What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

psyphish

Veteran
I have a 51w Citiled COB (Budmaster) in my 30x30x60cm tent and it's nowhere near enough light for that space (1 square foot). I could easily fit another one in there. I also tried 4 x 13.5w 4000K LED Spots (1521 lumen each) and it wasn't enough light either.

Sarcclash

The Revolution

"Ill be doing a bit of both. I Grabbed the GE LED A21 (100w Equiv.) bulbs, they were about $16/each, the highest wattage I could find. Got some GE (17w) and GE (16w) a mix of daylight and soft white, some are 2700Kelvin some are 5000K. Some 1600Lumens Some 1700, some 1750 Lumens. I just realized these bulbs are all dimmable. I took the time to specifically get nondimmable bulbs, of the highest wattage and lumen output, and I still somehow grabbed dimmables. I must have had a buzz..Tried to grab a variety of the highest wattage bulbs to see what did best..
... Brainstorming some ideas of how to hang them..Id like to build a recessed fixture.. Dont have a lot of time to spend on it though. Has anyone tried the bulb to socket adapters into the power strip. Hang the strip above kinda deal? I may go for it..Im more interested in using these things for side/supplemental lighting. These bulbs cost under $2/year to run, and they claim to last 22.8 unreal. "

These two bulbs DAY and SOFT
are MUCH cheaper, ($5.80 for the 2700k ea.!), locally (approx 40 n, 80 w) than the web price.

"Was prying at the bulb a bit.. Above posts made it sound like it was plastic...well these ones are glass.. Found that out after I stuck my thumb through the side of the bulb.. Hopefully thats not the only reason Im paying an extra $10/bulb..
So exercise caution folks..Some are glass. "

I have found that heating them up for 5+ minutes in the socket, then, using a glove or a towel to hold the hot base, I can twist the cover loose so it spins freely on the base. A putty knife at the joint will pop the cover right off. These particular bulbs have no reflector to remove.
Alternately, using an oscillating cutter, and gloves are the safest way I've found to cut off other types, (Sylvania).

If I haven't said it before, great thread blynx!

Sarcclash

Plug in sockets

Plug in sockets

"Has anyone tried the bulb to socket adapters into the power strip. Hang the strip above kinda deal? I may go for it..Im more interested in using these things for side/supplemental lighting. "

Made a cloning bench using dollah store 5 watt led grow bulbs, plug in socket adapters and power strips.
Even tho the plug ins are tight, it's possible they could work free in a cab with vibration from fans.
1zpt8pg.jpg
2njvk2e.jpg
6qceuv.jpg

Goats

"Has anyone tried the bulb to socket adapters into the power strip. Hang the strip above kinda deal? I may go for it..Im more interested in using these things for side/supplemental lighting. "

Made a cloning bench using dollah store 5 watt led grow bulbs, plug in socket adapters and power strips.
Even tho the plug ins are tight, it's possible they could work free in a cab with vibration from fans.
View ImageView ImageView Image

cool. this was my plan as well if i chose to try out these little hardware store leds. nice to see it works just fine.

RaZoR!

My home store LED flowering area is 2.5 x 3.5 - lit by 9) 16w leds. Its MUCH brighter than my 240w Blackstar panel. 25w per sqft is as bright (or brighter) than you'll need.

So 150w in a 6 sq ft area would be great?

Now that we roughly know that LEDs are roughly 3x the efficiency of CFLs, but how would they compare to an HID setup? Has someone done a side by side comparison of 250 of LED vs 250 of HID? I am loving the results, but I am curious to see.

Last edited:

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
Mango Carrot Zamaldelica x ([Purple Thai Skunk x White Widow] x Tom Hill Haze) at 11 weeks of 11/13 is developing a really nice purple candy - mango carrot colada smell. To answer your question, its been under 150w of screw in LED (in a 2x3) for its entire life.

picture.php

picture.php

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's the LED cab after ten weeks of flowering.

Gorilla Glue #4 x (Triangle Kush x Sour Diesel IBL)

Day 70 Flower

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

Time for her to come down.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's a couple closeups of the canopy.

Gorilla Glue #4 x (Triangle Kush x Sour Diesel IBL)

Day 70 Flower

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php

Here's a pic of the canopy out of the cab.
[/FONT]
picture.php
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
i just bought 4 of these LED bulbs from ikea. the 400lumen 5w bulbs. they're 2packs for 3.50 right now. i think it's a sale. i thought about getting the 600 lumen ones but i think these were a better value cuz i could get 4x400lm for the price of the 2x600lm bulbs. i'll have to scroll through this thread of the googles to figure out how to open these things. i got my dremel here. bbl with pics.

