What's new

m-39 is it still around?

that m-39 mother had to come from seeds and since skunk #1 and NL #5 are still available today I don't think it's that far fetched to get something exactly like the first run of m-39s.

even if the genes differ I am sure you can find a suitable mother with a couple of seeds..

I'm pretty sure sssc didn't use the so famed RKS for their cross, they reworked skunk #1 heavily so I believe the dutch 80's skunk is still well in seed form.

G

Shiva Skunk was an instant hit when released as NL#5xSK#1 in 1987. That simple string of letters and numbers instantly grabbed the attention of any grower who recognised the two famous parents. A new strain combining distinct and stable genotypes is always a noteworthy event, and that working-title indicated a great deal more. NL#5xSK#1 offered growers a taste of ‘cannabis cubed’ - a super-hybrid embodying the two most powerful cannabis strains known at the time. Before being formally named, Shiva Skunk was already building a reputation as the next step in marihuana breeding.
^ From Sensi Seeds.
:fsu: Qc...you should holler at Sensi to tell them bout their strains...

In my dreams no one ever called the S1/B5 "M-39", and Qc does not exist.

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have an M39 jernt hanging from my lips as I type this. :)

It's a heavy yielder, but as far as head goes it's... mmm, mmm mediocre. :) If you're not a regular smoker, it'll get you baked. If you regularly smoke Sour Diesel, OG Kush, Chemdog D, and the like, you'll only smoke M39 because it's a nice break from the heavy hitters.

The taste and smell are definitely 80's though. :) It just smacks of that old-school pot smell/taste.
20M39_ta_smoke.JPG

20M39_cut_up_ta_smoke.JPG

REZDOG

Veteran
RzaWreck said:
In my dreams no one ever called the S1/B5 "M-39"

"M-39" was the catalog number for the SSSC's 1989 offering of Skunk#1/Basic (NL) 5.
The SSSC called it 'Basic 5' because they weren't supposed to have the NL5 Clone at the time,they came by it surreptitiously....
We call it M39 or Skunk~NL, depending on who we're addressing.
CC's SSSC M39 (Skunk#1-Basic5) clone came from yours,truly-this clone's been an indica Standard in one area since it was direct-purchased in the late 1980's,from the SSSC,and many people still dig it to death.
"Beasters" frequently get labeled 'M39' but it's not over-chemmd SK#1/NL in those nasty-ass freezer bags,I assure you.
The Asian gangs growing that filth
("the trips" roflmao!) don't have access to decent genetics,that crap they grow is just over-fed commercial indica of the 'big bud' variety,most of it sourced from crappy Canadian commercial seeds.

Cheers!

Last edited:
G

Yeah...I get it...Thanks bro...Still Addressing QuIndica w/ that remark bout M-39 and my dreams...Maybe you can help him, (or me for that matter)...Understand that M-39 is still available in the form of Shiva Skunk from Sensi...
No worries, but read up a couple posts Big Dog...I understand the madness...

Last edited:

REZDOG

Veteran
Shiva Skunk,a/k/a "M39" is still available from Sensi Seeds. Different Parents are used,not 20+ year-old P1 Stock,but it's the same thing. In fact,I know,aside from Sensi,there's shitloads more than one Skunk-NL hybrid out there for sale-many minor Dutch seedmakers offer it,an lol: it's a favorite seed offered in the 'tourist' packs at A'Damm flower markets.
Skunk/NL is a Classic for good reason.

Ciao!

Last edited:
G

Thanks bro...Now at least if homie disagrees w/ me it will make me feel better that someone doesn't...

QcIndica

it's sure you are right.grow m-39 and shiva skunk side by side and see the diference.it's close but not the same thing.very different plant,shivaskunk r better than the m39 for the quality but m39 have rock hard nuggets and he is the fastest.

i dont want to start a war,only give u my opinion on what i had hear.

peace QC.

Black Ra1n

Cannaculturist ~OGA~
Veteran
I think I'll grow out some Shiva just to see how close it is to my 39 cut. As far as Asian Gangs not having access to decent genetics. We all have access to decent genetics, the difference is we grow for our selves and they grow to fund they're Sunday bible study group :). They grow all kinds of strains, the problem is they pick it way too soon and they don't flush any of the chemical ferts they use. They stick to the skunk and Afghani crosses cause they're easy as hell to clone and the yield is decent. I'm sure if they grew out some of the elites it would still be shit cause they don't care about quality, they're in it simply for profit and nothing more.

B/R

Last edited:

QcIndica

hi blackrain try the shivaskunk,i smoked a lot of shiva,one of my best strain for sure,but the shiva skunk is closer 2 the m39 then the shiva.if u grow shivaskunk ill follow your grow report without a doubt.

peace QC.

QcIndica

Wayzer said:
m-39....

great yield, good high... its m39. were im from its just m

the m39 i've grown look exactly the same as this one and personnaly i dont think it's a high yielder.anyway i dont care so much about this,it's not an awesome strain for me.

peace QC.

Black Ra1n

Cannaculturist ~OGA~
Veteran
I have to agree with Rez, it's a very good yielder. I've been told by a few medical users that this is the perfect strain for them. Outdoors I average a pound+ per plant easlily. Outdoors in pots, the average is a qp. Indoors I've gotten 2 to 3 ounces a plant. The buds are tight and heavy, it weights up nice. There's not much shrink on the buds when properly dried. It could be the cut you have QcIndica, the one I have is top knotch.
The pictures below are all potted ones, I didn't have the room to do a peg down with her last year, though in the past I have. One from 2 years ago was 6 feet across and 6 feet high, looked like a globed cedar.

I'll give the shiva skunk a try in the fall, do a side by side with the 39 I have.

B/R

QcIndica

yes it's probably the cut i had but this cut produce really good hard rock bud but not a big yielder,see the picture of the buds.your m39 plant look awesome +1.
hey blackrain r u from quebec province,do you speak french?.

Peace QC.

Pig-Pen

I used to have the original, given to me from someone who grew out original SSSC seed stock in the 80's. :jump:

But sadly it was "lost" with a number of other great strains, but the M-39 was the only one that was irreplaceable. :badday:

That still hurts. :cuss:

Most of what is called m-39 these days isn't the real deal, but rather inferior (imho) replicas. True M-39 is clone only since the seeds havn't been available for what, 15 years or so?

Last edited:

REZDOG

Veteran
Pig-Pen said:
True M-39 is clone only since the seeds havn't been available for what, 15 years or so?

Correct,last available from the SSSC in '88 or '89.
Thas' why we grow an old M cut....

BRNEYDBVR

Pig-pen...

Aquire yourself some Gonzo#2 from Rez..... It's Sk1/Basic5 (M-39) X Hindu Kush....You might be able to find something you like.....

And there are suppose to be some real stinkers in there too!

:joint:

Pig-Pen

REZDOG said:
Correct,last available from the SSSC in '88 or '89.
Thas' why we grow an old M cut....

lol, has it really been 20 years? :kos:

Yeah, you should probably go ahead and send me one of those for ...safe keeping.:yummy: