What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

shawkmon

Pleasantly dissociated
Veteran
you gonna drop the seed? i got a sack of legit chem 4 is nice herb, i got come chem4/ og X cherry pie i might start 1 or 2, the guava is half chem4 , its nice i hear i got couple crosses trying to flower outside , im about to drop some new seeds , or some new old seeds , i got me a couple leds, will see whats up

R

ratsidecar

I missed my weekly upate so here is a 6 and a half weeks of 12/12 update.

The scrog plant in soil is looking very autumny with lots of yellowing and purpling on the leaves and a bit of purple appearing through some of the buds. I cant work out if this is a sign of a deficiency or if the plant is coming to the end of its flowering period. I cant find any information on flowering times for this particular strain. It is elite seeds la cheperudeta. Hopefully one of you horticultural experts can point me in the right direction? :)

The other strain is an original sensible seed company purple destroyer. It was a limited edition free seed giveaway and the information on flowering period etc is no longer available on their website.

M

Mr. Sparkle

I cant work out if this is a sign of a deficiency or if the plant is coming to the end of its flowering period. I cant find any information on flowering times for this particular strain. It is elite seeds la cheperudeta. Hopefully one of you horticultural experts can point me in the right direction? :)

No expert here, the coloring is natural but a bit early in my opinion when its like that at 6.5 Weeks, i presume you started going straight water or going light on the nutrients a ways back.

The plant looks fine though nothing you can change now so just let it run out, but yeah it just natural sign of the plant using up the last of its nutrient stores.

Still looks like it has a week and a half or so left as its still throwing out white pistils and those parts don't look as swollen compared to the other parts. But a loupe for a closer look at the trichromes and overall general plant structure will tell you when the plants are really done, just comes from experience.

Keep it up, im sure its gonna be tasty.

R

ratsidecar

Thanks mr sparkle. I have been feeding with the gh flora trio according to their recommendations. I have had to use extra of the grow bottle through late veg/early flower as had been getting a nitrogen deficiency. The plant was vegged for around 10-11 weeks in a 13litre container, I was wondering if it had started to get root bound or just exhausted the soil.
The 2 plants in the 4litre hempy buckets look quite happy though, one is yellowing a little, the other is still very green and they have been on the same feed as the soil plant but were vegged for half the amount of time.

Im assuming I should give the soil plant another week or so of feeding before changing to plain water for a week or so before harvesting. That will give it 8-9 weeks total flowering time, unfortunately I have misplaced my magnifier and cant get any close up of it.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
na its 100% a deficiency but no way to fix it now, better luck next run ;)

Disregard this hopelessly uneducated post (unless I'm missing the sarcasm?).

Fall colors are a sign you're doing it right. In the future, you can push them with ferts for a bit longer but I wouldn't worry about it. You can also harvest a bit later, till all of the white hairs die off / amber trichs start showing. Great looking plants for your first run under the new lights.

there not done yet
there pink, thats a lil extreme, even for 'autumn'
there not in freezing conditions

its not done, its all white hairs (i know people love picking a month too soon i know)

Terpene

Veteran
I have plants turn pink all the time indoors, I'm sure Blynx will tell you the same story.

Color is partially a product of cold response, but lots of plants will color up without cold temps (chlorophyll breakdown) as they finish. Some growers don't want any green in the plant at the time of chop because they're expecting the plant to yellow out from flushing / lack of nitrogen.

In soil nitrogen levels are less of a concern, but I personally think that the plants show more character when they're developing fall colors in both appearance and the final smoke (but the latter is probably placebo / personal preference more than anything).

Heres a few LED indoor plants that colored up with warm temps over the last few months:

Super Rich
picture.php

Tabula Rasa
picture.php

Cherry Tart
picture.php

Napalm
picture.php

Tom Hill Haze
picture.php

Terpene

Veteran
All CBD line called Super Rich from Med Tree Seeds at chop under the LEDs:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

R

ratsidecar

Borrowed a scope and had a look and everything seemed to be ready to chop. So I did. Its dried and jarred up. Got 6oz total.
1.5 oz in each of the 4 litre hempy buckets
2.5oz in the 13 litre soil scrog using cheap poundworld "compost"
0.5oz in the 1 litre shredded rockwool pot

Thats enough to keep me going for a while anyway. Some of the buds seemed a bit on the leafy side but at the end of the day they are covered in crystal and taste amazing.

Next time I will try some better documented strains, with no information on flowering period I didnt have time to give them a week or 2 of plain water before chopping.

The scrog one tastes of lavender and elderflower with an earthy undertone initially, with a mango and papaya finish. At least thats what it reminds me of anyway.

Im real delighted with the results, thats a personal best for quantity to amount of power used compared to using, metal halide, hps, pll or envirolights in the past. I have a calmag supplement to give the next lot to get around the deficiency that I was seeing. Hopefully that will really improve things.

Terpene

Veteran
Finally made a graphic for light output on my screw in LEDs using my ghetto swing style light meter. Hopefully this helps my fellow micro growers in setting up their growing spaces with regard to light penetration expectations.

picture.php

For reference:
outdoors at noon, full sun in the middle of July is >2000
outdoors at noon, bright shade in the middle of July is 1000
1000w HPS gardens I've visited at canopy register at 1000-1500
600w HPS gardens I've visited at canopy register at 850-1100

I generally try to maintain 800-1200 at the canopy for flower. 300 is what I consider to be minimum for strong veg growth and 600 as a minimum for flower.

Gnz

Great work Terpene. The screw in LEDs definitely have more range than I expected, used to CFL I guess.

Knowing my 18w LEDs should be good for flower at 12" makes me want to drop my canopy a little, getting some foxtailing going on but no bleaching at 4-6".

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have some Phillips 14 watt 5000 Kelvin LEDs for supplement. I use them 1 to 2 inches off the top of the canopy. Good growth all the way down on 18 inch plants. About 10 or 12 inches of buds vertical.

Just have them dangling off a cord, 2 to y-splitter. I also have a Area 51 LED light and do not notice any difference between the buds under each light. Dirt cheap and effective imo.

Latest posts

Latest posts