What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

buttnugget2113

Fantastic thread on all things led, I've really enjoyed it, Thank you for taking the time to post your results on the lux and the growing side of commercial led lights, I'd like to ask you, what would you think of this light for growing in the veg state, would a few of them together be any good? http://www.beleuchtung-mit-led.de/philips-master-ledtube-value-150cm-kaltweiss-8718696461631.html?refID=6

Haven't seen LED tubes in the States yet. That's pretty tight. Let us know how it works out.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here are the results from the last round in the LED cab.

Gorilla Glue #4 x (Triangle Kush x Sour Diesel IBL)

Day 70 Flower

Shot of all the buds

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php
[/FONT]

Here's the dry weight.

picture.php
[/FONT]

Here are some closeups

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

I'm happy with 81 grams from 80w of light. It will be interesting to see what other strains yield under this setup.

Next round will be C99 x Shire (SSSDH) mostly because I have a plant that I can throw into the cab without waiting. I'll try to get something different ready for the round after that.

Progress pics coming soon.

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
that's impressive. how big is your box again?

your thread convinced me to switch over. i'm 1 week into flower on my current grow. i got a 70w hps in there and 8xLED's @~58 watts so like 140 watts total. 30x30inch box 6.25 sqft according to the calculator. plants are staying real short and getting branchy under the lights faster than under cfl in the past. maybe even faster than my mH.
picture.php

i kept the domes on a couple of the bulbs so they could spread more light to the sides for the plants that were closest to the edges. i bought 10 more sockets the other day from china, much smaller than these ones so i can put more on there. gonna have like 18 lights when i finish my final design. might take the HPS out of the mix. 18 bulbs x 9w (800lumens) each and who knows how many lumens once i take the lenses off. 14,400 rated lumens, prolly like 6x that at 3-6 inches. it's gonna be like having a 171 watt usage 1000w bulb. once the lenses come off.

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
Looking comically excellent as always Blynx.

What does the gpw work out to in this run and how does that compare to other LED boxes you've run? I know you're maintaining at least 1g+/w... :biggrin:

Art Vandelay

Awesome! Have been away for too many months and was thinking of our last conversation on led vs cfl. As usual you have been very busy Blynx 14 pages and just in time for me to get some rolling. I appreciate your hard work and dedication to the sea of green. I'm going to do some studying up on these here 14 pages and see what happens. Thanks again Blynx and to all that have contributed to this and other household led grows pure excitement!! Cheers

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
The last of my CFLs were replaced today.

My seedling veg area (2x2x2) was four 23w CFLs but I was tired of the heat the CFLs were making. So I replaced them with four 8w LED bulbs that I saw at Home Depot for $4 bucks each. According to my light meter, brightness is actually a little bit up overall at 1/4 the wattage.

Hey Terpene, I'm quoting an old post of yours because I've been using CFL's and holding out on trying led's. One of my main concerns is the difference in heat put out between CFL's and LED's.

Are you saying temps are cooler with equivalent LED's over CFL's?

Is that the consensus among people who have tried both?

Thanks

Terpene

Veteran
Hey Terpene, I'm quoting an old post of yours because I've been using CFL's and holding out on trying led's. One of my main concerns is the difference in heat put out between CFL's and LED's.

Are you saying temps are cooler with equivalent LED's over CFL's?

Is that the consensus among people who have tried both?

Thanks

23w CFLs run probably 40% hotter than my 16w LEDs, and probably about 50% hotter than my 14w LEDs. The LEDs penetrate FAR better so you have light to the floor of the cabinet as opposed to just around the bulbs.

First off, my old veg cab - (8) 23w CFLs cooled by an 8inch honeywell fan sucking in cool air, pushing positive pressure through a large opening at the top left of the cab. Not light proof, but I didn't care.
picture.php

When I switched from CFL to LED I reduced my cooling from the 8 inch fan to (2) 4 inch PC fans (for ten 14w LEDs) and the armoire runs about 2-3 degrees over ambient. With the CFLs it was always about 5-8 degrees over ambient, and the fan made a heck of a lot of noise.

Heres a shot of the armoire. You can see the two 4 inch holes at the top of the cab for the extractor PC fans. This cabinet is very light proof (I sleep right next to it every night) and because its made out of a nice armoire, it even matches the furniture! ;)

picture.php

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
That is a nice, clean setup. Two questions- Do you use these LED's for veg only? And second, do your lights move up and down?
Thanks!

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here are the progress pics from the last round.

Gorilla Glue #4 x (Triangle Kush x Sour Diesel IBL)

picture.php
[/FONT]
-=-=-=-
picture.php
[/FONT]
-=-=-=-
picture.php
[/FONT]

Next round will be starting soon. I will be running a C99 x Shire (SSSDH).

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
There are still people out there who swear by CFLs.. doesn't make sense.

Okay, well, That's because CFL's DO work, and they work well. For me personally, it's that I don't want to build another light hanging box, it's a lot of work.

But I'm coming around.:biggrin:

Terpene

Veteran
The work you'll put in to switch is worth the effort. In the past, my CFL arrays were on par with 400w HPS bud grows. Which, wasn't terrible - like you said, they do work. On the other hand my veg now runs like Im under 600w of HPS/MH and flower is at least as good as my friends with 600w HPS setups, if not outrunning them per sqft.

buttnugget2113

This is my first run switching from CFL to LED and I have noticed vegetative growth speed has increased significantly. The internode spacing seems to be tighter also. I was able to take one of my two fans out of my Cab and still keep 72 degrees . This is all with 20% Less LED wattage than my last CFL run watt. rate.
:woohoo:

Thx Blynx and Terp for the heads up.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Okay, well, That's because CFL's DO work, and they work well. For me personally, it's that I don't want to build another light hanging box, it's a lot of work.

But I'm coming around.:biggrin:

Why would you have to build a new box?

If your CFLs are hanging down, you can just replace them.

If your CFLs are horizontal like mine were in my CFL scrog cab, you can simply make a bar that holds the lights and mount that to the ceiling (or close to the ceiling) of the cab.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
wildgrow- that site lists the dimensions of those lights as 0 x 0 x 0 inches, lol. So I guess I could get a LOT of them in my room!:biggrin: Oh wait, I see it, it's in mm, looks like they're about 11 inches square, eh? Have you tried these?
61MiQ4NAkVL._SL1200_.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts