What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

n_d_ledz

I dunno, comsider me on the side of mixed spectrum is better. I have 30w of 3000k in a 5 gallon bucket and my veg has 10w of 5000k and 10 of 3000k, veg leaves on same cultivar are larger than those in the bucket with higher intensity lighting. Going to make it 20w of 3000k and 10 of 5000k and see if that changes.

n_d_ledz

i asked this a couple pages back, but what is the appropriate distance of 6500k 16w led's (100 watt equivalent) from vegging plants? i have 2 of them with the plastic cover removed.

Start high, vegging you can have them 12" away. Keep an eye on node spacing and lower until you see what you want. Flower they can be closer but always watch those tops. I have had buds grow into a 10w led no cover and not burn until contact. 2" is as close as i like with those. Keep in mind, closer to bulb reduces penetration. Its about happy mediums.

n_d_ledz

Veg is still going strong. Clones are much happier under the LEDs then the from seed plants that donated them.

few buds/budshots from flower.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 17
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 20
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 21

argo430

Veteran
Added 60 more Watts 5000K so the 315W CML at 3100K and 260W of cots bulbs @10Wea. 3000,4500 and 5000K we wait. 60W sq ft with the 3x3 tray.

Attachments

• gs3.jpg
    gs3.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 324.jpg
    324.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

BruceBanner

Veteran
Added 60 more Watts 5000K so the 315W CML at 3100K and 260W of cots bulbs @10Wea. 3000,4500 and 5000K we wait. 60W sq ft with the 3x3 tray.

I think, because of lack of penetration from LEDs, you would gain much more if half of the LED bulbs, from the too dense bunch, would shine from sides angled towards middle of plants, so that lower buds get fat :)

MdNewgrower

Just gonna copy and paste this here from my grow diary, and say thanks, blynx:kissass:, for inadvertently making me switch from CFLS to LEDS. I have no doubt that this increased my yield greatly over what could have been.

I did have to lower my flowering wattage from 108 to 72 due to heat, but I had crappy ventilation.

Ok, update, but not too much in the way of pics. Harvested at 9 weeks of 12/12. Ended up, after drying, trimming, and into jars, with about 44g dried(my scale is only +/- 1g accurate) from the late harvest, and 14g of buds from the early harvest, so 58g of buds total. Also, 40g of sugar trim/brown sugary fan leaves/stems, that I am going to attempt a first run of QWISO with.

I learned a lot, made lots of newbie mistakes, and I think I can really increase my yield next time, as my buds are light and fluffy for their size. Still, running under 72w of LED bulbs, I ended up with about 58g, so that works out to about .8g per watt!!! Super stoked to try again!

Thank you ICMAG!!!

1st pic is second harvest, untrimmed and hanging to dry

2nd pic is plants after trimming, going into reveg. I really hope that I can get 1 plant to revert.

Attachments

• 20170320_020213.jpg
    20170320_020213.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 20170320_020253.jpg
    20170320_020253.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 16

BruceBanner

Veteran
It's my first indoor, but I think light leak is overrated, maybe if it's for a longer period and brighter than full moon...

2qi9sv6.jpg

Oaxacans, trichomes are clear, maybe one more week till chop?
avlxet.jpg

ourxmv.jpg

2hfl6d5.jpg

They are very frosty, resin going trough the rolling paper easily

Last edited:

n_d_ledz

@brucebanner, those 2 posts really put up a solid argument for "off the shelf LEDs"

well done.

light leaks...IMO have more effect on a plant flowering than its sexuality.... A hermie is a hermie, some just need reminders.....

BruceBanner

Veteran
Thanks Man and all! There are couple of pretty more solid arguments/grows in this thread (over 1 g/W) but' it's too big so maybe you missed them.

I had now a nervous aggression attack towards nonsense and madness of today peoples mind, and I knew, or at least hoped :D that here I will find some goodness and relief lol, thank you very much, it means much when you see that you are on the right way and can contribute to the community.

