What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Osmocote, my favorite plant food - easy peasy, complete

Old Uncle Ben

Nice shots, nice plants.

Used Osmocote 15-9-12 on Cannacopia Lapis Mtn. indica. Bud was 3.3 oz dry. Harvest was about 5 months after I threw in a light handful on the top of the backfill when I upcanned from the germ pots. Notice lots of healthy green leaves left? Buds were nice on this little plant and the high is so potent.

Harvest March 9#2.jpg

Cana. Lapis Mtn. cure.jpg

Cana. Lapis Mtn. cure#2.jpg

Cost of feeding 8 little, pure indica plants? About 50 cents. :tiphat:

All were males but the Lapis and Monkey Balls (Deep Chunk backcross).

Uncle Ben

Last edited:

islandpreservation

Nice shots, nice plants.

Used Osmocote 15-9-12 on Cannacopia Lapis Mtn. indica. Bud was 3.3 oz dry. Harvest was about 5 months after I threw in a light handful on the top of the backfill when I upcanned from the germ pots. Notice lots of healthy green leaves left? Buds were nice on this little plant and the high is so potent.

View attachment 18915436

View attachment 18915434

View attachment 18915435

Cost of feeding 8 little, pure indica plants? About 50 cents. :tiphat:

All were males but the Lapis and Monkey Balls (Deep Chunk backcross).

Uncle Ben
damn that looks great, nice cross with the monkey balls! deep chunk coming thru strong. I use osmocote on all my nursery plants, never thought about using it on the herbs. might have to give it a go after seeing this

islandpreservation

Yeah she dispels a lot of religiously held beliefs with hard science and people get upset. When it has been scientifically proven that compost tea is a total waste and it does nothing. Using compost teas is like one of the holy commandments for many marijuana growers and she said that you can prove it to people that it doesn’t work with peer reviewed scientific data and it doesn’t matter to believers, they will do it anyway.
I would believe anything she would say because she uses peer reviewed scientific data, over anybody on this or any other marijuana site. Her credentials, her body of work and her experience in the field make her an authority who should be trusted. She doesn’t have beliefs, she has proven facts.
Sad that you won’t listen her because now I would never listen to you.
thats interesting stoked to check out your link, strange how most ag scientists dog on compost tea. I too believe in peer reviewed science. Ted radovich at UH hawaii had a 150 k grant to research compost tea and started of a disbeliever, he changed his tune after. https://www2.hawaii.edu/~theodore/Compost_tea.html

Old Uncle Ben

curious ben do you do anything for pest control or foliars?

My only problem is mites. I sometimes stick my plants in the greenhouse and often give them full sun. A blast of water a couple of times gets the mites. They hate moisture with populations ramping up during hot and dry or low RH periods. Mealybugs and mites are epidemic in my greenhouse, hard to control mostly my fault for not acting. I might foliar spray with Forbid 4F which takes care of all family of mites in every one of their stages. Whiteflies too.

Here's a severe mite attack on my old C99 backcross in the greenhouse few years ago. See the fine whitish mottling of the leaves? It totally fouled up the crop. Potency sucked because they rendered the leaves pretty lame and contrary to popular forum "leafing" hype, it's leaves that make good bud.

As an aside my C99 backcross and the progeny I did about 21 years ago looked like clones. That's how stable it is. All seeds germinated too. Cold storage, dry.

Mites2.jpg

Uncle Ben

islandpreservation

My only problem is mites. I sometimes stick my plants in the greenhouse and often give them full sun. A blast of water a couple of times gets the mites. They hate moisture with populations ramping up during hot and dry or low RH periods. Mealybugs and mites are epidemic in my greenhouse, hard to control mostly my fault for not acting. I might foliar spray with Forbid 4F which takes care of all family of mites in every one of their stages. Whiteflies too.

Here's a severe mite attack on my old C99 backcross in the greenhouse few years ago. See the fine whitish mottling of the leaves? It totally fouled up the crop. Potency sucked because they rendered the leaves pretty lame and contrary to popular forum "leafing" hype, it's leaves that make good bud.

As an aside my C99 backcross and the progeny I did about 21 years ago looked like clones. That's how stable it is. All seeds germinated too. Cold storage, dry.

View attachment 18916373

Uncle Ben
Wow thats brutal, thats funny I was just out spraying down my C99's that are getting slammed by mites and flies.

