What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

O

Orrie

Great thread blynx ! Thanks for taking the time to put it all together.

Forgive if this has been mentioned but I feel it is worth repeating

The exposed contacts on the led chips will arc when grounded so use caution. It may be a fire hazard is my fear. Not sure what brushing up against them bare skin would do but I'll let someone else answer that.

Thanks again for the thread.

-Orrie

ion

bruce banner, "in dream or in that midstate (not in dream nor awake)"
that's lucid dreaming, one form is "wake initiated lucid dreams" or WILDS
reportedly, cannabis, TH suppresses REM sleep cycles, or makes them shorter or less deep or something. supposedly, taking a break would rebound the effets of REM and a person would possibly have vivid dreams, or by extension, more lucid dreams.
there are ways to learn to lucid dream too

..........and who's to say you're not dreaming right now?

it's all a dream. never has not been.

enjoy.

BruceBanner

Veteran
earthwyrms, okay, but I didn't talk about that, but about direct demonic attacks, and as I observed you don't need to smoke ganja, just to have a plant in sleeping room that emanates smell/terpenes is enough to stop the attacks of all kind of spooks :) We shouldn't now go off topic with that, because it's a complex one...

Robney boy, I'm using mixed spectrums for flowering, but vegged all under 6000K, some generic S-Light 10W 6000K that were cheap, nothing wrong with them, just the thing with those is that it seems they have no quality control, so from about 12 bulbs 2 fuked up and one of them even started to melt, so it can be hazard, and I'm not buying those no name again, that didn't happen with Philips 13W, all of them working perfectly. So, before you get that plastic cover off them, you need to try them out to see if all are working properly, because when you get that plastic bulb off, you lost the warranty, but anyway I would recommend Philips or some other good brand.

I've also noticed that warmer light with more Watts (Philips 13W 4000K vs S-Light 10W 6000K) produces slightly larger buds and I don't see any difference in resin content between colder and warmer light, gonna make some pics and post it...
Terpene has observed similar, but he says that the colder light produces more resin, what I didn't noticed. Maybe it's also W dependent, I don't know, for proper comparing test you need the same Wattage I think, and then you know for sure what the differences are.

Last edited:

argo430

Veteran
My tent today. The plants seem to be loving it.

Attachments

• tnt329.jpg
    tnt329.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 31
  • tntbig.jpg
    tntbig.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 24

BruceBanner

Veteran
Here the same Oaxaca plant, front left bud is under 6000K/10W, the front right bud is under 4000K/13W, left bud pic is a bit nearer and out of focus, but you can see that the right bud is bigger
(right bud seems thinner in lower department, but that's because I chop some from time to time for testing :D )

f3hlao.jpg

2hy85qb.jpg

121ewj6.jpg

Robney

Bruce thank you so much for giving me the low down! I think I'm gonna have to head down to my hardware store and stock up!

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
58 days under 250w of screw in LEDs on Alien Orange Cookies x Alien Dawg Ether and we're developing that very signature chemdawg look that I was expecting from the ADE influence, however the smell is less ether and more sweet oranges.

picture.php

picture.php

M

Mr. Sparkle

I'm wondering if anyone has directly wired the bulbs together? I took one apart and shoved the wires in a t5 plug and it worked. I'm wondering if I can wire them in a circuit and not use sockets

Not sure if it was address yet, but as another said yes you can, just like some people did with cfl's in the past, the issue is heat dissipation, the chips will cook unless you mount that board to a heat sink of some sort.

Which coincidentally is what im doing and have a bunch of broken down philips 60w/8w on my table at this moment

6L491Gw.jpg

Actual reason why i was in this thread though is im starting a new build and i know some where in here people have some rough wattage per sqft figures.

Currently will be looking at 0.66sqft, and im looking to run possibly 4-6 of these philips 60w (listed 8-8.5w) bulbs broken down and attached to some minor heatsinks, but my measurement show they are only consuming around 6w a piece, so thus figuring i might run a bit more.

Believe people were saying 20-40w/sqft ? Ill be doing some hunting.

I might just try to match similar wattage to my pc cases.

Hen

Not sure if it was address yet, but as another said yes you can, just like some people did with cfl's in the past, the issue is heat dissipation, the chips will cook unless you mount that board to a heat sink of some sort.
Would it be possible to run those 4 boards in parallel on just one of those drivers? If so, how do you figure out how many boards one driver can power?

columbo-quote-one-more-thing.jpg

Do those individual chips spread out on those boards require smaller heatsinks than for example COBs (with packed diodes) of similar wattage?

Thanks.

n_d_ledz

Recent harvest from under the LED panel. Solo cup grown, nice dense structure and real citrus/grapefruit flavor....oh and a hermie and discontinued....damn good smoke tho!

Attachments

• 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 34
M

Mr. Sparkle

Would it be possible to run those 4 boards in parallel on just one of those drivers? If so, how do you figure out how many boards one driver can power?

Do those individual chips spread out on those boards require smaller heatsinks than for example COBs (with packed diodes) of similar wattage?

