What's new

moonshine mix

ReeferDan

jiggywhompus said:
Reeferdan-Those plants are rootbound man. Those containers are definitely too small for the amount of plant matter that plant has. This has resulted in deficiencies, not necessarily from lack of food but from roots being crammed on top of roots. Nothing you can do now its too late to transplant. Just ride it out...

I highly doubt they are rootbound, when i cut down the first plant earlier this week i pulled out the soil and there were barely any roots... I know what rootbound looks like, and this was far from it, there were barely any roots in the bottom/sides of the container. Im used to looking at like 4ft+ outdoor organic plants, so i was like, hmmm let me check out the rootball... and i was like WTF where are all the roots? the soil was held together by the roots, but not white swirling overcrowdness. I'll get a pick when i pull the next plants.

Also, the plants are only about 15" or less, hardly too big for a 1gal pot.

ReeferDan

jiggywhompus said:
Yo Reeferdan-I just noticed you were bubbling earthjuice for 5 days!!! Does that shit smell ok to use bro? I never need to bubble my teas nearly that long when using earthjuice. Anaerobic bacteria might be playing a factor in your plants health. If that tea small like ammonia then that tea will **** up your plants.

NO i didnt bubble it for 5 days. I had plants in the box at staggered waterings because they were at different stages. I watered 4 plants on thursday and 4 plants on saturday. When i was done watering saturday, i would fill up a bucket of water, and bubble it to thursday, then ph balance it (or what i thought was balancing it! damn ph meter :badday: :bashhead: ) and water the plants. Refill the bucket, let it bubble until saturday and repeat. If i ever put EJ in, i would do it the day before, or maybe two nights before at most. I think once i made a tea on thursday night and watered the plants with it saturday. I'd say though all in all the plants got plain ph'd water 75% if the time, and teas/nutes 25% of the time once i was trying to chase/fix deficiencies.

I remember when i read about watering that less is more, so i would water them 4 cups (~1quart or 1 liter) every week, because everyone said when you over water it leads to all kinds of funky def's and whatnot. Maybe i watered too infrequently? My plants did get wilted a couple times midflower, but that was always at the 7 day mark...maybe the morning of and i wouldnt water them until that night. They would always look perky and happy like within 30-60min. Is this too little/too infrequent for a 1gal container of soil? When i transplanted them from their veg containers... 4" square pots to their flower containers, they looked fine, white roots swirled around the sides and bottoms, but when they were done flowering, i could barely see any roots in the mix... I was honestly suprised and it didnt look like it should have.

Any advice id appreciated jiggy, so please do share. Im really trying to figure out how i f'd up this run so any questions that i can answer for ya please ask so we can figure this out!

Im going to harvest 3more plants sometime this week, i'll be sure to get some pictures of the soil and rootmass or lack of and i'll cut the soil in 1/4's to show where the roots are/arent.

ReeferDan

one more thing to add... my water's starting ph is around 8.2-8.5, is that all bad? Ive heard high ph might mean there are a lot of ppm's in the tap water? I dont have a ppm meter, but i might have to invest in an ec/ph/ppm meter soon so i really know whats going on with my plants.

Just another thing i thought i might have to add to the mystery!

ReeferDan

Yep, probably underwatering and drying up. Imma start buying distilled water for the next run to see what happens, i really think i can do a lot better than i am!!!

ReeferDan

Here's the roots, much healthier than the last plant (however i did empty it in the backyard at night, so i couldnt really see what the roots looked like...)
But i dont think its rootbound, by my definition. Looks perfect to me.

Look at the difference in size of the buds i just harvested, next to the plant that i gave bushmaster to and is about 2weeks behind the one i just finished.

T

TheOneWill

I wanna use this mix but can't get like more then half the stuff in the list.

ElDust

TheOneWill said:
I wanna use this mix but can't get like more then half the stuff in the list.
If it isn't available to you in any local stores and if you REALLY want to try it, why don't you just order it from the internet? :dueling:

Vash

Ol' Skool
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Back to the watering...........

Did you say 1 Quart to 1 Gallon every 7 days?

ReeferDan

Vash said:
Back to the watering...........

Did you say 1 Quart to 1 Gallon every 7 days?

correct

too little? Too much?

I was thinking of watering them a little more frequently. The plants werent wilted or anything so i thought i was good...

