What's new

LED FAQ) Building and DIY

Koondense

Veteran
Hehe,
ok here are the basics(although I'm still not sure if it's the final version)...

6X Vero SE 3500K, version C(68V), 80cri
3x MW HLG 185-1400mA
Arctic Alpine64plus

So a very basic setup(I like it simple), two cobs per driver, a bit less than 100W/cob, eff around 160lm/W.
Good for a 4x4 space and some little greens ;)

Cheers

Koondense

Veteran
That probably won't happen because I plan to keep the lights off frame for better vertical regulation. Same way I keep them now, floating in the air like puppets on strings :)

Cheers

Desert Hydro

Veteran
new build

10 cxm22's with a single hlg600 driver. constant amperage. easy build. minimum effort

lights a 4x4 like no other

Attachments

• MVIMG_20171214_170333.jpg
    MVIMG_20171214_170333.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 28
  • MVIMG_20180113_181442.jpg
    MVIMG_20180113_181442.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 26

Koondense

Veteran
hey dude, been away a minute

whats the best bang for buck at the minute? eb strip series 2?
samsungs look good too, just lazy to crunch the numbers and run down the rabbit hole

Hey dion,
realistically can't say, I'm not updated with the latest stuff, still very happy with my good old CXBs and Vero gen7s. Seen some QB boards(240W) in action, they seem top stuff, can get a good price for a kit version.

LostInSog's option seems a very interesting one, add some green* and you're beating the Hydro Grow spectrum lol.
I'm still thinking of a multi cob with different CRIs and with something like this purple one by Lumiled.

Cheers

*oh, wait! they already got green ;)
source: https://www.lumileds.com/uploads/696/DS195-pdf

picture.php

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Yeah im digging the rose but the purple has a greater red+far red to blue ratio so im possibly thinking of mixing them not sure, i might wait till after this grow to decide. So far i have 10 of the rose(with the green) suited and booted for the next grow and building more. These only came out in 2017 and philips dont fuck about lol those dutch know growing, the cobs are actually made in America i think lumileds is a US based subsidiary of philips..

The spectrums go into uv and far red nicely. Penetration/light throw is considerably better than samsungs.. doubt ill be looking back. Just waiting on a new quantum sensor now, after dropping my old one in a bucket of water, to test whether ive distributed them far apart enough and running enough current, and what hanging height but im thinking the ceiling tbh these are high bay.

Super easy to install takes me 20 mins to build a rig. ive put 4 on the pretty massive heatsink below and it can handle them but the other rigs only have 3 on each to have more 3x cob rigs spread over wider area. At 2100mah they pull 120w each. You could run them at 1750 i reckon and not lose that much compared to 2100 but im not over heating them and they are rated to run over 3500mah i think if you could cool them fast enough, which i dont think you can without some water cooled system.

Im very impressed with them at 2100 any way.. 120w is a nice round figure..

For your reference im mounting them on these beasts:

https://www.tme.eu/gb/details/rad-a6023_1000/radiators/stonecold/

And its meanwell lpc 150 2100 drivers for each one in my case.

Running 1750 or even 1400 you could put multiples on an lpc 150w meanwell driver (gotta get the V math right!) but i wanted to run them just under the test current they ran them at in their tests, 2250mah, and roughly half of max total rated to be sure of a long lifespan. Turns out they are bloody powerful @2100mah.. cats out the bag on the lumiled sunplus cobs now, i was going to par test and run them before advising them but after hooking them up im excited, results to be released. I can say ive used a similar COB by LUGA panasonic and they were great but these sunplus look to be better due to the greater power behind them.

They are binned on PPF as well.. so guaranteed efficacy for horticulture vs other binning systems used by manufacturers based on voltage.

For light nerds, they have a horticulture calculator that shows exact ratios of what the sunplus cobs put out. It requires a simple email verfied login to use.

https://lumileds.pnwsoft.com/RunPython.aspx?t=21

Happy growing!

:tiphat: :smokeit:

Koondense

Veteran
Thanks LostInaSog for the first hand infos.

After some minimal research and calculating a comparison based on datasheet numbers, it seems the cxb@50W is 1,3X and vero SE@96W is 1,26X more efficent compared to the Lumiled Sunplus@120W. Still quite a good performance for a purple cob.

I'm thinking about 3-4 mixed cobs on an alu plate with some added heatsinks like alpine64plus, might be one hell of a cob light.

Cheers

MedGrowerTom

Organic Dank Land
Veteran
Lots of good info here, plan to build something towards the end of the year or so. Will def post here before purchasing anything.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Thanks LostInaSog for the first hand infos.

