What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

Muleskinner

Veteran
very nice John Dough, did you do anything special to get the canopy so even & flat, or just pinching & pruning?

shawkmon

Pleasantly dissociated
Veteran
take a cutting , grow it inside and it might have huge fat indica looking leaves, take the same cutting outside and grow it and they most always have thinner and more sativa looking leaves, looks like a different plant, my theory is the sun just fucking blazes and inside the plant adapts to try and get as much light as possible, ugg im stoned lol my 2 cents high society

Scrappy-doo

Veteran
but the drivers matter more in this case, since the chips are very much the same (cheap) and it will dictate the lumen per watt/efficiency/heat output, if they choose to put a heatsink in it, they can "double the lumens" for the same production costs (compared to a double the wattage driver/chip and same heat output)

im just using the cheapest shit china can produce :D

Makes sense.

I went to amazon to order one of the philips 18w bulbs to compare but they're just too darn expensive. I did however find these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0152XCOCQ/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which are cool as hell looking and the price was right so I ordered a few to check out. The reviews were pretty funny, people complaining that they're too bright lol. We'll see about that...

very nice John Dough, did you do anything special to get the canopy so even & flat, or just pinching & pruning?

i staked it down with thick wire rods And just kept bringing all the tops down even with the lower ones until week 3. I also move em' around to keep the shape of the plant rectangular. I wasn't sure how much it would stretch. It's actually about twice as big as anticipated
lol. It filled out the whole box. There are 30 tops.
it's g13 x Widow.

take a cutting , grow it inside and it might have huge fat indica looking leaves, take the same cutting outside and grow it and they most always have thinner and more sativa looking leaves, looks like a different plant, my theory is the sun just fucking blazes and inside the plant adapts to try and get as much light as possible, ugg im stoned lol my 2 cents high society
than it would start making a lot of new leaves on the tops, like a haze in reveg because people keep it at 12/12

you can read up on how the sun works, its all researched since the 1920's

Arf

it's just because the sun is unrivaled in power. your plants shouldn't be flowering under 18 hours light. everything i put outside has thinner leaves like a sativa compared to indoors.

Autoflowering seeds will flower under 18hours light no problem. The Ruderalis genes in them do that.

It's quite easy to duplicate the sun's intensity indoors with LEDs, you have to get them close though, a CXB3590 will do 100,000lux at 6" or so, but it wont be the same spectrum. Also the sun is only peak intensity whilst it's directly overhead, so it's changing all the time, to simulate that indoors is tricky, you would need to have an arc of LEDs, and a program running the drivers, then you need to simulate clouds. People are doing this as experiments, but I wouldn't bother.

it's just because the sun is unrivaled in power. your plants shouldn't be flowering under 18 hours light. everything i put outside has thinner leaves like a sativa compared to indoors.

Yea, i think i was just paranoid. I saw that too with a clone of ak47 i had. But thanks for the help guys.

Tbonegrower

I thought I would share the method I have had the best luck with to remove the globe from the LED. Keep in mind that the globe I am removing is plastic and not glass. I hate the idea of jamming a screw driver through my hand, so I have forgone that route. I take a big pair of groove joint pliers, and crush the globe. Then I rotate the bulb 90 degrees and crush the globe again. This pretty much breaks all of the glue loose and allows you to pop the base off with relatively little effort. I am doing this on the Phillips 8.5w bulbs with no reflector. I did 4 bulbs in like 5 minutes this way.

4415251_src_1.jpg

Arf

Some people just drill a 1/4" hole in the diffuser, stick a screwdriver in the hole, and lever it off.

I don't have any problem just levering from the base, I start off squeezing the diffuser away from the edge towards the center to weaken the glue a bit. Then I use a small jeweler's flat blade screwdriver to make a gap to insert a larger screwdrives for more leverage. The glue is like a silicone sealant which is elastic, you have to stretch it past it's elastic point to get it to tear apart, works easier on the larger LED globes, much harder on the smaller ones with thicker diffuser. If you chip the base plastic, it doesn't matter, it's only cosmetic over the aluminum base underneath it.

This video shows you whats underneath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEttzoUwm_c

The Revolution

Veteran

This plant acclimates very quickly. Its incredible to me to see the cut sent coast to coast, grown in diff conditions, and look nothing alike. Its an amazing plants. In just 5-7 years outdoor it can CERTAINLY acclimate at an incredible rate.

The Revolution

Veteran
Hey guys im growing some seedlings right now in led and wanted to let they grow some hour in the sun, so they grow a little bit faster. Cant keep it all the way in the sun cuz its 12/12 here, so i let 12h in the sun and 6 in the leds. Recently i have noticed that they are growing veery tall and the first leaves seem veery thin, it can be from the genes or maybe some crazy paranoia, but im concerned that the different of the power light is causing the plant to start flower earlier. It may be a stupid question, but i need something to be more sure. Does someone know something about it?

