What's new

LED FAQ) Building and DIY

Koondense

Veteran
What's your budget?
You can build wirh cobs, smd's or just household leds.
Of course all depends on your goals and budget.

I suggest you start with just ordinary house led bulbs, remove the covers and place 4 attachments in all 4(or at least 2) top corners of your box. Combine 3000K and 4000K, the target with these bulbs would be around 50-60W/sq ft. Should cost you 15-50£€$, depending where you live.

Cheers

Seshwan

What's your budget?
You can build wirh cobs, smd's or just household leds.
Of course all depends on your goals and budget.

I suggest you start with just ordinary house led bulbs, remove the covers and place 4 attachments in all 4(or at least 2) top corners of your box. Combine 3000K and 4000K, the target with these bulbs would be around 50-60W/sq ft. Should cost you 15-50£€$, depending where you live.

Cheers

Hi Koondense,

Thanks for the quick response. I don;t really have a budget per se, I am building a PC grow box at the moment and from what I am reading a DIY light using COB's would get me the best lighting possible in such a small space due to heat/space requirements. Is my understanding right?

Seshwan

I am going to use 5 of those strip[s above. Just trying to find a driver for them now.

Could someone check my figures to see if this driver would work?

LED strip data -

Current - Test 350mA Temperature - Test 50°C Voltage - Forward (Vf) (Typ) 22.1V Lumens/Watt @ Current - Test 156 lm/W Current - Max 700mA CRI (Color Rendering Index) 80

I will be running them at 350Ma

They apparently run at 7.7W per strip so for 5 would a 60W driver suffice?

There does the voltage come in when specing up a driver? Apologies for the stupid questions but I am just learning this stuff

Dion

I am going to use 5 of those strip[s above. Just trying to find a driver for them now.

Could someone check my figures to see if this driver would work?

LED strip data -

Current - Test 350mA Temperature - Test 50°C Voltage - Forward (Vf) (Typ) 22.1V Lumens/Watt @ Current - Test 156 lm/W Current - Max 700mA CRI (Color Rendering Index) 80

I will be running them at 350Ma

They apparently run at 7.7W per strip so for 5 would a 60W driver suffice?

There does the voltage come in when specing up a driver? Apologies for the stupid questions but I am just learning this stuff

they rnt really that good value, better off going with 2 vero 29 and on an HLG 120 36A

for just a bit more money you have a light that is expandable way beyond what you need now but dimmable down to silly efficiency in the meanwhile

Arf

they rnt really that good value, better off going with 2 vero 29 and on an HLG 120 36A

for just a bit more money you have a light that is expandable way beyond what you need now but dimmable down to silly efficiency in the meanwhile

COBs are essentially the same LEDs that are used in strips except clumped up into a little space a few cm across. You have to then muck around with placement to get the light to spread out evenly, usually requiring a fair bit of vertical space, a luxury you don't have in a 17" PC case grow that Seshwan is attempting.

I have tried HPS, MH, fluros, CFL, and half a dozen different types of COBs in 3-4sq. ft. micro grows, and the strip LEDs beat them all.

I spent around $100 all up for 15 x 280m Bridgelux strips, a 180w 12v power supply, and a couple of eBay boost converters to get it up to 22.1v, and my light meter tells me it's the most even setup I have ever had.

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
COBs are essentially the same LEDs that are used in strips except clumped up into a little space a few cm across. You have to then muck around with placement to get the light to spread out evenly, usually requiring a fair bit of vertical space, a luxury you don't have in a 17" PC case grow that Seshwan is attempting.

I have tried HPS, MH, fluros, CFL, and half a dozen different types of COBs in 3-4sq. ft. micro grows, and the strip LEDs beat them all.

I spent around $100 all up for 15 x 280m Bridgelux strips, a 180w 12v power supply, and a couple of eBay boost converters to get it up to 22.1v, and my light meter tells me it's the most even setup I have ever had.

sounds legit

Koondense

Veteran
I agree, for micro growing these strips should be perfect.
When spaces get bigger i think cobs are better and probably cheaper too.

Dion

legit indeed :tiphat:

how much did that set you back?

LDGS

Led Grow Boards

Led Grow Boards

Comming soon:

attachment.php

2 boards
Desing 1: 1 HLG 185H C1400
Desing 2: 1 HLG 240H C1750
Desing 3: 1 HLG 320H C2100

attachment.php

4 boards
Desing 1: 1 HLG 480H C1400
Desing 2: 1 HLG 480H C1750
Desing 3: 2 HLG 320H C2100

attachment.php

Cheers

Attachments

• ledgrowboard.jpg
    ledgrowboard.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 2xcalculator.jpg
    2xcalculator.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 4 X Calculator.jpg
    4 X Calculator.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 27

maree

Data sheet for one of the Samsung F series strips. Can anyone tell me if I'm reading this wrongly but it looks like the luminous efficacy's increasing as the current goes up. Or am I just being being a bit dim?

https://www.samsung.com/global/busi...cts/201704/Data_Sheet_F_Series_G3_Rev.1.0.pdf

Page 7 (though labelled page 8 on the document itself) for F564B, the particular type I'm interested in.

(Sorry about not being able to past a page from a pdf in here. Anyone knows how to do it without adobe pro and a load of hassle, let me know please.)

LDGS

Data sheet for one of the Samsung F series strips. Can anyone tell me if I'm reading this wrongly but it looks like the luminous efficacy's increasing as the current goes up. Or am I just being being a bit dim?

https://www.samsung.com/global/busi...cts/201704/Data_Sheet_F_Series_G3_Rev.1.0.pdf

Page 7 (though labelled page 8 on the document itself) for F564B, the particular type I'm interested in.

(Sorry about not being able to past a page from a pdf in here. Anyone knows how to do it without adobe pro and a load of hassle, let me know please.)

I think you are misreading the datasheet, I think you are referring to the CCT or color temperature

maree

I think you are misreading the datasheet, I think you are referring to the CCT or color temperature

Hi - and thanks for your response. Went back to the data sheet to check and, yes, the CCT does go up with current (given third row up from the bottom and increasing left to right) but I haven't confused the rows.

Luminous efficacy (second set of data from the top) shows an increase left to right, within a given CCT, as well as top to bottom across the various given colour temperatures.

I would expect the latter but not necessarily the former. Unless the slight increases in a given CCT and the resulting greater blue component more than compensates for the loss in efficacy as current gets higher?

Last edited:

Koondense

Veteran
Hey guys,
I'm about to get me some material for a new setup based on cobs.
Here I need your help to pick the best there is for less money possible, of course :)
So far I'm very happy with my cxb3590 but now its maybe time to try veros or citizens... or stick to cxbs maybe?
I'd be very happy for the buying advices, I should go check some spec sheets by myself but time is very tight and i got a limited connection... so if you know the best options, bring them here :)

I'm looking for a 1,2x1,2m(450-675w max) or (2x) 1x1m(2x 300-400w) setup options. Anything in between 50-100w/cob, targeting 30-40w/sq ft in imperial units.

Thanks for any comment

Cheers

Dion

Hey guys,
I'm about to get me some material for a new setup based on cobs.
Here I need your help to pick the best there is for less money possible, of course :)
So far I'm very happy with my cxb3590 but now its maybe time to try veros or citizens... or stick to cxbs maybe?
I'd be very happy for the buying advices, I should go check some spec sheets by myself but time is very tight and i got a limited connection... so if you know the best options, bring them here :)

I'm looking for a 1,2x1,2m(450-675w max) or (2x) 1x1m(2x 300-400w) setup options. Anything in between 50-100w/cob, targeting 30-40w/sq ft in imperial units.

Thanks for any comment

Cheers

im not sure about the taxes where u are but last i checked the vero29(laatest gen...7? one of the other voltages not 36v) from digikey was the best value

EDIT: lol

https://www.digikey.com.au/product-detail/en/bridgelux/BXRC-40E10K0-B-73/976-1424-ND/6152434

or

https://www.digikey.com.au/product-detail/en/bridgelux/BXRC-30E10K0-B-73/976-1397-ND/6152407

get 3 and you qualify for free shipping and its cheaper than 2 of cutters' 38v veros after shipping (i got slammed with VAT in the EU from cutter so dunno about digikey)

Koondense

Veteran
Hey Dion!
I just got everything I need for my new light, in the end I went with Vero Gen7 SE 3500K(the 70V version), two cobs per one hlg185H-C1400A.
These 70V versions have best output/W on paper.
Got them from my Chinese friends :)

How are you dion? Hope all is good and wish you happy holidays and a great new year!

Cheers bro!