What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

- Opiated Thai Sticks: Myth or Truth? -

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Thai sticks originate from the Hill tribes and those same hill tribes are found in Thailand Laos and Burma most with in what we call the Golden Triangle.

The CIA operated there all through the war, and I would bet still do.
please see above , chi s post in response to this claim ..

as i mentioned before , hmong are not thai people anyhow ,they are from china, and they are not into commercial production of cannabis , they are on tentative ground being in thailand anyhow , doubt they would start dealing drugs and put their existence there to risk further,
they are subsistance farmers , and they usually run stalls at the markets ,
some of these things are known by folks who travel often to these areas and have first hand experience with how things work etc ,
google cannot replace first hand experiences , its fallible, and really cant be relied on to be truthful or accurate all the time , only sometimes ...

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I know what I smoked Chi13 I know the differences between a normal stick or Thai weed to one that was laced, and I personally don't find it a big deal. The 70s and 80s was a wash with opium and heroin. The 80s more heroin the opium started to fade off by the early 80s, then heroin took over.

With all due respect, Wally you were 14/15 in 1984 that was the end of the Thai sticks imports and some years after any opiate laced Thai sticks were seen so well before your time.

We are talking about a drug trade operating with in the territories controlled by Warlords with direct involvement of the CIA, what did you expect a documentary series on the daily operations ?

Heroin use through the Vietnam War was estimated to be at 20% most smoked it and after the war ended and the military personnel went home the demands for drugs continued and to fill that demand drug cartels like those with direct involvement of the CIA operated.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Thai sticks originate from the Hill tribes and those same hill tribes are found in Thailand Laos and Burma most with in what we call the Golden Triangle.

The CIA operated there all through the war, and I would bet still do.
Sure, but the Hmong are one of many. Just wasn't sure why you mentioned them in particular.

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
🦫 Special 🍆
does it matter who manipulated it?

it is still a thing to add addictive substances on weed here and now 2024,,,, just open your eyes and look around.
history did not start with you(us) or will not end with you(us)

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I know what I smoked Chi13 I know the differences between a normal stick or Thai weed to one that was laced, and I personally don't find it a big deal. The 70s and 80s was a wash with opium and heroin. The 80s more heroin the opium started to fade off by the early 80s, then heroin took over.
With respect, you only know what you were told you were smoking. Were you an experienced opium smoker back then to be able to tell? Placebo?

If there'd been opium laced thai sticks back then the press would have been all over it. Seizures at the time were analysed. You can find analysis of Thai Stick from the 70's but no opium present?

Is there any shred of evidence that dipping cannabis in opium water actually results in an opium effect in cannabis, because you need a quantity to have an effect.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
With respect, you only know what you were told you were smoking. Were you an experienced opium smoker back then to be able to tell? Placebo?
No I was not an experienced opium smoker, odds are if I was I would have ended up a junky, but I did smoke opium a couple of times as I said it was easy to get as easy as flower or hash.

You didn't even need to smoke it to know it was not a normal Thai stick, it smelt different it looked very different and it smoked different.

I my self only scored them a few times that was enough I preferred the non laced version.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
With all due respect, Wally you were 14/15 in 1984 that was the end of the Thai sticks imports and some years after any opiate laced Thai sticks were seen so well before your time.
there we go again guessing my age incorrectly again , and my experiences etc ,
opiated thai sticks were before everyones time too , lol ..

i first smoked thai in 80/81 and last in 85 ,
but i have been to thailand plenty since and smoked weed there too , it has similarities to the old stuff ,
just not as well handled or grown ...

since u dont know my age clearly , can u stop guessing it , theres a good fellow ...

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
If you smoked a little too much, and we did and found out the hard way, you then spent hours vomiting it really was not that great of an experience to be honest.