My plants get some weird growth also as they acclimate under the LED. I get certain branches that just wanna outstretch,, and certain leaves just wanna blow out.. It seems like theyre getting a very direct amount of energy in certain spots.. I noticed it after only a cpla weeks growing under this type of LED> I think introducing a bit of real sunlight cannot be a bad thing, naturally.

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
Some people just drill a 1/4" hole in the diffuser, stick a screwdriver in the hole, and lever it off.

I don't have any problem just levering from the base, I start off squeezing the diffuser away from the edge towards the center to weaken the glue a bit. Then I use a small jeweler's flat blade screwdriver to make a gap to insert a larger screwdrives for more leverage. The glue is like a silicone sealant which is elastic, you have to stretch it past it's elastic point to get it to tear apart, works easier on the larger LED globes, much harder on the smaller ones with thicker diffuser. If you chip the base plastic, it doesn't matter, it's only cosmetic over the aluminum base underneath it.

This video shows you whats underneath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEttzoUwm_c
maybe for that particular brand, but none of the bulbs i have are anything like that. there's a circuit board underneath the globe with led's soldered on. i wouldn't press the screwdriver downward, you will most likely gouge the PCB and possibly accidentally pry off some LED which may or may not break a circuit and make the whole thing useless/non functioning.

if you use a screwdriver i suggest tilting it high and using a twisting side to side motion to defeat the glue, and not an up and down motion pressing down on the PCB to try and pry off the globe. :tiphat:

Gnz

maybe for that particular brand, but none of the bulbs i have are anything like that. there's a circuit board underneath the globe with led's soldered on. i wouldn't press the screwdriver downward, you will most likely gouge the PCB and possibly accidentally pry off some LED which may or may not break a circuit and make the whole thing useless/non functioning.

if you use a screwdriver i suggest tilting it high and using a twisting side to side motion to defeat the glue, and not an up and down motion pressing down on the PCB to try and pry off the globe. :tiphat:

I find that if I drill a hole through both sides of the globe, put a long screwdriver through both holes and twist the screwdriver to weaken the glue, it will pop off with a sharp pull up on the screwdriver. E.g, use the hole in the opposite side of the globe as your leverage point.

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
I find that if I drill a hole through both sides of the globe, put a long screwdriver through both holes and twist the screwdriver to weaken the glue, it will pop off with a sharp pull up on the screwdriver. E.g, use the hole in the opposite side of the globe as your leverage point.

rofl why didn't i think of that. hey everyone...do this ^^^^

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's the LED cab after seven weeks of flowering.

C99 x Shire (SSSDH)

Day 49 Flower

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

R

ratsidecar

Very nice blynx, how much longer do you have to go?

I built myself a stealthy growbox today from an ikea wardrobe. It uses a 5inch fan on a speed controller and a mountain air filter. This exhausts into an area underneath the box and then out the back of it.

All joins are silicone sealed, I had a box go mouldy underneath before from moisture getting into the joins.

Intake is a pair of 5inch holes on the bottom of the flower area pulling air in from behind the box and then up. There is another pair of 5inch holes between the 2 sides of the box allowing this air to flow into the filter chamber.

Top left chamber is gonna be my veg area, using 2 cheap chinese "216w" ufo style lights, I think their actual power draw is around 50-60w each. I need to add 2 holes so I can duct in air from the flower chamber to avoid light leaking between them both.

The flower area is 4.2 square feet and 219w total. It has 21 8.5w bulbs and 3 13.5w philips bulbs. Total of 21500 lumens according to the bulb packaging. This works out at 52w per square foot. Does that seem okay?

Shelves on the right are for storage or maybe a small seedling/clone area.

The extractor fan is currently on its lowest setting, I dont have a temperature gauge handy but heat level feels okay inside.

The plants are around 13weeks old, they were grown under a table on around 50w and 24hours of light till I got round to making the grow box. From the pics would you say I should switch to flower now or give them another week of light before going to 12/12?

The scrog is an elite seeds la cheperudeta in 13 litres of soil.
The 2 hempy buckets are purple destroyer (free seeds) with a bit of lst and are approx 4 litres each. The small blue pot is an inch of perlite with shredded rockwool underneath as thats all I had at the time with 2 nirvana blue mystic plants in it. I just wanted to grow a small plant of it out to see what it was like.

I know the plants are miles away from the lights at the moment im tired, and will sort them out tomorrow :)

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
The flower area is 4.2 square feet and 219w total. It has 21 8.5w bulbs and 3 13.5w philips bulbs. Total of 21500 lumens according to the bulb packaging. This works out at 52w per square foot. Does that seem okay?
lol 24 bulbs in a 2x2 box... you're a funny guy...:tiphat:

you understand that once you take off the plastic dome you effectively double the lumens right, and with the inverse square law the closer you get the more light the plants can absorb exponentially.

R

ratsidecar

hehe so I guess its a bit overkill then, its maybe a good thing the philips 13.5w bulbs were so expensive or there would have been 24 of those in there :)

I didnt realise the light intensity increased so much with the plastic dome removed. Awesome :D