What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

OUTDOOR GROWS 2024 ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE-

Energy Turtle

I really like this container, it holds a little extra moisture at the bottom.
Tired of waking up to her wilting after watering her 3 times daily.
Hopefully I get at least a weeks break.
The strain is Northern Lights #5
All pictured are of a clone from a special plant I found this spring pheno hunt.

The bottom four were planted June 14th

IMG_20240712_170122190.jpg
IMG_20240712_124033784.jpg

Old Piney

Yes sir...i have voles/moles, tit mice, but not rats...possums and armadillo are very destructive i know em when i see it...it's gotta be the squirrels....rabbits have never done this or touched my plants and actually let me get close to them from so many years of being a non-threat...gotta be them fkn tree rats
How about chipmunks I've had the cute little bastards keep digging up my zinnia transplants just because

xtsho

I let the critters live. They were here before we were. It just pisses me off when they take the best strawberries out of the patch. Caught this guy/gal munching away a few years ago. I was fortunate to have been outside taking photos of flowers and was able to zoom in with the DLSR and get a decent photo. Look how fat it is from eating my strawberries.

squirrelberry.JPG

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is this years battle...squirrels keep digging my mounds...i learned that if i make the mulch very thick, they kinda stop. 2yrs ago i tried pepper/seasoning dusted into mulch, 99% sure it did go mobile and ruined my copa genetics smoke...so no pepper/seasoning...i dont wanna chicken wire my mounds...anybody got some ideas?
View attachment 19031322

This is what I use for digging animals. Also use Liquid fence which is for rabbits/deer but its multipurpose from what I have seen.

Been seeing rabbits running around a lot doing mowing work. Need to go check the plot.

Glad the plants are hanging in there OG_noMan. Over time they will heal and start regrowth of the vascular tissue.

Glad you put up rings.

Mudballs--are you doing anything to protect your plants as they get planted out. Looking good, going to have a nice crop! :smoke:

xtsho

This is what I use for digging animals. Also use Liquid fence which is for rabbits/deer but its multipurpose from what I have seen.

Been seeing rabbits running around a lot doing mowing work. Need to go check the plot.

Glad the plants are hanging in there OG_noMan. Over time they will heal and start regrowth of the vascular tissue.

Glad you put up rings.

Mudballs--are you doing anything to protect your plants as they get planted out. Looking good, going to have a nice crop! :smoke:

That's mostly capsicum and does not last. It's more effective to urinate around the area to keep small animals away. The human scent is more of a deterrent than something that dissipates in 24 - 48 hours.

Blood meal is somewhat effective and provides nitrogen. It's not good if you're growing beans or peas though. It has a detrimental effect on those particular plants growth.

mudballs

Uses oil of black pepper, piperine & capsaicin to repel
i did try a similar approach and i could swear it tainted my smoke...i know it sounds bonkers but i sprinkled the seasoning on and around a mound..it kinda worked, they stopped messing up mulch...but then i harvested the plant, and when i smoked it, huge taste of peppery stinging type flavor. Couldn't smoke it, whole plant discarded

mudballs

Just curious why don't you plant right in the ground?
Wonderful question...my property is family vaca cabin on 40ac...for over a decade cows were allowed to graze on it, so it's all ultra compacted. Dig 4" and ur into heavy silted soil...if i do in-ground the roots can't penetrate past the area i dig and prep with good soil...also any rain water is held far too long in the hole, waterlogging roots, plant performs very poorly. There's just too much plowing, discing, required to change this place.

linde

Wonderful question...my property is family vaca cabin on 40ac...for over a decade cows were allowed to graze on it, so it's all ultra compacted. Dig 4" and ur into heavy silted soil...if i do in-ground the roots can't penetrate past the area i dig and prep with good soil...also any rain water is held far too long in the hole, waterlogging roots, plant performs very poorly. There's just too much plowing, discing, required to change this place.
Sounds like Calichie soil. I figured there was a legit reason. I have the exact opposite problem in Michigan. We live in a sand pit. I have to add heavy soil to holes just to keep roots from drying out. Especially with this damn heat wave coming.