I also have these tiny white flies that are smaller than whitefly I don't know what they are, but they suckle leaves, seems cindy is super vulnerable, she will get strong out here or shes wont make the cut. sounds like you got a good old cindy, you getting that pineapple from her?

ps I also graft and plant much rare exotic tropical fruit, and use osmocote strictly in my nursery. We are on similar pages it seems :)

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
normally i will bomb my tent in veg, and sometimes rite b4 12/12 again - i have also used various sprays from neem, safersoap, also with clove,teatreeoil, rosemary oil- this is for mites, but knock-on-wood last few grows i have been spared, but... PM seems tobe be a problem... so this grow, i sprayed em down with water, and coated the leaves with sulphur... and then sprinkled the soil with DE... we will see...

Old Uncle Ben

We are on the same page, too cool.

I have the original C99. Bought the seeds from Ron owner of Heaven's Stairway. It has the fruity taste on your palate.

Tropical fruits? Now you have my heart. I have been grafting and producing avocados, mangos, citrus, pitaya, annonas, pineapple, maters and such in a large greenhouse for many years. That's where my passion is. I tip trees to keep them around 14' or so. I've grafted 4 varieties of oranges on my key lime tree. They are sugar sweet. Osmocote is all I use. My citrus trees get about 12-14 oz in Feb. of each year.

Screwed up the formatting on this one LOL. Here's Moro blood orange and Reed avocado in your quote. .

T-bud citrus graft.

CitrusGraftMay25#2.jpg
PineapplePleasureFruit#2.jpg
MeyersFeb15.jpg

Grow hard,
Uncle Ben

I have the original C99. Bought the seeds from Ron owner of Heaven's Stairway. It has the fruity taste on your palate.

Tropical fruits? Now you have my heart. I have been grafting and producing avocados, mangos, citrus, pitaya, annonas, pineapple, maters and such in a large greenhouse for many years. That's where my passion is. I tip trees to keep them around 14' or so. I've grafted 4 varieties of oranges on my key lime tree. They are sugar sweet. Osmocote is all I use. My citrus trees get about 12-14 oz in Feb. of each year.

Screwed up the formatting on this one LOL. Here's Moro blood orange and Reed avocado in your quote. .

T-bud citrus graft.

View attachment 18916469 View attachment 18916470 View attachment 18916472

Grow hard,
Uncle Ben
How much osmocote do you feed your trees? And how do you take care of them aside from pruning?

Old Uncle Ben

How much osmocote do you feed your trees? And how do you take care of them aside from pruning?

"My citrus trees get about 12-14 oz in Feb. of each year."

Citrus are heavy feeders. The others get less, like 4-10 oz/year depending on their age and such. I try to remember to spray them with Bonide All Season Hort. Oil late winter. If pests really get bad I'll add 1 tsp. of bifenthrin to that oil mix. Both are very low toxic with a very short half life.

UB

Old Uncle Ben

normally i will bomb my tent in veg, and sometimes rite b4 12/12 again - i have also used various sprays from neem, safersoap, also with clove,teatreeoil, rosemary oil- this is for mites, but knock-on-wood last few grows i have been spared, but... PM seems tobe be a problem... so this grow, i sprayed em down with water, and coated the leaves with sulphur... and then sprinkled the soil with DE... we will see...

You don't get leaf burn (phytotoxicity) with Safer's or sulfur?

I don't do tents so I don't have a problem with PM but if I did I'd use one of my copper fungicides, Magnabon CS2005. It's very broad spectrum, even controlling most blights.

My (pure) indicas were so leafy it looked like someone took their boot and squished them. Internodes were about non existent!

No PM or any disease issues.

Cannacopia Lapiz Mtn. indica#2.jpg

DeepChunkApril8.jpg

LapisNuggetMarch7#2.jpg

Uncle Ben

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
You don't get leaf burn (phytotoxicity) with Safer's or sulfur?

I don't do tents so I don't have a problem with PM but if I did I'd use one of my copper fungicides, Magnabon CS2005. It's very broad spectrum, even controlling most blights.

My (pure) indicas were so leafy it looked like someone took their boot and squished them. Internodes were about non existent!

No PM or any disease issues.

View attachment 18916629

View attachment 18916630

View attachment 18916631

Uncle Ben
so far, no burn , or bad effects- i dusted em when i transplanted from small pots to their final 5gallon resting place... its been 2 weeks... so far, so good... only problem is getting the temp up... i read under led's u want 80+ F... i'm barely at 75F... i guess if i turn off the fans, the temp will rise, but i want the airflow, and changing of air....

islandpreservation

nice haul

T-bud citrus graft.

