What's new
  • As of today ICMag has his own Discord server. In this Discord server you can chat, talk with eachother, listen to music, share stories and pictures...and much more. Join now and let's grow together! Join ICMag Discord here! More details in this thread here: here.
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Maruf kandahar section #2 Rancid Red 13 gallons of soil back yard boogie

Dosha420

20241008_092245.jpg

therevverend

Veteran
Looks great. What latitude are you at? I'm at 47 degrees N and it didn't really have time to finish. Started flowering too late and didn't like the high humidity. Not surprising because I'm in the PNW. The land of mushrooms, and not far from water. The best looking plant turned to gray mold. Even so I had enough finished flower to be tantalized.

The smell was fabulous. Extremely refined with an effervescent grape wine smell, along with pistachio and spicy elements. Some of the Kandahar black had a rancid smell but not the red. I can't imagine how great the hashish would be. Yours looks well on it's way to finishing, I'd guess mid November. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Dosha420

Looks great. What latitude are you at? I'm at 47 degrees N and it didn't really have time to finish. Started flowering too late and didn't like the high humidity. Not surprising because I'm in the PNW. The land of mushrooms, and not far from water. The best looking plant turned to gray mold. Even so I had enough finished flower to be tantalized.

The smell was fabulous. Extremely refined with an effervescent grape wine smell, along with pistachio and spicy elements. Some of the Kandahar black had a rancid smell but not the red. I can't imagine how great the hashish would be. Yours looks well on it's way to finishing, I'd guess mid November. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Dosha420

My latitude is 33.49N I have 3 different geno's that are extremely RKS, my panjshir had that Prestacio finish but all my Maruf kandahar section #2 has that straight dead skunk. The male's smelled like burning rubber extremely strong sulfur. I'm on the coast and gutation And root pressure is also a problem here Which leads to Gray mold and botrytis. There a few options I have explored and works for me is a home brew of camamille tea soil drench and spray. But to keep it easy procidic 2 works well.ill keep you posted. By the way did yours turn Red?

Attachments

• 20241015_134056.jpg
    20241015_134056.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3

therevverend

Veteran
I wouldn't call it red, it was an interesting shade of purple. You're close enough to the latitude of Kandahar they should have triggered early enough to form full colas and finish. I found the mold resistance was extremely variable, probably because it's not a trait that's necessary most years.

I had an entire plant rot and die in late October. Another one mostly finished by mid November with almost no mold. Although the light intensity wasn't enough to form decent colas. I had one Black that was extremely resistant to mold, almost completely matured by mid November. Just checked my albums, looked like I saved a few pics. The top 2 are Red Maruf, the bottom 2 are the big black.

20211007_135745.jpg
20211007_135812.jpg
20211006_151751.jpg
20211009_153243.jpg

My other blacks had amazing smells, ranging from straight gasoline, to rancid fruity, to nutty spicy. This was more fragrant and spicy. The red in the pic was a near total loss to mold. I can't find any pics of the Red that mostly finished, not easy to find them from 2021. The nutty pistachio, fuel, rancid fruity, and refined grape were the most common smells. It was disappointing, I'm too far north to grow these strains properly, but I learned a lot and I'm glad I tried them. I had much better luck with the Afghan varieties from higher elevations in mountainous regions.

Dosha420

I wouldn't call it red, it was an interesting shade of purple. You're close enough to the latitude of Kandahar they should have triggered early enough to form full colas and finish. I found the mold resistance was extremely variable, probably because it's not a trait that's necessary most years.

I had an entire plant rot and die in late October. Another one mostly finished by mid November with almost no mold. Although the light intensity wasn't enough to form decent colas. I had one Black that was extremely resistant to mold, almost completely matured by mid November. Just checked my albums, looked like I saved a few pics. The top 2 are Red Maruf, the bottom 2 are the big black.

View attachment 19085328 View attachment 19085327 View attachment 19085325 View attachment 19085318

My other blacks had amazing smells, ranging from straight gasoline, to rancid fruity, to nutty spicy. This was more fragrant and spicy. The red in the pic was a near total loss to mold. I can't find any pics of the Red that mostly finished, not easy to find them from 2021. The nutty pistachio, fuel, rancid fruity, and refined grape were the most common smells. It was disappointing, I'm too far north to grow these strains properly, but I learned a lot and I'm glad I tried them. I had much better luck with the Afghan varieties from higher elevations in mountainous regions.
I'm near the coast in SOCAL so every morning my plants are soaked do to root pressure that causes Guttation wich in turn causes botrytis and powder mildew it can be frustrating to say the least I don't Deal much with it though. 2 of my reds just went into flower a couple weeks ago and one is about 7 day into flower. Thr two in flower are extremely Skunk spray or skunk spray gland With hints of death, No mistaking it when it's blowing up an entire block. The 2 in flower are turning red or maybe black I'm not sure I'll post the pics. I use PGPR-PGPB soil ipm including Japanese giant not weed tea mixed with camomile tea As trench and folder spray seems to do the trick for me doesn't matter which strain I work with. I also use SAR and SIR Plant defense response. That also might have something to do with my success against botrytis and power mildew.

Attachments

• 20241018_080015.jpg
    20241018_080015.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • 20241018_080023.jpg
    20241018_080023.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
  • 20241018_080006.jpg
    20241018_080006.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 20241018_080603.jpg
    20241018_080603.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • 20241018_080158.jpg
    20241018_080158.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3
  • 20241018_080046.jpg
    20241018_080046.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 20241017_152532.jpg
    20241017_152532.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 20241018_080535.jpg
    20241018_080535.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3

therevverend

Veteran
Yours look fantastic. You can already see the red colors in the leaves and petioles, the reddish lavender color in the flowers. They trigger to flower late, more like a tropical variety than most other Afghans. The strains adapted to the dry fertile plains are different from most of the Hindu Kush stuff in the West. The Balochistani strains across the border in Pakistan are similar. I'm very impressed by the Baloch stuff I've tried.

I don't remember any PM problems, I think all my Afghans showed resistance. I was close to the ocean, they really don't like salty sea air. As long as the humidity drops below 60% during the day you should be okay. When it stays above 60% for more than 24 hours is when the trouble begins.

You'll want to look for the ones that produce full colas. Because they're hashplants the flowers don't have to be dense or heavy, the loose leafy ones may even be easier to sieve. A couple of them never wanted to finish flowering, never formed full mature flowers before the frost and mold destroyed them. This problem was worse with the reds than the blacks.

Latest posts

Latest posts