What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
IP66 LED Fixtures? Been there, done that.

They work, but the fixtures die about 8 months from the date of purchase. Not only that, but the heat output is higher than you'd expect from a 50w LED unit!

If you go back about 15 pages in this thread I tossed them in favor of the screw in bulbs and have been religiously thanking Blynx ever since I did. Cheaper, easy to install and locally sourced at any hardware store. Oh, and brighter, MUCH brighter! :thank you:

Here's some shots of a Tabula Rasa (harlequin x toci) that got the chop today. 8.5 weeks, 11/13, 70w of 2700K A19 LEDs.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The Revolution

Veteran
Nice job Blynx

Nice job Blynx

Very nice, blynx. Thats what Ive been waiting for! She turned out excellent! Impressive haul also from those lights. Im convinced! Props for the professional ass documentation as well! Thank you brother :tiphat:

I fashioned up a grow box from the largest tote I could find at walmart, and a small pc fan.
Ive been rooting cuttings, and vegging up seedlings under 3 of the 16w LEDs. They do a great job. I cannot believe the growth I am getting from the clones after they root. Its like a magic box. I close them up for a week at a time, and everytime I check them theyre double the size. I thought for a second, "Those arent my Plants"... This is the first time Ive grown under LEDs, and I gotta say Im blown away what these little guys can do. I gotta thank ya for starting this thread up and to all those that contributed. I would have never even tried this if it werent for this thread.
Im thinking these will be my new mother boxes, for keeping clones, and I will be making some seed indoors aswell using these boxes. Also testing out my crosses after a quick veg and straight to flower.
Thank u brother!

@ Terpene ---
That harelquin hybrid looks wicked. Whats the make up of the father in that one, the Toci.. ? Is he purple? or does it get its color from the harlequin? Ive got some Harle hybrids from bad dog genetics I believe is the breeder, I may have to give these a try outdoors. Thats a beautiful plant, man! Props!

Gnz

I'm going to set up my 2nd flower cab to run 5x14.5w LED screw in bulbs at 2700k. Will do a back to back comparison against the cmh cab for the next run in July.

It'll be an almost watt for watt comparison, 72.5w LED vs 70w CMH. 2700k vs 3000k. Both 1.33 sq ft.

Will be running a single Nirvana NL scrog in each, from clone in 8L (~2 gal) ewc/perlite/coco 25/25/50, 1 month veg, canna coco a+b, pk 13-14 if needed and molasses in flower.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The next round in the LED cab will be a C99 x Shire (SSSDH).

Here she is before transplanting

C99 x Shire (SSSDH)

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

Here she is after transplanting.

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here she is in her new home.

C99 x Shire (SSSDH)

Day 00 Veg

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

Yep I'm still using daylight CFLs to veg this round lol.

The Revolution

Veteran
Should be another interesting one blynx.

@ Gnz that sounds like an interesting test. Will you b documenting here on this thread?

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
wildgrow- that site lists the dimensions of those lights as 0 x 0 x 0 inches, lol. So I guess I could get a LOT of them in my room!:biggrin: Oh wait, I see it, it's in mm, looks like they're about 11 inches square, eh? Have you tried these?
View Image

I haven't, but I thought they might be good. Read on for Terpene's experience with them.

Thanks Terpene. 8 months sucks.

Gnz

Should be another interesting one blynx.

@ Gnz that sounds like an interesting test. Will you b documenting here on this thread?

I'll start a thread I think, I need somewhere to post my perp grow and this isn't the place!

The back to back grow means leaving a flower cab doing nothing for 4 more weeks till the other cab is finished, I usually have them running single plants 5 weeks apart.
Will start a thread when I convert this cab to LED.

I might build a new flower cab as well, I have 140w of cmh doing nothing and I'm getting the itch for some kind of wall unit 4 box arrangement.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's the LED cab after a week of veg.

C99 x Shire (SSSDH)

Day 07 Veg

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's the LED cab after two weeks of veg.

C99 x Shire (SSSDH)

Day 14 Veg

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

She hasn't filled in as much as I'd like, but oh well. Time to start flowering her.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Let's get this girl flowering.

C99 x Shire (SSSDH)

Day 00 Flower

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
You really need to try vegging under the LEDs.. ;)

Another Tabula Rasa that was in the same sub irrigated bucket as the last one is done a week later:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This one is a bit smaller / lighter on the output than the last, but has a really intense berry smell that matches its purple color.

Muleskinner

Veteran
Hey, I found a thread where people care about these bulbs! I found some awesome new Philips LED bulbs, really excited about them:

Philips 435438 17w:
http://www.bulbs.com/product/17PAR38-F35-4000-DIM-AF-SO

these are outstanding, very light weight, 4000K, 1300 lumens, perfect beam angle for growing - lights a 14" circle at 18" away from the canopy. The spectrum seems ideal for horticulture, the plants noticeably responded to these when I switched from some 5000K bulbs - they have more red. It looks very similar to the light from 315w CMH bulbs. These also come in 3000K and 2700K.

And I found this absolutely monster bulb, perfect for flowering - most powerful LED bulb I've ever seen, just came out last December, 3000K, 32 watts giving 2800 lumens - extreme brightness! It is very heavy though:

Philips 460527 - 32 watt
http://www.bulbs.com/product/32PAR38...30-F25-ND-120V

I used my last 250w HPS bulb and I'm switching to the 17-watters for veg - 4 to 6 of them will easily veg the area I need for less than 100 watts. These completely blow away any CFL I've used! The 30w CFLs were bright, but these spotlight-style bulbs focus every last bit of the light directly onto the canopy without using a reflector or bouncing off walls. Both these lights use some kind of "single-source" LED that I've not seen before. Here are some pics of a single 17-watter lighting my begonia seedlings from 19 inches away (sorry, no more cannabis until my state legalizes in November):

Attachments

• IMG_0742.JPG
    IMG_0742.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0745.JPG
    IMG_0745.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0744.JPG
    IMG_0744.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0743.JPG
    IMG_0743.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Muleskinner

Veteran
also this study is most interesting - shows some hard data on the relative par efficiency of this type of bulb vs. single-spectrum grow bulbs. The PAR efficiency of these is rated lower, but the luminous efficiency higher. I think if you use these in combination with a small horticultural light like Kessil you will fill in the gaps in the spectrum and get a very high combined efficiency. Will report back after I've done some more testing.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...g_Diodes_vs_High_Intensity_Discharge_Fixtures

Muleskinner

Veteran
Last edited:

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
if i'm spending $270 dollar i'm getting an led that can flower more than 1 plant. mars hydro or one of those names i hear in the background of peoples conversations.

Latest posts

Latest posts