Rat_Genius

Im a first timer to the thread but Ive been reading it for the past year. I was curious what the MSM recipe is looking like these days. Does anyone have a current mix recipe? Ive got myself two strnz onlizine and have got alot of learning to do with this mix and the different stages (seed mix, veg mix-flower mix). The concept of the mix seems simple but simple scares me sometimes. I understand that you wont need to add much more than what the mix provides but ive red some people say they needed to add teas towards the end. Love the thread and the great feedback you all provide.

Rat_Genius

So I was curious if i could use molasses instead of fruit and flower or is that not the same thing. Could i use both with the MSM for flowering?

BBWluva

I have had better results with this mix than the original msm.i use 2 parts ocean forest to 1 part light warrior,plus 30% big and chunky perlite.then i mix 1/2 of a tablespoon of fruit and flower and 1/2 of a tablespoon of starter mix per gallon of soil..then i give them a very light top dress of fruit and flower after 30 days of flowering,amount depends on the size of the pot...i water with the culligan water from the machine at walmart,the ph is around 6.5 -6.7 and the plants seem to like it.. Don't get me wrong the msm is a very good mix this was just easier and better results for me.plus i can mix it in small portions.....

Rat_Genius

Ya im trying to keep it as simple as possible since i dont plan to have more than 4 plants going at once. I dont need the excess........but i can always use it for the next worg

shaolin36er

Rat_Genius said:
someone should make a video on how to make the Moonshine Soil Mix and Post it on Youtube .........would be a useful video and should clear up some of the questions behind it.

mysta?
Moonshineman???

No video needed for this as it could'nt be easier. I just dump all three bags into a wallymart extra large tub and add 1 cup of the FF seed starter and 1 cupFruit and flower. Hope that can help. SH36

HerbGlaze

Eugene Oregon
Veteran
Hyponex Organic

Hyponex Organic

Any one have any experience with this Potting soil?
Anyways I ordered some, and im thinking for my mix is..
3 Parts Hyponex
1 Part Perlite
1/2 Worm Castins
1/2 Bat guano?
So thats my idea but now I need to know what nutrients I should begin using when I go into flower any recommendations, Im a old grower but havent grown in some time =D - Thanks.

Rat_Genius

does anyone know of any Advanced Nutrients that are "must adds". I am going to be using the Moonshine soil mix so i wont need anything until flowering,right???.......whats your opinions? I know it reads all good on their website but how can i tell what is the bomb sit' diggity stuff.........feelin' me? :confused:

Rat_Genius

I was looking at Fox Farm ingredients for all the ones used in the mix and i found out that it seems to be rich in chicken and bat guano :Bolt: !!!

Fox Farm Planting Mix: red bag

A mix of earthworm castings, chicken and bat guano, some aged mushroom compost, cocoa bean hulls. This planting mix provides moisture retention and offers good drainage qualities. This mix can be added to other soils or used alone in containers, indoors or out.

FFOF:

This unique potting soil combines the best fertilizers from the ocean and those found on land. Made from forest humus, sphagnum peat for aeration, bat guano, fish, crab, shrimp, Norwegian kelp meals and worm castings. This mix can be added to other soils or used alone in containers, indoors or out.

It seems a bit rich already with all that guano. It may not seem like a big deal but i have a feeling seedlings or younglin's might get burnt. Would you suggest maybe using the full blown mix once the plant gets to vegging? I hope to use the mix but i get worried when people say things like this mix is a bit on the hot side. I assume to just use light warrior or some other airy soil medium for seedlings? Any suggestions on what works best for seedlings?

http://www.foxfarmfertilizer.com/products_soils1.html :bow:

Last edited:
J

JollyGreen

It seems a bit rich already with all that guano. It may not seem like a big deal but i have a feeling seedlings or younglin's might get burnt. Would you suggest maybe using the full blown mix once the plant gets to vegging? I hope to use the mix but i get worried when people say things like this mix is a bit on the hot side. I assume to just use light warrior or some other airy soil medium for seedlings? Any suggestions on what works best for seedlings?

Hey Rat Genius, I root seedlings in 16 oz cups in just light warrior with a little perlite at the bottom for good drainage, for about 2-3 weeks. Just make sure to give them a little cal mag and nitrogen if they need it. Then I transplant in to MSM for veg, no dry nutes at the time and just ph water. Hope that helps some.

ReeferDan

Im going to use this mix again, but this time without the dry ferts. Im just going to feed with a little EJ bubbled throughout the grow. This will be good by itself through veg again though, but when i flip to 12/12 im gonna hit the plants with a little grow, and then some nice bloom ferts.
I grow in 1gal pots with only 2 transplants (red cups to 4" ppots, to the 1gal) so the nutes usually get used up pretty quick.