What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

how tf did you stuff that in a 2x1?

my badseeds almost done, bummed about the results but its free weed eh, under t8 & chinese bulbs (its 37days in flower btw)
View Image
its about to start the setting/curing process by now so id post a pic (mind that i take about 50 at once and hope one isnt spazzed out by my hands)

some day before the final solution..
Untitled.png

and a impression from the medical examination
Untitled.png

i tend not to weight till its bone dry and trimmed but not to leave yall wondering i had on an old kitchen scale (with 40gr intervals lol) and it should be around 35grams, lets say the other bagseed is around that too, it will add up around 70 with all the small bottom bits added and moist/trim removed (yes you can spot some seeds, i let the wrenchmonkey go banana's, a little bit, should be around 15 seeds in it)

:tiphat:

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Do you know what PAR is?

PAR refers to a specific spectral region, 400nm to 700nm.

Something, something radiation.

The unit for measuring PAR, micro-mols per second (μmol/s),
indicates how many photons in this spectral range fall on the
plant each second.

My bad, those same photons also fall on people.

PAR is for people and plants.

Lumens for plants, not so much.

Or LUX.

PAR for plants and people,

Lumens for people, not plants.

lol

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This thread is getting side-tracked. I did not start this thread to argue about lux, par, cobx, what is 'best', etc.

This was a simple thread to show you can grow good bud very cheaply with screw-in LED bulbs. That's all it is.

If you don't want to share results that you've gotten with screw-in LEDs and just want to argue about par/lux/cobs/etc, please start your own thread in the lighting sub-forum and have at it.

That said, let's get back to the show.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's the LED cab after nine weeks of flowering.

C99 x Shire (SSSDH)

Day 63 Flower

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

One more week!

MicroRoy

Thanks Blinx

Do you think you might run your bulbs under the meter again? To see if the outputs have changed after putting some hours on them.

I am betting the leds hold up better over time than the cfl's.

frostqueen

Great info, Blynx! Appreciate the time and effort you have taken to explore and share this.

For those looking for a quick and easy way to add side lighting or equip any cabinet with standard sockets, vanity lights https://www.amazon.com/Nuvo-193-Vanity-Polished-24-Inch/dp/B002OMGZLA/ref=pd_sim_60_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=QRAB5THHD2342ZDFK95S are awesome. You can get 2, 3, 4, 6, and 8 light versions, and they are pretty inexpensive. You just have to add the power cord or hard-wire the fixture.

I am so curious what the lumens would be if you had 4 of these 4 bulb units with 15w bulbs in them, in a 2 by 2 square. 16 bulbs pulling ~240 w...

(Of course I bought a bunch of individual sockets and screwed around for hours wiring it all up on a board... and then I found these.)

Here's the deal for me: there will always be new and better COB light types coming out (and even new technologies) in this standard-socket format. By using standard bulbs/sockets I will be able to swap out bulbs whenever I want to upgrade or change the brightness or spectrum. This means that the light source is easily upgradeable in the long term.

For the life of me I can't understand why people still use CFLs. Too much heat, to short a lifespan... JMO of course.

TheScrogFrog

Only thing I dislike about vanity lights is they are heavy and bulky. Was the first fixture I grew with, and I haven't touched it since. Furring strips and some cleat sockets are cheaper and lighter. Also gives you the ability to optimize the space between bulbs as opposed to a pre-manufactured fixture.

I'd much rather put in the DIY work and have a lower profile and lighter piece overall. Those are things you learn after years of experimenting.

shawkmon

Pleasantly dissociated
Veteran
bathroom vanitys at lowes seem so easy , wiring stuff can seem over whelming to people , its pretty simple stuff though, glad we getting back on track with the purpose of the thread , that bud can be grown with cheap screw in leds, ill be getting some and setting up a winter cab soon

brown_thumb

I've been researching grow lights for long enough that I finally grew tired of the subject. So I settled on the 45 watt version of THESE

They seem to have as broad color spectrum as any others, they're not expensive and I think they're probably the correct intensity for my needs. When small, plants will have one light running at one meter distance. When larger, they'll have two lights running at one meter distance.

I'm new to this endeavor and have made many dimwit mistakes. I hope buying these lights isn't yet another error in my growing list of errors.:)

Last edited:

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
Ace Honduran landrace after a recent transplant into 3.5 gallon SIP
picture.php

Med Tree Super Rich (50:1 CBD) finishing up
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

frostqueen

Only thing I dislike about vanity lights is they are heavy and bulky. Was the first fixture I grew with, and I haven't touched it since. Furring strips and some cleat sockets are cheaper and lighter. Also gives you the ability to optimize the space between bulbs as opposed to a pre-manufactured fixture.

I'd much rather put in the DIY work and have a lower profile and lighter piece overall. Those are things you learn after years of experimenting.

Fair enough. I don't really anticipate doing much lifting of the fixtures once installed. (?) As I said, I've wired up a bunch of individual sockets already - it isn't exactly rocket science that you need experience with, after all - and this just seems waaay easier. Your mileage may vary.

Arf

I've been researching grow lights for long enough that I finally grew tired of the subject. So I settled on the 45 watt version of THESE

They seem to have as broad color spectrum as any others, they're not expensive and I think they're probably the correct intensity for my needs. When small, plants will have one light running at one meter distance. When larger, they'll have two lights running at one meter distance.

I'm new to this endeavor and have made many dimwit mistakes. I hope buying these lights isn't yet another error in my growing list of errors.:)

Make sure you plug them into a power meter and verify that you are getting 45watts.

R

ratsidecar

Its just gone week 5 of 12/12 everything is extremely smelly and sticky and the hempy plants are really beginning to get frosty.
Im really impressed with how these LED bulbs are working so far.

so them bagseeds i ran under 80w of led + 55w of fluor (running half time for heat) yielded almost 65g, not bad for about 47 day flowering, just gave some it water

:plant grow:

Gnz

so them bagseeds i ran under 80w of led + 55w of fluor (running half time for heat) yielded almost 65g, not bad for about 47 day flowering, just gave some it water

:plant grow:

That's getting pretty damn close to 0.5 gpw which ain't bad for mystery plants, top work!