The high was not a happy one or euphoric.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I brought up the hill tribes because the Thai sticks originated with them.
i dont think thats the case in fact ,
just something u searched on google told you that ,
otherwise ,, there is no verified history of thai sticks and hmong people ,
as mentioned ,,
a whole bunch of results on google are flat out wrong ,
dont rely on it for being accurate information , especially if its only mentioned once ,
try to verify by finding first hand experiences , not just someone repeating what they heard , or guessed ..

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
If you smoked a little too much, and we did and found out the hard way, you then spent hours vomiting it really was not that great of an experience to be honest.

and how about the black tar substance , or are you still relying on dj shorts rubbish about the early water theory which is likely not even active , unless it was an inefficient way of extracting the opium into something one could make heroin from , maybe they were ok with throwing away half the opium in this water ???
its highly doubtful ,
as i said a bit like dipping sticks into the water we use to make bubble hash and expecting it to bump up the potency of weed .. its not gonna happen , all the heavy stuff falls to the bottom , this is why one would use water to extract heavier particles , they sink ...

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
there we go again guessing my age incorrectly again , and my experiences etc ,
opiated thai sticks were before everyones time too , lol ..
I'm not guessing anything, Wally, those stats came directly from you.

You are correct I wouldn't have a clue of your experiences just like you don't know my experiences, but you told the story of your experiences with Thai and I listened as did others.

You said you were 14/15 in 1984 Wally when you smoked for the first time, and it was Thai, and then you said you and the other person started to grow your own as imports stopped I did go back and check, so I knew what I was posting was 100% correct.

When was the first time you went to Thailand, 2000 or just after ? The train had well and truly left the station by then, we have better Thai here than they do in Thailand.

Chi13

ICMag Donor

Believe what you will, I won't convince you otherwise. I had a couple of friends vomit from a mates homegrown too, no opium involved, just very strong cannabis.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
You said you were 14/15 in 1984 Wally when you smoked for the first time, and it was Thai, and then you said you and the other person started to grow your own as imports stopped I did go back and check, so I knew what I was posting was 100% correct.
obvioiusly i dont know how old i am either ,
or you heard it wrong or read it wrong ,
i was 16 in 1984 and i started smoking at 13 ,
perhaps u read about me smoking bongs vs joints and misinterpreted things as you often do ,
in fact thats the crux of the issue i have with you hempy ,
your misinterpretation of things , often due to inexperience , or simply belief in what others told you vs first hand experience , which i assure you i have had a lot of ..

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
When was the first time you went to Thailand, 2000 or just after ? The train had well and truly left the station by then, we have better Thai here than they do in Thailand.
we do ??,, yea nah ,
many of the farmers moved across the nearby border into laos ,
with their seed , though seed is and was readily available in laos too ,
you can get excellent samples of thai weed in laos to this day ,
the brick is sometimes very good also , i had a tripping affect from some i had , similar to what one would experience from the old stuff ...

i have grown some from seed too , its great ,
the aussie stuff would not be the same , things change over time adapting to climates etc , due to several sorts of selection etc ...

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Proofs in the smoke and from all the reports from people travelling to Thailand and smoking what's on offer to the seeds being sold and grown, it don't look like too many are finding the lines of the 70s or 80s.

Yet here those lines still exist.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Believe what you will, I won't convince you otherwise. I had a couple of friends vomit from a mates homegrown too, no opium involved, just very strong cannabis.
I think this is more about you guys trying to convince others that laced weed never existed, well good luck with that one.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Proofs in the smoke and from all the reports from people travelling to Thailand and smoking what's on offer to the seeds being sold and grown, it don't look like too many are finding the lines of the 70s or 80s.

Im sure it could be found, what i smoked was grown in Laos, some is average and some is pretty good,
Profs wife called it dancing Thai because it moved after you pour it in the bowl due to the resin we guessed, i ve seen it before with stuff I'd grown before and it was good stuff,
No you can't discount my first hand experiences using second or third hand ones mate, I was there
, i saw it and tried it..

Chi13

ICMag Donor

I smoked something in Laos that was very close to the original Thai stick about 7 or 8 years ago. I'm sure something very close to the Thai stick still exists somewhere in Thailand or Laos.