What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

Goats

these boards are littered with egos and kids who get their feelings hurt far too easily. smh

You really like to argue huh. I was just giving a heads up as I have seen a lot of mold on ikea stuff.
Stop being a dick.
and you wanna argue about mdf leaking gasses and he painting cardboard (paint doesnt gas) while its not mdf so it doesnt gass
most likely ive been growing in more ikea closets than youve seen in your life, what mold?
do you even miss the fact that you should make a closet light/airtight and isolated, and not even USE the wooden parts as a wall?

:comfort:

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's the LED cab after eight weeks of flowering.

C99 x Shire (SSSDH)

Day 56 Flower

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

TheScrogFrog

Looking chunky!

Tested a few of the Philips LED bulb ballasts for temps.

8.5w Philips ballast maxed out around 120F.

14.5w Philips ballast maxed out around 180F.

Pretty significant difference between the two.

N

Navigator

Yeah, I would love to see a comparison of measured heat output between those Phillips bulbs and their CFL counterparts.

TheScrogFrog

Alrighty, gathered several bulbs I had laying around..

CFL ballast heat test results:

10w GE Brand CFL ballast maxed out around 165F.
13w GE Brand CFL ballast maxed out around 194F.
42w GE Brand CFL ballast maxed out around 188F.
42w Ecosmart Brand CFL ballast maxed out around 211F.

Note: I let 'em run for about an hour each and periodically checked temps all around the ballast and recorded the maximum temps. All soft white.

Only thing I am wondering is why the GE brand 42w temp so low? Larger ballast/more even heat distribution? Dunno. It made me curious so I checked a different 42w CFL brand I had laying around, it's an "Ecosmart" and has a much smaller ballast than the 42w GE brand CFL. Didn't have a 23w or 26w around to test, thought I did.. but I couldn't find 'er.

Interesting results.

Arf

Alrighty, gathered several bulbs I had laying around..

CFL ballast heat test results:

10w GE Brand CFL ballast maxed out around 165F.
13w GE Brand CFL ballast maxed out around 194F.
42w GE Brand CFL ballast maxed out around 188F.
42w Ecosmart Brand CFL ballast maxed out around 211F.

Note: I let 'em run for about an hour each and periodically checked temps all around the ballast and recorded the maximum temps. All soft white.

Only thing I am wondering is why the GE brand 42w temp so low? Larger ballast/more even heat distribution? Dunno. It made me curious so I checked a different 42w CFL brand I had laying around, it's an "Ecosmart" and has a much smaller ballast than the 42w GE brand CFL. Didn't have a 23w or 26w around to test, thought I did.. but I couldn't find 'er.

Interesting results.

Shove them in a Kill-A-Watt and check that they are drawing roughly what is claimed from the wall socket.

bigger diameter more surface area better cooling

i took an 'old' 20w cfl to hang above a clone i revegged, instead of the 8w led, and all i was thinking was 'shit, wheres my light??' clf is soooo last year now

Arf

bigger diameter more surface area better cooling

i took an 'old' 20w cfl to hang above a clone i revegged, instead of the 8w led, and all i was thinking was 'shit, wheres my light??' clf is soooo last year now

The big problem with CFL, and most other "last year" lamps, is that they spread the light out in almost a sphere, which requires lossy reflectors to get it pointing to the plants. LEDs have the reflector built into the chip already at a miniature scale where it's more efficient, so instead of the light coming out 360degrees, it might be only a 120degree cone which is a useful spread.

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
Here's a P-91/Destroyer leaning Jacket ([P-91 x Princess Diesel] x Destroyer) at its 14 week chop. This plant spent all of flowering under five 16w 3000k screw-in LEDs.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I threw all my CFLs away months ago.

TheScrogFrog

Shove them in a Kill-A-Watt and check that they are drawing roughly what is claimed from the wall socket.

I've tested a few in the past. They usually draw less than they advertise. I'll test the same ones I did for the heat tests now while I make some bubble hash.

Long night ahead. :woohoo:

TheScrogFrog

Random Stoned Scientist CFL Killawatt test results:

10w GE Brand CFL maxed out at 9.7w
13w GE Brand CFL maxed out at 13w
42w GE Brand CFL maxed out at 39.2w
42w Ecosmart Brand CFL maxed out at 38.9w

Arf

Random Stoned Scientist CFL Killawatt test results:

10w GE Brand CFL maxed out at 9.7w
13w GE Brand CFL maxed out at 13w
42w GE Brand CFL maxed out at 39.2w
42w Ecosmart Brand CFL maxed out at 38.9w

That's good, they are all within 10% of advertised spec.

The surface area per watt determines the temperature. Retail LED bulbs typically measure about the same as those CFL, over 170F (80C) at the base which is the heatsink. They hurt if you try and touch them. If I were a bulb designer, I wouldn't run them that hot. but I guess you don't want them to last forever or you will go out of business

Latest posts

Latest posts