Holyherb420

Veteran
Some updates

Left to right Canal Street Runtz, Mango Mintality, Oface
IMG_7825.jpeg

The bane of my existence. Bob Hope. It just never took off. I planted it late and all it got was heat
IMG_7830.jpeg

This Governmint Oasis was planted late like bob hope but it took off.
IMG_7831.jpeg

Left:Key Lime Pie Right:Banjo
IMG_7827.jpeg

This one is a beauty! Curacao at over 6ft
IMG_7823.jpeg

Mixture of plants at 6ft
IMG_7833.jpeg

Pre 64 Runtz
IMG_7832.jpeg

Moroccan Peaches at 6ft
IMG_7822.jpeg

Just had some rain this morning and a nice warm 106 is scheduled for this afternoon lol.

xtsho

I was looking at my plants and noticed about ten of these on them. Glad I saw them as I was going to spray tonight. Juvenile Assassin Bugs. They're the good guys. I saw a few munched spots on the leaves but I'll let these guys take care of things for now and put off spraying my organic, bee safe, solution for another week or two and let these soldiers grow to adulthood while eating the bad bugs.

assasinbug07132024.jpg

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Plants were almost all standing up after an inch or 2 of rain and some gusty winds this week. Got there a little late, but got through about half to 3/4 of the plants pulling males that aren't going to be good pollen producers. Will go through them a couple times tomorrow to try to get everything figured out. Here's what we have so far.Lots of females happy plants. Got some great pollinators ready to go too!
:smoke:

full
No rabbit/squirrel damage. Put down Liquid Fence repellent just in case. Plants were mostly standing after the rain. Kind of tedious going through all the plants to find males, but its easier because I pull almost all the small ones. :smoke:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Critter ridder and liquid fence are indended to be used for ornamental beds or perimeter applications from what I understand. Sorry to hear about losing a plant to the pepper application. Thanks for the warning!

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have the 11 pollinator males chosen, everything else is female, maybe one or 2 still unsure. Great spacing this year and the plot is going to have a nice full canopy.

Fertilized with cottonseed meal, and found out the Hi Yield brand cottonseed meal isn't organic. Won't be using it next time. I had some of the Espoma Organic cottonseed meal, so half of the rate was the good organic stuff. The Hi yield smelled much different, kind of hot, almost like insecticide. Hoping it doesn't affect the crop. I think they will be alright. Scratched it in the surface of the soil and it should rain a this week.

Its not very clear on the labels. The Espoma is not OMRI approved organic material but they say its organic and its derived from food grade cottonseed meal.

The Hi Yield brand cottonseed meal is labeled not for use in organic crop or food production in California, but doesnt mention any other standards, so I thought i'd try it. I looked on the website, its not organic. Sometimes a company may have a safe organic material but will choose to not label something as organic simply because the cost is too high and not worth doing for their business.

May get some guano and more organic cottonseed meal. Great, even better. :smoke:

full
Watch out to make sure the cottonseed meal is organic. Had to get by in a pinch and use half rate of a not organic labeled cottonseed meal. It smelled kind of hot almost like insecticide. Hope it doesn't absorb in the plant or anything. Will get some good stuff for feeding next month! :smoke:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I really like this container, it holds a little extra moisture at the bottom.
Tired of waking up to her wilting after watering her 3 times daily.
Hopefully I get at least a weeks break.
The strain is Northern Lights #5
All pictured are of a clone from a special plant I found this spring pheno hunt.

The bottom four were planted June 14th

View attachment 19031693 View attachment 19031694
How well does that canal irrigation work? Interesting setup. Please explain how you do that!
I was looking at my plants and noticed about ten of these on them. Glad I saw them as I was going to spray tonight. Juvenile Assassin Bugs. They're the good guys. I saw a few munched spots on the leaves but I'll let these guys take care of things for now and put off spraying my organic, bee safe, solution for another week or two and let these soldiers grow to adulthood while eating the bad bugs.

View attachment 19032094
Saw a immature assasin today at the garden. Found a couple caterpillars to squish. One was a small tent caterpillar black with fuzz and the other was an inchworm resembling a stick. A little damage out there, but not slowing them down.