What's new

- Opiated Thai Sticks: Myth or Truth? -

Status
Not open for further replies.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
From
DJ Short article

An element was added to certain shipments of Thai herb in the 70's: "early water." A by-product of the heroin trade, early water was the leftover water used to create the heroin from the raw opium.

It contained all of the constituents of opium except most of the heroin.

The curing Thai herb was soaked in the water and redried to absorb the opiate alkaloids. The result was a high that was sought out by some, but more than most bargained for. A good wash was an enjoyable thing, but some were over-laced, which caused a dilemma for those who would start spinning after a few hits on a joint.
I only saw them a few times and I scored them from a mate's uncle who was a biker.

I preferred the normal Thai over the Opiated Thai sticks, it was a better experience or high.

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
That’s why opiated Thai sticks is complete bollocks and always has been
bushy, I'm a fair bit older than you are but my words are true...the thai sticks I smoked on here 2 toked and you were rendered stupid...just because you didn't smoke what I smoked doesn't make my posts bollocks...mebbe you got shit for sticks over there but ours are legendary on this side of the pond...our views are no on the same page...

I know for a fact from a. Homie I have boots on the ground in Thailand with . The poppy was painted on with a. Paint brush not dipped . Peace be with u

I just saw that dj short article interesting read , from what I know there’s red string gold string and green , red being what most people got as regular Thai stock and gold being optiated , whether they soaked the herb or painted it on sounds to me like it’s truth either way u cut it all around the board with Thai stock being laced to score extra money

vermontman

Hello All!
Just had to chime in here.
Back in the seventies I smoked heaps of green Thai sticks, gold Thai sticks and my personal favorite though how do I even compare? BUDDHA STICKS! YUUUUUM!
But the simple fact after growing many many beds of Papaver somniferum hello opium poppies and harvesting and smoking many many ounces of raw opium from my own beds, the simple fact is that opium needs a majorly higher temp to combust to produce smoke than cannabis and the effects of all the Thai sticks and loose Thai I had back in the day were not that of opium period!
I have smoked MANY MANY MANY ounces of Thai varieties of Thai and opium my own and some import port black tar and nothing in my experiences would even suggest that there was opium in my Thai cannabis products.
JUST SAYIN! HAHA
Below one of my numerous flower gardens. My strains were Afghan. Turkish, Johnson and Johnson's super strain from Tazmania.
That all being said my largest poppy garden was 50FT X 25FT and to give perspective how much it takes to produce that amount I only harvested 2 ounce of raw opium from about two thousand plants and many, and again many hours of harvest labor. And that harvest once processed did last me two years.
Oh those were the days! HAHA
PS if you look at the glorious bulb close up in the center bottom of the picture you will see the first drippings of that magical juice forming on the newly sliced pod. HAHA

PAPAVER 006.JPG

Last edited:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I know for a fact from a. Homie I have boots on the ground in Thailand with . The poppy was painted on with a. Paint brush not dipped . Peace be with u
no you dont ,
this didnt happen , there is so many misinformed people around ,
no one was painting thai sticks with opium , or dipping them in it ,,

this i s just an urban myth ,, perpetuated by people who never saw anything ,
but were told by someone who apparently had first hand experience ,
but didnt know what they were talking about ,

as many have said , its possible there has been opium at some time mixed with some cannabis ,
but thai sticks , dipped , then exported in mass quantity , nope , that never happened ,
ask the people who were on the ground there buying it to smuggle ,
the thais who were making the sticks and growing the weed ,
there are many who were there , and deny this myth ,
as well as the thais themselves , who say it was an urban myth ,
and why would they even do that to something that was already quality ,
opium would ruin the quality of the high..

add to it that the opium and weed were grown in complete different parts of thailand ,
but totally different people/tribes , who do not do business with each other ,
yes its a load of bollocks ...

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I just saw that dj short article interesting read , from what I know there’s red string gold string and green , red being what most people got as regular Thai stock and gold being optiated , whether they soaked the herb or painted it on sounds to me like it’s truth either way u cut it all around the board with Thai stock being laced to score extra money
original thai sticks used the fibre from the plant to wrap the sticks , no string , dont listen to dj short , he wasnt even there , he was in america making up stories like this because he had no idea of the truth .. the only people making more money was dealers in america telling tall tales to line their pockets further ..

vermontman

no you dont ,
this didnt happen , there is so many misinformed people around ,
no one was painting thai sticks with opium , or dipping them in it ,,

this i s just an urban myth ,, perpetuated by people who never saw anything ,
but were told by someone who apparently had first hand experience ,
but didnt know what they were talking about ,

as many have said , its possible there has been opium at some time mixed with some cannabis ,
but thai sticks , dipped , then exported in mass quantity , nope , that never happened ,
ask the people who were on the ground there buying it to smuggle ,
the thais who were making the sticks and growing the weed ,
there are many who were there , and deny this myth ,
as well as the thais themselves , who say it was an urban myth ,
and why would they even do that to something that was already quality ,
opium would ruin the quality of the high..

add to it that the opium and weed were grown in complete different parts of thailand ,
but totally different people/tribes , who do not do business with each other ,
yes its a load of bollocks ...
You tellem Donald!!!
100% AGREE!!
Let set that record STRAIGHT!!!