After some minimal research and calculating a comparison based on datasheet numbers, it seems the cxb@50W is 1,3X and vero SE@96W is 1,26X more efficent compared to the Lumiled Sunplus@120W. Still quite a good performance for a purple cob.

I'm thinking about 3-4 mixed cobs on an alu plate with some added heatsinks like alpine64plus, might be one hell of a cob light.

Cheers

Yeah but at those W thats running the cxb and vero much lower relative to their max compared to what im running the lumiled at and those calculations just look at output not efficacy of the message within the photons which id be willing to wager makes these in terms of quality of end product more efficient. Ill be interested to see anyway ive run a room of cxbs in the past and i just dont think those human eye tailored spectrum lights are as good for horticulture and signalling.

Koondense

Veteran
Yeah, I forgot to mention that, actually was going to make that point.
The Sunplus should(as all leds) be more efficient when not driven hard, so maybe we can expect a similar output/W as the most used cobs.
Actually in my calculations I was using PAR PPF data not lumens, just for clarification.

The spectrum debate is a whole another thing, I'm personally not a fan of red+blue light systems, mainly because I think the best light for plants is the sun under which they had most part of their natural evolution. Artificial lights and selection under them works differently to doing it under the sun or artificial white light(continuous spectrum).
Some say and also can prove that some spectrums are better for yields and I can believe that. It's just that yield is one goal and photosynthesis is just one(albeit the most important) process among others.
For quality of end product I believe it's still best to have a white light with maybe additional reds(yield, stretch) but that's only my belief, not science.

So these cobs could work brilliantly coupled with white cobs, when prices drop I'll get a few and do some testing.
LostinaSog, when the time comes I'll follow your grow of course, these things are indeed very interesting and important.

Cheers

Dion

:tiphat:
Yeah, I forgot to mention that, actually was going to make that point.
The Sunplus should(as all leds) be more efficient when not driven hard, so maybe we can expect a similar output/W as the most used cobs.
Actually in my calculations I was using PAR PPF data not lumens, just for clarification.

The spectrum debate is a whole another thing, I'm personally not a fan of red+blue light systems, mainly because I think the best light for plants is the sun under which they had most part of their natural evolution. Artificial lights and selection under them works differently to doing it under the sun or artificial white light(continuous spectrum).
Some say and also can prove that some spectrums are better for yields and I can believe that. It's just that yield is one goal and photosynthesis is just one(albeit the most important) process among others.
For quality of end product I believe it's still best to have a white light with maybe additional reds(yield, stretch) but that's only my belief, not science.

So these cobs could work brilliantly coupled with white cobs, when prices drop I'll get a few and do some testing.
LostinaSog, when the time comes I'll follow your grow of course, these things are indeed very interesting and important.

Cheers

Fuck guys

Time for led to grow up

I remember when I started this thread just hoping to put all the basic I do in one place, discuss help and learn

Wow was I wrong haha

Thousands of members Pm me, hundreds join the forum to discuss and I get warnings for calling out lies from led companies that advertise here.

I see the quantum boards killing the market, copies popping up everywhere

Sumsung themselves fuck over hlg and start producing Thier own boards.

Over it guys

Led shouldn't be this hard or expensive

I'm about to start a custom PCB project
Will produce strips and boards using Samsung, cree, osram, bridgelux diodes

Red strips
UV strips
Far red strips

And some goddamb cheap and good white boards and strips

From now I am using cree and bridgelux :thank you:

Also doing full units not diy, proper ones with cases and switches lol

1 St unit is called the katana

80w of 5000k on 1 dimmer and 40w of 625,630,655,660,665 and 730nm
On a separate dimmer

Final spectrum is a full as fuck 3200k with a red tinge

40w red and 40 w side lighting for supplementing hps: 90 usd

120w true watt light is for a 2*2 and will cost around $150 usd

156w no red for 2x2 about 150

315w for 3x3... ect ect

Oh yeah

Once they ban me pm my friends on here to get in touch

Koondense

Veteran
Once they ban me pm my friends on here to get in touch

You made me laugh here Dion :D
Welcome back again brother! And stay here, don't get banned please ;)

The Katana sounds top, got any pictures?
Will they be plug-and-grow?

I was thinking not long ago of two-three supplemental strips(mostly res + little UV) for my cobs...glad to see you are thinking the same or similar.
A design idea for a red supplemental katana:

rey-new-double-lightsaber.jpg

Cheers