What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
... If I were a bulb designer, I wouldn't run them that hot. but I guess you don't want them to last forever or you will go out of business

Also remember they designed them to replace incandescent bulbs which even a 60w bulb gets HOT!

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
As Reikox said: LEDs aren't designed to be held, they're designed to be bright. Our application of household LEDs isn't the standard use - these are incandescent replacements.

Incandescents run substantially hotter than CFLs (and the LEDs that replaced them) and most sockets / fixtures / lamp shades / can lighting reflectors are designed to handle the heat of incandescent / halogen bulbs.

Increasing the surface area of the bulb will increase its natural cooling, but also means that the heat which is dissipating from the bulb is more rapidly entering the grow space. Any way you look at it, LEDs produce less heat than CFLs with substantially more light, so clinging to CFLs as a light source is "so last year" :laughing:

60watts hot? i use a 5w halogen bulb to vaporize hash :biggrin:

terp, the more/faster you can get the heat off the heatsink the faster you can pull that damn heat out of the room ;)

im still waiting for someone to make a led water cooled setup running that water back into a bucket to warm the hydro setup for the plant, fuck yeaaah

Arf

60watts hot? i use a 5w halogen bulb to vaporize hash :biggrin:

terp, the more/faster you can get the heat off the heatsink the faster you can pull that damn heat out of the room ;)

im still waiting for someone to make a led water cooled setup running that water back into a bucket to warm the hydro setup for the plant, fuck yeaaah

You can do that off the shelf with water blocks for cooling CPUs. It's not cost effective. You will be better off just heating the hydro seperately.

N

Navigator

8.5w phillips LED = 60 watt equivalent = 120F
13w GE CFL = 60 watt equivalent = 194F

:tiphat: Cheers ScrogFrog. I like those numbers.

R

ratsidecar

The hempy buckets are only 4 litres, they seem to dry out a bit too quickly and need watered every day with the plants getting a bit droopy between waterings. The plants in them are growing much quicker than the soil one however and there is some purpling of the stems and yellowing leaves so they seem to be wanting a bit more nitrogen.

Arf

The hempy buckets are only 4 litres, they seem to dry out a bit too quickly and need watered every day with the plants getting a bit droopy between waterings. The plants in them are growing much quicker than the soil one however and there is some purpling of the stems and yellowing leaves so they seem to be wanting a bit more nitrogen.

4L is over a gallon, that should be fine, how far from the bottom did you drill the hole? Should be 2" if it dries too fast, change the pearlite/vermiculite ratio to include more vermiculite.

What temperature are you running at?

Last edited:
R

ratsidecar

The hole is 2" from the bottom, 3 parts perlite to 1 part vermiculite. Will maybe try 3 parts perlite to 2 parts vermiculite next time and see if that helps.

Perhaps the strain that is in them is particularly greedy :)

Shukriya1

Nice to see someone using cut off LEDs. I will start my PC grow journal with them as soon as my wife starts school so I can bring my creation to life. Muahaha....

uffda

Hey guys, I'm putting together my first cab and I'm just wondering what color bulbs you're using for veg/flower? I went through the entire thread but may have missed it plainly spelled out.

I've seen standard 2700/6500k mentioned but also just running the entire thing under 5000k?

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
I realize they may all work, but the question was more about what you guys have settled on after experimentation rather than what is theoretically possible.

Just because something might work doesn't mean its optimal.

after experimentation we have come to the conclusion it doesn't matter what spectrum of bulb you use to grow they are all equally shit when compared to the sun so it doesn't really matter. all 5K lights no problem, all 2700K lights no problem, a mix of all in between, no problem. they are all equally not the sun.

Arf

after experimentation we have come to the conclusion it doesn't matter what spectrum of bulb you use to grow they are all equally shit when compared to the sun so it doesn't really matter. all 5K lights no problem, all 2700K lights no problem, a mix of all in between, no problem. they are all equally not the sun.

You are obviously jumping to conclusions without real research.
If you are only testing screw in retail lamps then you are getting about half the intensity in the PAR spectrum that a proper LED COB like a CXB3590 will give you.

Plant growth comes from the number of photons that hit it in the PAR spectrum per day. A lot of sunlight is out of the PAR spectrum.

The sun moves, and has cloud cover, objects get in the way, so the number of PAR photons that to the plants in a day, are greatly reduced.

We can get light so intense indoors that it bleaches the plant, have you seen that happen in sunlight?

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
um...this is a thread about screw in bulbs...why don't you take that cree cob shit to the cree cob led thread? :tiphat:

i've been growing weed and conversing with weed growers from all across the planet for 20+ years... lol no experimentation though...cuz color spectrums are some new shit just invented last week.

no 4000K bulbs or 2700K bulbs anywhere until last week right? no red HPS lights, no white Flurorescents, no blue Mh. none of that...untill right now when crees and cobs were invented. i have no idea what i'm talking about.

i'm off to the store to buy some new fangled technologies so i can test how plants grow under different spectrums of light...

gee i hope i can figure it all out. i don't even have my rocket science degree yet.

I realize they may all work, but the question was more about what you guys have settled on after experimentation rather than what is theoretically possible.

Just because something might work doesn't mean its optimal.
it was more of a "you dont have that many options to start with" white light comes 99% in 3k (2700 with bulb)or 4k the rest is hard to sell to consumers, plus that im NOT seeing any difference in 3/4/5k :tiphat:

AND when i started growing plants i was one of the "i need 6500 for veg mannnn" and spend 10x the amount for a 6500k instead of a 3x more wattage and 10x less money 2700k

it dun do shit...

Latest posts

Latest posts