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I never saw Thai sticks with coloured string and a lot of it was also not on a stick, it was just compressed. The high with the Opiate Thai sticks was very different, almost a dark experience you didn't need much, but if you smoked a little too much you spend the next hours throwing up.

The 70 even 80s were a wash with opium and heroin, the explanation of some Thai weed being dipped into the "early water." or A by-product of the heroin trade makes sense to me.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I never saw Thai sticks with coloured string and a lot of it was also not on a stick, it was just compressed. The high with the Opiate Thai sticks was very different, almost a dark experience you didn't need much, but if you smoked a little too much you spend the next hours throwing up.

The 70 even 80s were a wash with opium and heroin, the explanation of some Thai weed being dipped into the "early water." or A by-product of the heroin trade makes sense to me.
except ,, the opium and heroine were not even in the same province or same part of thailand ,
only folks like dj and others with no idea of the country could come up with stories like that rubbish,
unless they decided to risk it all and send the opium to the other side of the country to get processed ,
hahahaha ,, yep thats right , no one would do that of course ...

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
When I said the 70 even 80s were a wash with opium and heroin, I meant here and in the US and I assume many other countries.

Thailand also had its fair share of problems from it to.

Thai sticks and Thai cannabis was grown in the North, was it not ?

The hill tribes of northern Thailand and the opium problem​

The so-called Golden Triangle of northern Thailand, and adjacent areas of Burma and Laos is the world's main source of opium, the base of heroin" (04/05/93).

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
When I said the 70 even 80s were a wash with opium and heroin, I meant here and in the US and I assume many other countries.

Thailand also had its fair share of problems from it to.

Thai sticks and Thai cannabis was grown in the North, was it not ?

The hill tribes of northern Thailand and the opium problem​

The so-called Golden Triangle of northern Thailand, and adjacent areas of Burma and Laos is the world's main source of opium, the base of heroin" (04/05/93).

no ,, thai sticks , north east , isaan provinces ,
opium , north , chang mai , chang rai , etc
miles from each other , totally different people ,
who dont do business together ...

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
see this is the problem , the only people perpetuating this myth dont even know anything about the country except what they google ,
and they expect us to believe anything they come up with ??
give it up guys , this is why i closed this thread , it had been beaten to death already and no new information could come forth ,
just rehashing old rubbish and hearsay and urban myths that can never be substantiated ..

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

I smoked Thai Sticks in the U.S. yearly for about a decade. Maybe a total of 15 years from the first time to the last time. It became spotty in the late 70s and early 80s, at least for me. I was one degree of separation from the guy that traveled to Thailand to bring them back.

I've smoked opium, and I have smoked opiated hash. Actually, I believe the opiated hash was hash with heroin in it. The raw opium I smoked was not great, to say the least. A very distinctive experience. I liked the opiated hash. LOL. Both experiences were starkly different than any Thai Sticks I ever smoked. I can say with high confidence that I never smoked Thai Sticks with opium or any other opiate in them.

The first 10 years of Thai Sticks were all identical, as far as I could tell. Very consistent from year to year. They were skinny sticks that looked brown from a distance. Upon close inspection, I could see dark green color in them. They looked to be wrapped on sticks, possibly bamboo, and tied with natural looking grayish fiber, possibly from cannabis stalk.

Only later, when I got them from other sources, did I find different types. I have seen some that were very golden, as golden yellow as the most golden yellow Colombian Gold I have ever seen, as skinny sticks. The high was exactly the same except for maybe not as potent. A couple of times, I got fat sticks, maybe 3 or 4 times fatter than the skinny sticks. These sticks were tied with red thread. They were great weed also, but definately less potent. Still, highly potent by today's standards. I would say that they were much less speedy and paranoid inducing also. I could see how some would consider it a finer grade of weed for these reasons. Wonderful stuff. Think Cambodian Red. They were not as dark brown, more of a golden brown.

I did get Thai brick a few times. It was the same as the skinny brown Thai Sticks except moderatly seeded. The source was the same as the original early Thai Sticks. The golden Thai Sticks and the fat red string Buddha sticks were from other sources.

In conclusion, I highly doubt that there was any use of opium on Thai Sticks. I suspect that this legend was considered possible by people who have never tried opiates, and needed some reason to explain the devastating potency of Thai weed. If I were to compare any other drugs to Thai weed, it would be a combination of psilocybin and a heavy dose of cocaine or even speed. Let's go with that rumor, except for the fact that I have successfully grown seeds from S.E. Asia that expressed the high that I remember from Thai Sticks. I swear I didn't want or need to adulterate it with anything. It was as much as I could handle.
:biggrin:

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Look Donald, I get it you don't believe Opiated Thai Sticks existed and that's fine, but these were around well before you even smoked some came across them others clearly did not.

They were not a common thing, I only came across them twice, and personally I would rather smoke the non Opiated Thai the two times I got them was enough.

ThaiBliss

Veteran

I read somewhere that the color of the string signified nothing but the specific tribe that it came from.

I not sure about the scoring extra money part. Thai weed was top grade, highest quality, most expensive weed throughout the 70s and early 80s. The people who liked it would've paid any price for it. It was unheard of potency. I don't think anyone would want it ruined by opiates.

Status
Not open for further replies.