What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

S

sillyhead123

Does anybody believe a single 8.5w led bulb in a 13" tall box can produce 8g/w dry?

Anybody have pics of them mounted to a low profile heat sink for flush lights.

Last edited:

argo430

Veteran
Cut a ghetto strip in three to get the three different tiers of plant height.

Attachments

• GS fell down and broke in three pieces.jpg
    GS fell down and broke in three pieces.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 24
  • parts.jpg
    parts.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 20
  • what the.jpg
    what the.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 25
  • two.jpg
    two.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 18
S

sillyhead123

Cut a ghetto strip in three to get the three different tiers of plant height.

Nice.
I wonder how this would work in a micro sized grow box. It would help with light leaks if mounting both veg/flower opposite each other.

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
Alien Orange Cookies x Alien Dawg Ether at its 10 week chop under 250w of screw in LEDs (11/13):

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This plant was used as a test of the DankFrank's soil mix in my SIPs and the 250w panel (which was upgraded from 140w). I like to use coat hangers for drying flowers. I've never needed more than 3 for a single plant, this plant filled 6.

Now that some space under the LED array has cleared up, I've moved a Zamaldelica x Ethiopian at 6 weeks (left) and a Mauritius x Ethiopian
day 1 (right) in:
picture.php

M

Mr. Sparkle

Nice plants terpene, love the color, and those Zam X Eth and Mau x Eth will enjoy the space

argo430

Veteran
The Rockwool plants on just GH3-part are booming! At least a month and a half to go I can't wait. So 300 in COTS 9.5 W led in 4 color temps spead all over the place with a 315 in the middle. Loving it,

Playing around with an enclosed 3 base box/ with 2 gang power strip built in for the other strips to plug into. I christen thee the Ghetto Box to go with the Ghetto strips.

attachment.php

Happy 4-20 to all my silent Grow bro's and sisters fighting the good fight!
Here's to us overgrowing the planet one grow at a time! Keep fighting it's what Gypsy has envisioned all along Lets free our plant!

Attachments

• 419.jpg
    419.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 419.5.jpg
    419.5.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 419.75.jpg
    419.75.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 17
  • both sides'.jpg
    both sides'.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 21
  • ghettobox.jpg
    ghettobox.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 21

cheifyc

Here is my girl. Got the seed out of some Platinum Crack from the dispensary. Day 20 of flower under 7 x 8.5w 2700k bulbs. for a total of 59.9 watts.

picture.php

picture.php

angelgoob

Hi guys,
I just finished this bubblegum lady under 7x 13w/2700k/ 1520lumen bulbs:
earlier in flower
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=71351&pictureid=1718315&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]
at harvest:
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=71351&pictureid=1730108&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=71351&pictureid=1730109&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=71351&pictureid=1730110&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

These little bulbs rule ad work well even without the typical scrog/ extra even canopy set up. I just hung them in the tent. She was trained though...

Cheers,

CC

Where did you find those bulbs those are most efficient. What kind are they?

Terpene

Veteran
I was PMed for a scalable screw in LED system that looked clean without totally breaking the bank.

The cheapest way to build these lights is cleated sockets on strips of wood. What if you want a more professional looking series of panels without visible wires?

Attach a plug and a couple yo-yos/light hangers to satin nickel bathroom vanities with as many 14w-18w screw in LED bulbs as there are sockets. Order by number of rows needed to cover grow space (rows on roughly 10-12 inch centers).

18 inch satin panel, 3 light

24 inch satin panel, 4 light

36 inch satin panel, 6 light

48 inch brushed nickel panel, 8 light

60 inch brushed nickel panel, 10 light

You can run these lighting strips lengthwise or widthwise depending on the types of plants you run. Monoculture / clone / uniformly developing canopies would run lengthwise strips where those who run mixed height plants would run widthwise for height adjustability. As an example, in a 2'x4' tent you could run two 48" panels or four 24" panels to cover the same area. Either way you end up with sixteen lights over a 2'x4' and roughly 30w/sqft.

This design was inspired by the mad geniuses in the DIY COB threads, though you'll spend/do a lot less building these panels.
attachment.php

M

Mr. Sparkle

I was PMed for a scalable screw in LED system that looked clean without totally breaking the bank.

The cheapest way to build these lights is cleated sockets on strips of wood. What if you want a more professional looking series of panels without visible wires?

Same but different reason for same purpose, But i agree with your way to make it the easiest, sure adjustable strips that run out to one cord could be made but for simplicity light socket screwed to some wood and wired out is pretty easy to do for most people, and wouldn't necessarily justify a special purpose built light system.

Mind you we all like shiney things, just some more so than others lol

El Tigre

Screw in Leds - small grow tent 40cmx40cm

Screw in Leds - small grow tent 40cmx40cm

Hi guys! some "Summary" pics from my little grow tent... enjoy!
Thx Blynx and other guys for their contribute to this thread, very very usefull.
Commercial screw in led are a very cheap and effective way to grow in tiny spaces:tiphat:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Where did you find those bulbs those are most efficient. What kind are they?

On Amazon, Philips 13w/2700k/1521lumen. I picked these as they have the most power in watts before prices get ridiculous. Seems that everything above 13w/100w candescent equivalent are just very pricey. These were 35€ for a sixpack

Terpene

Veteran
Mind you we all like shiney things, just some more so than others lol

:biggrin: Shiny adds horsepower, its a fact. :biggrin:

I figured if someone was going to show off their clean lighting setup that they wouldn't want 2x2s with cleated sockets. (No offense to those with wood strips/sockets)

The person who PMed me was looking for something that could be sold as a ready to go lighting kit for grow tents as opposed to a cheap DIY solution. Satin nickel / chrome bathroom vanities look a bit more "pro" and pretty closely resemble the classy high end aluminum COB arrays that are being built elsewhere on this forum.

I really want to see someone outfit a 5'x10' tent with about ten of those 60 inch panels similar to RatSideCar's setup but scaled way up. 1400-1600w of LED for about $900 that could potentially do 1gpw.

Medfinder

Chemon 91
Got on amazon Used 6 and 8 light bathroom vanity fixtures for 4 and 7 dollars. the end was dented one one..just bent it back.

picked up 1600 lumen 2700k led 17 watt bulbs from 99.cent store and cut the tops off and pulled the plastic out.

the other 9 watt bulbs are an 4 sided panels that i unscrewed and the panels easily bed flat or redirect.

also gonna break out the fluoros for some 5k spectrum.

BruceBanner

Veteran
@Mr. Sparkle & Terpene
Hey don't give away my identity from those PMs! :D

Here is Lilly I chopped the upper half of the plant, and let the rest ripe more, I taught it's going to be the biggest yielder, but I was wrong, because the thing is that Lilly must be chopped early at about 50 days when the pina-colada smell and effect are on their peak, that's why she isn't fat as other plants...

2mwh1d4.jpg

2rhmp7r.jpg

5be2hk.jpg