Would you do, if possible, a Hps vs Led(specific for grow) PAR comparasion? Or if is already one, show me the link? Cant find it anywhere.:biggrin:

The Revolution

Veteran
Very nice blynx. Been anxious to see how that Gg4 x triangle/sour d came out! Such an interesting hybrid, where did you give these? Or is this your creation? Either way, very impressive! Don't forget to get its some trimmed and dry shots. And a final weight. She looks great!

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Would you do, if possible, a Hps vs Led(specific for grow) PAR comparasion? Or if is already one, show me the link? Cant find it anywhere.:biggrin:

Sorry I don't have a PAR meter, so no PAR readings here.

Very nice blynx. Been anxious to see how that Gg4 x triangle/sour d came out! Such an interesting hybrid, where did you give these? Or is this your creation? Either way, very impressive! Don't forget to get its some trimmed and dry shots. And a final weight. She looks great!

I made the cross. I hit the Triangle Kush with some Sour Diesel IBL pollen that's been in my freezer for 8 years. I grew out a couple of those seeds (TK x SD IBL). I kept one fem that I run occasionally and also got a male from which I collected some pollen. I used that pollen (TK x SD IBL) to hit up the GG#4.

From those seeds (GG#4 x (TK x SD IBL), I started two seeds and got two fems. Plant 1 is TK leaning in growth and bud smell/taste. Plant 2 which is the one in this run, is more GG#4 like in structure. Plant 2 has some of the GG#4 funk undertones and a nice diesel overtone taste/smell.

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
been rummaging around the house and found a couple more led bulbs. one is an older model Ikea 400lumen bulb at 6.3w slightly larger than the bulbs i bought yesterday and they have 5 led's in em instead of 3 like the new 5w models. but i think i may have found an even better one, i don't have the lux meter like you but this one is utilitech brand 750lumen 9w bulbs. these have 15 leds in em and they're 3000k not 2700 like the ikea bulbs. they're at lowes on sale till 5/10/16 for 3.50 for the 2 pack. same price as the IKEA bulbs. but 5x more leds!!!! imma go buy 2 packs right now.

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
i downloaded an app for my phone. lux meter. seems fairly accurate.

picture.php

this is my new setup with 4x 9w LED and 1x 70wHPS. may or may not add 2-4 more lights in between like an X/+ on top of each other.

buttnugget2113

Seeking insight on my little micro setup. Here's what I'm running

- 12 in. Fluor. Tube 10w = 60w equivalent
- 13.5 w Cree Soft White LED = 75w equiv.
- 10 w GE LED daylight Bright Stick = 60w Equiv. (Wear your Shades bright.)

So I'm close to 195w in a 2ft by 3ft area. Though I'm not in a cab nor do I have any reflection for my lights. All bulbs are still close to my canopy a couple inches tops. My question is think I can still pull a soild O' ? At least until my next run when I can pull the covers off my LED's and build a little cab.

DragonFlyJones

Seeking insight on my little micro setup. Here's what I'm running

- 12 in. Fluor. Tube 10w = 60w equivalent
- 13.5 w Cree Soft White LED = 75w equiv.
- 10 w GE LED daylight Bright Stick = 60w Equiv. (Wear your Shades bright.)

So I'm close to 195w in a 2ft by 3ft area. Though I'm not in a cab nor do I have any reflection for my lights. All bulbs are still close to my canopy a couple inches tops. My question is think I can still pull a soild O' ? At least until my next run when I can pull the covers off my LED's and build a little cab.
Hi Buttnugget

Your not close to 195 w, you got 35,5 w and i dont think you will get an Oz from that

/DFJ

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
13 weeks to the day of 11/13 and my mango carrot Zamaldelica x (Tom Hill Haze x [Purple Thai Skunk x White Widow]) cross is finished. 70w of home store screw in 16w LEDs made for one exceptionally pretty plant. This plant has a good, but weird purple candy / mango carrot colada smell and yielded more than any other plant I've ever run under the LEDs or CFL arrays of the past.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Blynx, I know I always say this, but thank you for figuring out the A19 style leds work so well!

Latest posts

Latest posts