What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

- Opiated Thai Sticks: Myth or Truth? -

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I bet it can be found too but just like here Wally as time goes on those that have it and love to grow it become less and less.

The worse thing that happened to cannabis in Thailand was the handing out of a million High CBD plants and Thais not understanding the difference to those to that of the genetics of the past. Then having all the poly hybrids imported in just added to the decline.

The one thing we can both agree on is the old Thai was the best cannabis special.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Even if the laws remain legal allowing every one to grow, and I think that will be how it plays out as the cat's out of the bag now, in Thailand and even if you were to hand the Thais the genetics from the 70s that made Thai weed famous, the genetics would only be bastardised.

The only way those genetics would survive as is would for them to be grown in very isolated areas/ villages or indoors, where the plants can't be cross contaminated by industrial hemp or by poly hybrids. Then you would also need to protect them from people like Aryan.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I bet it can be found too but just like here Wally as time goes on those that have it and love to grow it become less and less.

The worse thing that happened to cannabis in Thailand was the handing out of a million High CBD plants and Thais not understanding the difference to those to that of the genetics of the past. Then having all the poly hybrids imported in just added to the decline.

The one thing we can both agree on is the old Thai was the best cannabis special.
na i dont think that had a lot of affect to be honest , though i didnt applaud the idea of the cbd plants,
the local stuff was already mostly gone other than in the odd spot ,
and its not to say anyone was going to breed with the stuff , probably unlikely ,
they didnt really do things like us , and the place was totally overwhelmed with laos brick ,
which i wouldnt doubt a lot of stuff being grown was from seed out of that laos brick,
not so much from seed of thai plants 45 plus years ago ...
so the introduction of hybrids and medical grade stuff , wouldnt have done a lot of harm ,

lets face it , we cant tell the thais , or anyone else in thailand what they can or cant grow,
and its only fair they have availability to the same stuff we have to try ,
im sure in time many will think as some of us and go back to their roots ,
that hybrid stuff doesnt stimulate a lot of work , and isnt great to toke in such hot and humid climates because it makes one feel lazy and sleepy , the original thai was go go weed ...
well unless u put opium on it of course , be like putting half a dozen sleeping pills into a cup of coffee i guess ..

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I remember they also told people weed was coated with hash oil in the old days
i did that for Christmas once! bought a couple bags of good weed, picked out the prettiest buds in them, and worked the rest down with pure grain. after the alcohol was gone, i rolled the buds in the oil left behind & wrapped them in foil to give away for presents.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I think this is more about you guys trying to convince others that laced weed never existed, well good luck with that one.
everyone has agreed for the 100th time that laced weed existed ,
and its likely weed was also infused with opium at some point too ,
there is no argument at all with that from me , or anyone else ive seen ,,

the only thing we are debating , well myself and i guess others ,
is there was there any commercial thai sticks infused with opium???
for the reasons we have mentioned a hundred times ,

maybe u had some weed with opium , or some water on it ,, lol . ,
but there is not one single shred of evidence they were doing this commercially in isaan where the thai stick was coming from ,
no one saw it , no reports , thai people denied it even ,
plenty of first hand experiences of those days though ,
but every close enough to the sources , or even those who saw ,
said no opium on thai sticks ,
they also all say they came from the isaan provinces in the north east ,
no one reports getting or seeing thai stick in the north around the opium areas ....

so either its a fabrication , or it wasnt done in or around thailand ...

have u thought about this water and how there would be enough opium left to even have an effect ,
once they had finished ?? if there was enough to have an effect , as i said the technique must have been not so good , which would be a heck of a surprise given the money they stood to make ,
and , why would they be transporting either thai sticks , or that water 600 + kilometres across poorly built roads , basically goat tracks ,, likely taking weeks to get it to the destination where they had the thai sticks ??

the evidence stacked against this being even considered is insurmountable ...

if it was asked that you prove this beyond a reasonable doubt , there is no chance u could do it ,
you cant even call a first hand witness ,
so u see the problem we have trying to believe this is true ...

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
You said you were 14/15 in 1984 Wally when you smoked for the first time, and it was Thai, and then you said you and the other person started to grow your own as imports stopped I did go back and check, so I knew what I was posting was 100% correct.
what podcast did i say this apparently ,, id like to check , because it is wrong i didnt first toke in 84 at all , we were well into it by then and i left school in 85 and was 17 ...

ninox33

My bit of hearsay.
Sydney, north side 77-83.
I never heard of Thai sticks. Between 77-80 I heard of Buddha sticks, that was it.
I was shown what was supposedly opiated sticks, but they had a white streak that I assumed was mould. Never sampled as I wasn’t keen to stray to far from THC, acid or mushrooms. So I heard the term in the 70s, and my hearsay, is it’s still BS.
Then came the “Sumatran bricks, “compressed”, followed by the large black (C grade) hash run. Kiwi brothers, Saxon. I organised an ounce from the Himalayas in 83-4 via work. That’s when I realised we had been getting shit hash. The old hash and flash (tobacco) bongs did a job, Cellophane wraps, gold stamps, it was better than the blond from Lebanon?
82-3 rolled brown paper sticks were floating around but again average to poor. Local hydro shop worker, similar age to me, just a few months ago tried to tell me that was Durban. Sums up weed culture and history. For the record I don’t believe Durban Poison or Maui Wowie are a thing. But we could fill threads for decades going down that path. Mullumbimby Madness is a good example. A few mountains away right now in a great lightning storm. I’ve read the threads. I believe it existed, but! I’m sure as close as I or many others got was a name a dealer used.
84 got given a seed luckily it was a girl, not sure if fems existed then, but source would have got it from any where as they had access all countries. 1st Afghani plant. Now that I would have believed was opiated, 2 cones would result in 2-3 hours sleep. It stunk. 1984, $250 an ounce. Everyone laughed. “My sales pitch was have 2 cones and I’ll grab the money in a few hours”. Life changing for all my cohort as we had a high tolerance to sativas. Before that all seeds I had grown, in either pots, bush or garden was always sativa. I was growing pot from 16.
Anyway, no debate needed, just my hearsay.

Last edited:

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
the only thing we are debating , well myself and i guess others ,
is there was there any commercial thai sticks infused with opium???
for the reasons we have mentioned a hundred times ,
There is a great article that I found a few years back with pictures of the Early water process taken back in the day showing and explaining how it was done. It was not that complicated, still trying to re find it.

They were not a common thing as in it was not around often I only saw them a handful of times, scored them twice and then preferred the normal ones. They were 1/3 or smaller than the normal ones, and a lot of people my age I know that smoked back then tried them.

I don't see this topic as a big deal, honestly, laced weed is nothing new, and even I was surprised at how many through the Vietnam War smoked heroin in their cigarettes, so this was not just cannabis related during those years.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
but! I’m sure as close as I or many others got was a name a dealer used.
this happens all the time , still today even ,
i know lots of big weed dealers and have a lot of my life ,
the stories they tell to get the job done is like some fairy tales , hahaha ..

some purple stuff we were getting , some of it was almost black , i get it in large bags , in quantity ,
after a few lots , one bag had "black dragon" written on it ,
i had a bit of a giggle to myself , but put the name out there ,
wow now its a thing ,
my mate , who i knew was the one who came up with it ,
said he was giggling to himself when some dudes he knew were googling it while they spoke with him ,

moral of the story , dont believe all of what google says , unless you can verify it through other sources , its just a guide really ,
and dont ,, what ever you do , believe dealers , a lot of what they say is made up to protect names , places , people , oh and for a good story and the odd laugh too ...

Chi13

ICMag Donor
There is a great article that I found a few years back with pictures of the Early water process taken back in the day showing and explaining how it was done. It was not that complicated, still trying to re find it.

They were not a common thing as in it was not around often I only saw them a handful of times, scored them twice and then preferred the normal ones. They were 1/3 or smaller than the normal ones, and a lot of people my age I know that smoked back then tried them.

I don't see this topic as a big deal, honestly, laced weed is nothing new, and even I was surprised at how many through the Vietnam War smoked heroin in their cigarettes, so this was not just cannabis related during those years.
I'd like to know a bit more about this "early water process". Specifically how much opium does this water contain? How much of this opium would then stick to cannabis buds to make this worthwhile? Sure you can smoke smoke heroin in cigarettes, but really opium diluted in water; how much opium is going to end up in a Thai Stick. Fuck all I'd suggest.

If I dipped parsley into bong water I'd have THC infused parsley. Would it get me high?

Last edited:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I'd like to know a bit more about this "early water process". Specifically how much opium does this water contain? How much of this opium would then stick to cannabis buds to make this worthwhile? Sure you can smoke smoke heroin in cigarettes, but really opium diluted in water; how much opium is going to end up in a Thai Stick. Fuck all I'd suggest.

If I dipped parsley into bong water I'd have THC infused parsley. Would it get me high?
i dont reckon it would ,
i also have reservations about this early water story ,
its almost like someone realised black tar substance just would have been too difficult to pass as a story ,
so they came up with another one ...

I mean i know so many older stoners ,, my older sisters boyfriend introduced me to weed , he was 8 years older , my mum smoked weed , and she had a huge group of stoner friends ,
ive met heaps due to being heavily involved in the trade since quite young ,
then of course the forums ,,
all in all this crew would extend from the top of the east coast , to the bottom ,
and could be as many as a few thousand people ,

and i have not heard of 1 genuine case of opiated thai sticks ,
other than 1 fella on here trying to sell it as truth ,
the rest of the crew i know say its a load of bollocks and never happened...

"my dealer told me blah blah" is pretty similar to " i heard down the pub......"