I'm a rookie and had 3 mini grows in pots in my backyard before this, and long time ago, one guerilla with a bunch of friends, and we had two grail plants in 1999. in the mid of NATO bombing, btw. yesterday was the anniversary when we shot down the "invisible" night hawk bomber from the sky, with some funny outdated rocket, and for the thing to be even more ridiculous, bomber crashed in a village called Budjanovci, translates someting like Mold Village hahahahahaha, where were I, aha, yes, two grails we had and those one are in their own league, would be winners of all cannabis cups even if the jury was corrupted hahaha :D Something else funny about that period was that we made cardboard dummy tanks and stuff powered with just a microwave oven and they took the bait lol anyway paradoxically that was one of the best times in our lives, bombs flying, no electricity, shortage of stuff and shit, but we are used to attacks throughout the whole history of existence so np, but only things that remain and can't be forgotten is the killing of all those people and children, that stays for eternity if they don't repent.

Ah yes back on track, I knew a bit about growing in pots, those were mostly autoflowering, but indoor with photoperiodic plants is a bit different, I fuked it up with too many consecutive late rootbound transplants in too small pots (taught they will stretch more) and underwatering, I vegged them for about two months, and they stayed bonsai because of those mistakes, and I even didn't fed them till couple of weeks ago. But if you do everything right, you should have almost double than on my pics, and I chop a bud from time to time for smoke, so they would be even more fat than on the pics...

What I've also learned so far is that the temperature/ventilation and light position (together with humidity in early stages) are the most important things when growing indoor and with LEDs

If you have problems with too high temperature, you could mount the bulbs outside the cabinet, and just perforate the roof with a bit smaller diameter than the LED circle base is, and put the bulbs outside on the roof, no worry they will get enough heat from the LED base if you are concerned about the day/night temperature difference...

LED bulbs make short internodes, squat plants

LEDs doesn't have much penetration, and if you have space it's better to have a couple of bulbs throwing light sideways on the mid of the plant, so that all buds get equal energy, and in small spaces it means that you can have a small but fat plant from tip to toe, but experience is here to teach you! lol I've learned much here in ICMAG, about half what's needed for best growing, and that's a big help, thanks to all people here!

What I've also noticed is that when I started growing in my sleeping room, demonic attacks in state of dream or mid state have stopped. It makes sense, because church incense has also terpenes and it seems that they have correspondence with the spiritual realm. So everyone that is terrorized by demonic attacks, in dream or in that midstate (not in dream nor awake), should be growing kaneh-bos (kaneh-bosm is plural) in his sleeping room :D

PS: never chop a plant till she really shows her balls lol refering to QM that had like tiny balls on stick for a long time and didn't changed, so I chopped one of her branches for space, but she changed her mind and turned into fastest female of the bunch, she was the latest to show sex, but the fastest in flower :)

Last edited:

n_d_ledz

Thanks Man and all! There are couple of pretty more solid arguments/grows in this thread (over 1 g/W) but' it's too big so maybe you missed them.

Oh man, many times, front to back through this thread. I was growing with a 400whps for over 8 years, no way this transition from 400w to 160w would have taken place without all those other amazing grows. Your grow is most recent to my joining here and has impressed, and helped push the button. My flower space is roughly 16 9.5w bulbs covering a 34"x18", not far off from yours, so it has been a great reference point.

BruceBanner

Veteran
Glad to hear that, btw. from early samplings Lilly is the best of the bunch, both in high and smell :)

Last edited:

earthwyrms

bruce banner, "in dream or in that midstate (not in dream nor awake)"
that's lucid dreaming, one form is "wake initiated lucid dreams" or WILDS
reportedly, cannabis, TH suppresses REM sleep cycles, or makes them shorter or less deep or something. supposedly, taking a break would rebound the effets of REM and a person would possibly have vivid dreams, or by extension, more lucid dreams.
there are ways to learn to lucid dream too

Robney

Damn Bruce! I'm super impressed, enough that I want to try a run like yours: what screw in LED bulbs are you using?

jonhova

Here's some update pics now that I am ready to get into flower. Of the 5 seeds 3 are doing great and 2 never did so well from a very early transplant shock:dance013:. the healthiest is #5 then #4 and #1.
Not sure what sex they are. I am hoping for one of each to make some seeds.

The flowering cab is a 2x27 gallon rubbermaid with 12 9.5 watt bulbs. It seems it grows very tight internodes when the light is too close.

The white stuff is DE for fungus gnats that are now dead.

Latest posts

Latest posts