What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

OUTDOOR GROWS 2024 ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE-

Rodehazrd

Question for you guys. I hear folks speak about the dry cycle and the need for one. I have used sips mostly for years and compared to in the ground or regular pots my sip’s grows are better plants. I think having good moisture always available is better than going through times of stress. Can anyone explain the mechanics of torturing a plant with drought.
4EB4706B-EBFF-48D6-B34E-95EAFA60852B.jpeg

mudballs

It messes with the metabolites
If i had any input on it, you can blow past the threshold too easily...just a bit of dryback is good enough.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Question for you guys. I hear folks speak about the dry cycle and the need for one. I have used sips mostly for years and compared to in the ground or regular pots my sip’s grows are better plants. I think having good moisture always available is better than going through times of stress. Can anyone explain the mechanics of torturing a plant with drought. View attachment 19039439

If i had any input on it, you can blow past the threshold too easily...just a bit of dryback is good enough.
Psyiologically, a plant which has a meristem (growing point)go through water deficit will not be able regain the growth rate to what it once was. Meristem tissue must stay turgid with water or else it damages its ability to divide and elongate new cells.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Been just string trimming the vegetable garden and nothing else besides a little hand weeding at the beginning. Getting some green tomatoes, green beans, and squash. Tough plants.

Lost the lettuce, spinach, and waiting on the peppers. Medical cannabis is doing well! :smoke:

About 10 days and males will be cut!

mudballs

Well the concept is for late flower, so the argument  could be made, it dont matter anymore, we're about to harvest the thing...but it doesn't work like that outdoors, even less with monster bushes...imagine an entire field of 8ft high plants in late flower, all wilted out and shit, colas laying on the ground just to get 12% more...

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Healthy roots need a steady supply of oxygen, they need to breathe too. Thats probably why a dry cycle usually helps, but on the other side they need plenty of water, especially at the end during the flush phase.

Watering deep (to the depth of root zone) and infrequently is generally the rule of thumb for a healthy plant whether its turfgrass, corn, or medical cannabis hemp.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think water at the end helps sweeten them up. The flush period.

When does that start by the way? 1 week before harvest?

Watering is usually 10% of the soil volume, so at flush maybe a little more up to 15% soil volume.

Holyherb420

Veteran
The ants are amazing one of the most amazing insects …I’m wondering if that’s even going to be detrimental to the plant? (when compared to the wounds I receive on mine )
No clue lol...brainless things
I wouldnt mind except im trying to deleaf the lowers/insides a bit and they keep biting me the little bast*rds lol

mudballs

Yeah i believe in drybacks...but not that drought stress stuff...im sort of taking the middle road instead of the extreme...a small sign of wilt on outdoor around the 2-3d mark since last watering, you're tapping drought stress signals without the mechanical damage mentioned...you dont want turgidity to completely collapse...super bad
Edit:so during late flowering, last couple weeks i will do drybacks, starve them fkrs of water, but not collapsed osmotic pressure

33eufrat66

heyho,
from north germany

some karma g. pinkysour reg. ladys from my last selection run, outdoor try (organic)

pinkysour#12 planting day 09.07.24

8,7PS12.jpg

pinkysour#12 today

29,7PS12.jpg

pinkysour#13a sour d pheno, today

PS13A.jpg

and pinkysour#13b today, a bit more shadow...
PS13B.jpg

greetz

Last edited:

Rodehazrd

Thanks Mudballs I’m convinced it works I’ll start having a dry period. My sips with a 6’ plant will empty the 6 gallon reservoir in two days so it’s easy enough to let them dry out and September here can be dry.
I didn’t read close enough to be sure but late flowering is the time to do it? during peak trichs production 7-8th week on most cultivars they said.

mudballs

Thanks Mudballs I’m convinced it works I’ll start having a dry period. My sips with a 6’ plant will empty the 6 gallon reservoir in two days so it’s easy enough to let them dry out and September here can be dry.
I didn’t read close enough to be sure but late flowering is the time to do it? during peak trichs production 7-8th week on most cultivars they said.
Yep late flower stage, right when pistils start oranging, earlier is ok i guess. Like the edges of the soil pulls away from tote plastic walls dry, scary dry lol.

Last edited: