. Both in 8-9 week flower times.

The other is Triangle Kush x legends ultimate indica. The TK i think is around 9 weeks but the LUI is very short flowering.

Idk, theyre all F1's so i guess its luck of the draw.
Have you grown crops in your area before, if so, what was the flowering time outcome?

It's been many years since I grew in Ontario, if my crop wasn't going to be finished by late oct I would be concerned.

What were the indicated start of flowering times with the strains you have?

I have dug up outside plants out of the ground in the fall, put them in containers and moved them indoors with success.

420PyRoS

Have you grown crops in your area before, if so, what was the flowering time outcome?

It's been many years since I grew in Ontario, if my crop wasn't going to be finished by late oct I would be concerned.

What were the indicated start of flowering times with the strains you have?

I have dug up outside plants out of the ground in the fall, put them in containers and moved them indoors with success.
Yeah I've grown outdoor for a few years now. This my 3rd. From what i recall last two times I had started flowering by now.

Yeah october gets a bit rough here with rain/cold/dampness.

Im not sure the start times. The Triangle kush bx is testers and the Bodhi snow monkeys I havent found much info on.

Ill keep that in mind for the future, unfortunately im not allowed plants at my house... wifes rules lol.

oldmaninbc

Yeah I've grown outdoor for a few years now. This my 3rd. From what i recall last two times I had started flowering by now.

Yeah october gets a bit rough here with rain/cold/dampness.

Im not sure the start times. The Triangle kush bx is testers and the Bodhi snow monkeys I havent found much info on.

Ill keep that in mind for the future, unfortunately im not allowed plants at my house... wifes rules lol.
Rule#1... you definitely want to keep the wife content, same here.
Although back in 2010 when many medical issues became apparent and my doctor agreed to support my licence for personal production and the gov't went along with it. My wife became comfortable with that as long as I wasn't stinking up the home.

Your plants should be showing something in the way of early bloom it's getting on in the season.
I like to keep a grow journal or otherwise I can't remember details. Aside from being old and forgetful, I find it good to have something to look back on, it can be quite useful at times.

Here's hoping something works out in your favor. The start of flowering is as every bit as important as the length of flowering time. Lots of choices these days and with all the available grow reviews on the net, it shouldn't be too difficult to find plants that grow and finish in your area.

It's been about 50 years since I moved from Ont. to BC, the first 20+ years I lived in the Guelph area.

stiff

Veteran
Can you somehow put them in the dark for a day or two? I reckon that would speed them up a bit.
My plants from last winter revegged on me and I was pissed off.
Luckily i tried again and this year it looks much better. So far they're putting on weight.
But I'm nervous, the days get longer slowly. Luckily my tents get emptied soon and I'll be able to finish them indoors

420PyRoS

Can you somehow put them in the dark for a day or two? I reckon that would speed them up a bit.
My plants from last winter revegged on me and I was pissed off.
Luckily i tried again and this year it looks much better. So far they're putting on weight.
But I'm nervous, the days get longer slowly. Luckily my tents get emptied soon and I'll be able to finish them indoors
Ah, 4 plants are in the ground at one location, felt grow bags in 2nd location and in the ground at a 3rd.

I can try and see if we can move/shade the felt grow bag plants if theyre not too heavy.

These genetics are new to me so its definitely a crap shoot for flower times. I know Bodhis stuff can go a bit longer at times.

These kush's though, should be quick. Ill update more in about a week once i get more info.

Also, good luck with your grow as well!
Hope its a good one for you guys!

420PyRoS

I just watched a vid from Pirateboarder Life. He is quirky YouTube grower that grows outdoor north of Lindsay ON. He compared this year's progress against the last 4 years at the end of August and he is saying that things are noticeably behind. See ODG’s GoL Late at the Love Shack? Are the Girls Behind this Year? 5 Season Comparison fwiw . . . :rasta:
Man the comments are wild. Lots of ppl across Canada having this issue.

Thanks for posting this man. I thought I was going crazy. This does not make sense to me.

Like wtf, did we slow down circling the Sun or what? Ive flowerered in 30 plus degree celcius indoor tents no problem, its got to be a light/time issue no?

My buddy thinks this cool week will induce but... thats not my experiance with flowering.

Rgd

Veteran

depends on the variety

some will some won't

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
its got to be a light/time issue no?
That's the trigger. We have had a heat wave on and off this summer but that is not unusual. We have certainly had more rain this summer than we have had for a number of years - I didn't have to drag out my Aqua Joe to water the front lawn at all - but that is more of a micro climate thing for us here.

RoostaPhish

Veteran
Being a 8-9 wk strain has nothing to do with when they will start flowering. That only refers to how long it takes them to finish once flowering has started. What is more important especially up north is to grow varieties that start earlier. And are very receptive of photo period changes even in the slightest. Or even varieties that have acclimated to having little change at all.

Reactions: Rgd

Latest posts

Latest posts