Thanks.

First No, sure it could be done but lets just say no, because once you run them in parallel your amperage will be 4x as much and im sure they are designed to put out a specific amperage, what that is i don't know because i haven't measured it yet, and that would be for that specific brand and style of bulb.

Now if you know that amperage and output voltage could you source a singular driver to be capable of running them all, definitely and it would be one way to make your own custom light if desired, there is a trick or two to breaking these down but maybe ill grab some pics on one i'll do later today.

As for heatsinks id say it would be the same, so whatever wattage your led module is you should have an appropriate heatsink for it, now just remember how these are normally in bulb configuration as just the base of the bulb is acting as a heatsink, so i would say it would be pretty easy for us to surpass that cooling ability with just some small C channel, only difference with cobs is because they are more densely packed they generate heat in a more concentrated point, vs any array setup, but so long as you have an appropriate heatsink to keep it cool then that doesn't matter.

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
Hey Mr. Sparkle - I am a big fan of the cleanliness of your setups!

I was flowering at 20w/sqft with 16w units:
picture.php

I am now flowering under 30w/sqft with 16w/14w units:
picture.php

I would go 30w/sqft, though anything past that much light is probably overkill. I visited a friends garden with a 1000w and we have the same canopy brightness (roughly 50-65k lux) :biggrin:

Aren't you mounting to a metal PC case? Couldn't the case itself act as a heat sink?

M

Mr. Sparkle

Hey Mr. Sparkle - I am a big fan of the cleanliness of your setups!

I would go 30w/sqft, though anything past that much light is probably overkill. I visited a friends garden with a 1000w and we have the same canopy brightness (roughly 50-65k lux) :biggrin:

Aren't you mounting to a metal PC case? Couldn't the case itself act as a heat sink?

bad idea, you would heat up the entire case

It the past one idea and has been done in other applications was to have heatsinks on the outside but mounted to leds on the the inside and just with a hole cutout to fit the led, and it would work, as for case only, it would get too hot as HPF said.

But who says i'm using a pc case :whistling: , i just got a little spring stir crazy in the last couple days, and just needed to build, as building stuff whether bikes, cars, or other projects is like meditation for me, so i may have a "space bucket" in the works but in my own style, and as cheap as possible, but will also try to have it arduino controlled like my cases, just possibly simplified abit. In reality though i could get away with a wall timer and a blumat to make it super easy but its more fun this way.

n_d_ledz

But who says i'm using a pc case :whistling: , i just got a little spring stir crazy in the last couple days, and just needed to build, as building stuff whether bikes, cars, or other projects is like meditation for me, so i may have a "space bucket" in the works but in my own style, and as cheap as possible, but will also try to have it arduino controlled like my cases, just possibly simplified abit. In reality though i could get away with a wall timer and a blumat to make it super easy but its more fun this way.

I'll be interested to see your "Space bucket" lol. Its a great concept that definitely opens up doors. I built mine and 3 more like it and supposed to have another one done soon, lol... 25-30 bucks in material is not a bad grow space! lol

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
It the past one idea and has been done in other applications was to have heatsinks on the outside but mounted to leds on the the inside and just with a hole cutout to fit the led, and it would work, as for case only, it would get too hot as HPF said.

So you did read my PC thread. :YaRight:

pANicModE

Recent harvest from under the LED panel. Solo cup grown, nice dense structure and real citrus/grapefruit flavor....oh and a hermie and discontinued....damn good smoke tho!

just because a plant produced a hermie doesnt mean much... all plants are prone to throw hermies and yours prob did because of being in a very small cup and the root zone was being stressed out to much.. and not all hermies produce pollen. if a plant throws a few bananas at the very end of flowering i dont see a prob. i have a PlantinumWreck that throws 1-2 hermies at the very end of flowering and produces 1-2 female seeds and the plants blows away 90% of the strains ive seen in the last few years :rasta:

n_d_ledz

just because a plant produced a hermie doesnt mean much... all plants are prone to throw hermies and yours prob did because of being in a very small cup and the root zone was being stressed out to much.. and not all hermies produce pollen. if a plant throws a few bananas at the very end of flowering i dont see a prob. i have a PlantinumWreck that throws 1-2 hermies at the very end of flowering and produces 1-2 female seeds and the plants blows away 90% of the strains ive seen in the last few years :rasta:

I have had a few do as you speak, this however is the 3rd of this cross to show nanners and sacs, albeit this threw them at 8 weeks flower. The nanners seemed sterile, and the sacs had not popped so no telling there. I still have the base of the plant with a few suckers, wife wants another run, so maybe it can space bucket in 2 months..

M

Mr. Sparkle

So you did read my PC thread. :YaRight:

For the most part :biggrin:, but the idea has been around for a while, it was something i was considering back when i started My black case in the end of 2014 start of 2015, but ended up going a different route, as i didn't want heatsinks struck on the outside of the case, i just wanted it to look just like a plain regular pc case and nothing more.