What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

Muleskinner

Veteran
It's cheaper to use a UV fluro.

I haven't seen any real studies which indicate that Cannabis benefits from UV, I guess you can always use is to break down chloramine in tap water.

thanks man! I agree about UV and cannabis, it seems to get extremely frosty under regular HPS which only has about 1/10th the UVA of sunlight.

I like to use LED bulbs to veg seedling plants for outside (non-cannabis), without any UV they get shocked when they go out into the sunlight. But you can avoid that by gradually exposing them to full sun.

i will be trying to uv testing (with 6500 fluor tubes, they contain a high amount of uv and no problem with spread like the reptilian bulbs or costwise the aquarium tubes) till the start of flower, not IN flower or near the end, since uv does cause cell damage (cancers)

N

Navigator

Thanks again for the links ScrogFrog.
attachment.php

Definitely not pretty, but will work fine in my 1x1 cab.

I remember Dropped Cat stating that he measured heat of a Phillips 8.5W at the socket @ 130*F. Check this article, bulb appears to be an older model, mine is configured differently (hopefully temps outdated as well). This individual is measuring heat at 150*F. Nice spec graph in there too.

http://www.designingwithleds.com/teardown-philips-everyday-8-5w-bulb/

well led chips run hot, like anything else does

pull em out n mount on heatsink if feeling up to a challenge, but radiant heat is def less than a cfl, tips can dry a bit, but theres no more burning

Earlybird

Are the exposed electrical components a electrocution risk, if so, perhaps thermal silicone can be used to make it safer?

Scrappy-doo

Veteran
Great Value 18w daylight bulbs are now only $5 each at walmart.

I paid $10 there for my first one and liked it better than the philips or ecosmart brand bulbs I ran next to it. Better heatsink so they don't get as hot as the others and better coverage/penetration.

Rated at 1700 lumens, 100w equivalent. Gonna pick up a bunch. Just a heads up, best deal I've seen for something with a bit more power than those multipack ecosmarts @ the depot.

Arf

Great Value 18w daylight bulbs are now only $5 each at walmart.

I paid $10 there for my first one and liked it better than the philips or ecosmart brand bulbs I ran next to it. Better heatsink so they don't get as hot as the others and better coverage/penetration.

Rated at 1700 lumens, 100w equivalent. Gonna pick up a bunch. Just a heads up, best deal I've seen for something with a bit more power than those multipack ecosmarts @ the depot.

The Phillips 18W daylight are 2,000 lumens, so a lot more efficient, but a lot more expensive too. I remove the diffusers from the Phillips to get about 25% more light on the target, and use them for veg, they work really well, best veg lights I have ever had, I use to use a 175MH but the daylight LEDs seem to control the stretch better.

Scrappy-doo

Veteran
From what I've seen the lumen #'s can be misleading. I suspect they might be a lot closer in output once the diffuser is taken off. All the brands I've tried seem pretty comparable as far as the chips go, relative to the size used. But even if the philips is a little more efficient, can't beat $5.

Hey guys im growing some seedlings right now in led and wanted to let they grow some hour in the sun, so they grow a little bit faster. Cant keep it all the way in the sun cuz its 12/12 here, so i let 12h in the sun and 6 in the leds. Recently i have noticed that they are growing veery tall and the first leaves seem veery thin, it can be from the genes or maybe some crazy paranoia, but im concerned that the different of the power light is causing the plant to start flower earlier. It may be a stupid question, but i need something to be more sure. Does someone know something about it?

From what I've seen the lumen #'s can be misleading. I suspect they might be a lot closer in output once the diffuser is taken off. All the brands I've tried seem pretty comparable as far as the chips go, relative to the size used. But even if the philips is a little more efficient, can't beat $5.
but the drivers matter more in this case, since the chips are very much the same (cheap) and it will dictate the lumen per watt/efficiency/heat output, if they choose to put a heatsink in it, they can "double the lumens" for the same production costs (compared to a double the wattage driver/chip and same heat output)

im just using the cheapest shit china can produce :D

Azure

Veteran
Hey guys im growing some seedlings right now in led and wanted to let they grow some hour in the sun, so they grow a little bit faster. Cant keep it all the way in the sun cuz its 12/12 here, so i let 12h in the sun and 6 in the leds. Recently i have noticed that they are growing veery tall and the first leaves seem veery thin, it can be from the genes or maybe some crazy paranoia, but im concerned that the different of the power light is causing the plant to start flower earlier. It may be a stupid question, but i need something to be more sure. Does someone know something about it?

Putting the plants in the widow to get sun is fine, but don't put them outside because they most likely will bring in pests with them.
Many pests are brought into the indoor garden this way.
Spider mites for instance and you don't want spider mites inside. They will have no natural predators to control their population and then a spider mite infestation will occur ruining your crop.
This is just one of many pests that can be brought from the outside to your indoor garden.

PoweredByLove

Most Loved

it's just because the sun is unrivaled in power. your plants shouldn't be flowering under 18 hours light. everything i put outside has thinner leaves like a sativa compared to indoors.