View attachment 18916469 View attachment 18916470 View attachment 18916472

Grow hard,
Uncle Ben
nice haul man. thats awesome what you are doing it. takes a lot of dedication and learning. I collect wierd fruits from all over the place too. Not a lot of people growing anonnas in greenhouses! Our island has a crazy diversity. For annonas I got poshte, illama, rollinia, atemoya, cherimoya, custard apple, junglesop, soursop, mountain soursop, spinescens (tastes like pumpkin), I could go on haha. Got over 20 eugenias too :) Will have to send you some pics. And wow that cindy 99 sounds legit. Im growing old peak seeds stock hoping to find some tropical tastes. Thanks for sharing

Old Uncle Ben

nice haul

nice haul man. thats awesome what you are doing it. takes a lot of dedication and learning. I collect wierd fruits from all over the place too. Not a lot of people growing anonnas in greenhouses! Our island has a crazy diversity. For annonas I got poshte, illama, rollinia, atemoya, cherimoya, custard apple, junglesop, soursop, mountain soursop, spinescens (tastes like pumpkin), I could go on haha. Got over 20 eugenias too :) Will have to send you some pics. And wow that cindy 99 sounds legit. Im growing old peak seeds stock hoping to find some tropical tastes. Thanks for sharing

Too cool. I grafted 5 cherimoya varieties on a rootstock. Think I got one measly fruit on it. Gonna pull it for another Gary Zill mango, probably Rosigold. BTW, I've had 2 bad freezes due to heater failure, running out of fuel etc. and bounced back. Had Rollinia too. Here's the source, was from Hawaii, 2016:

Hawaii rollinia.jpg

That's a lot of Eugnias! Peak19? I did a lot of crosses with that one 20 or so years ago. Still have some of those seeds. One of my best was a male Peak19 X C99 cross. Sure wish I had those seeds now! I gave most away for an auction to help out some grower who got busted years ago. Damn if the Canadian Royal Police didn't confiscate them at customs.

2002 crosses:

C99 X Peak19 ready for harvest

C99XPeak19#1@Harvest3.jpg

3.5 week flowering.

C99XPeak19_3.5WksFlowering.jpg

C99 @ 6.5 weeks. C99 had a rep for being done around 7 weeks.

C99C@6.5wks-2_18Sharpened.jpg

Uncle Ben

"My citrus trees get about 12-14 oz in Feb. of each year."

Citrus are heavy feeders. The others get less, like 4-10 oz/year depending on their age and such. I try to remember to spray them with Bonide All Season Hort. Oil late winter. If pests really get bad I'll add 1 tsp. of bifenthrin to that oil mix. Both are very low toxic with a very short half life.

UB
how do you measure how much feed to use per plant/tree?

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
do u feed your citrus year round? ... i have 1/2 dozen small trees, in pots which i take in to my greenhouse room in late fall, and bring back outside in late spring... mine are small, in 1, 2, 3 gallon pots... meyer lemon,limes, etc

islandpreservation

Too cool. I grafted 5 cherimoya varieties on a rootstock. Think I got one measly fruit on it. Gonna pull it for another Gary Zill mango, probably Rosigold. BTW, I've had 2 bad freezes due to heater failure, running out of fuel etc. and bounced back. Had Rollinia too. Here's the source, was from Hawaii, 2016:

View attachment 18917186

That's a lot of Eugnias! Peak19? I did a lot of crosses with that one 20 or so years ago. Still have some of those seeds. One of my best was a male Peak19 X C99 cross. Sure wish I had those seeds now! I gave most away for an auction to help out some grower who got busted years ago. Damn if the Canadian Royal Police didn't confiscate them at customs.

2002 crosses:

C99 X Peak19 ready for harvest

View attachment 18917180

3.5 week flowering.

View attachment 18917184

C99 @ 6.5 weeks. C99 had a rep for being done around 7 weeks.

View attachment 18917185

Uncle Ben
wow those ladies look lovely ben! Yeah I was able to track down some increases of peak seed stock at justahandful seeds. Can't say it was the most perfect experience but I have high hopes for them. Hunting for hawaiian punch Sorry you lost that cross man looks like she was quite a yielder.

good to see rollina making it around, seems like everyone loves that fruit. We have tons of seeds most of year if you ever need it again and one of the best culitvars ive had. .
Man never heard of multi grafted cherimoya, high level.. That one can be finicky. I do atemoya double graft side veneer onto pond apple with atemoya cleft onto cherimoya interstock. making it work. Seems to be the best way for the rains out here. Grafting durian though always feel like brain surgery such high stakes!! and always low success epicotyl graft. sorry to hijack thread with grafting geekinees, I will stop hehe..one last thing kasturi mango is the best fruit I ever tasted

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts