What's new

LED FAQ) Building and DIY

Koondense

Veteran
Who knows, I suspect his attitude towards some sellers here was not tolerated.
We miss you Dion :(

@LocDog
I don't know, they will probably get pretty hot. Maybe worth a try for that money(if they're real Vero29s).

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I would love to buy some from Cutter, but it is 2 months and they still show zero kits in stock, and never reply to e-mail.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
getting my 8x8 rigs set up. just waiting on heatsinks. chinese new year is fucking my timeline up!!!

32 cxm22s @ 50w each for one 4x8 and 32 1212s @ 37.5w on the other 4x8. we shall see which one yields better GPW wise.

Attachments

• IMG_1611.jpg
    IMG_1611.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1622.JPG
    IMG_1622.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 17

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Someone might be able to help me here

Yesterday I connected 4 cxb3070 to a chinese driver I got on amazon, 36v 180w 5.61amp

They ran bright as fuck, as expected, but they were flashing a lot, every few secs you would notice a flash... anyone ever experienced this before? I switched them to 2 meanwell 1.95amp drivers and they run fine...

is this just a shitty driver or what? I'll probably just ship it back and leave it on the 2 mw drivers for now...

Jeeyah

Someone might be able to help me here

Yesterday I connected 4 cxb3070 to a chinese driver I got on amazon, 36v 180w 5.61amp

They ran bright as fuck, as expected, but they were flashing a lot, every few secs you would notice a flash... anyone ever experienced this before? I switched them to 2 meanwell 1.95amp drivers and they run fine...

is this just a shitty driver or what? I'll probably just ship it back and leave it on the 2 mw drivers for now...

Did you run it at 5.6 amps? Did you run it in parallel or something?

jikko77

i do think it was something on that driver.
are you sure it is a constant current one?
the output was a steady 36v?

Koondense

Veteran
Probably the driver's fault. Another reason not to buy cheap chinese ones.

Guys, why wait for the kits? All you need is parts, and they're cheaper when bought separately.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Probably the driver's fault. Another reason not to buy cheap chinese ones.

Guys, why wait for the kits? All you need is parts, and they're cheaper when bought separately.

I fear buying the wrong things. Datasheets and finding something at Digikey or Newark is very confusing to a layman. I understand the basics to put the parts together, but do not want to blowup expensive parts, by overlooking a technicality.

If someone listed what driver, heatsink, Vero 29 Gen 7 3500K COB, the thermal thing, reflector and or lens, with part numbers, would try. Do not want to have to return or get stuck with thousands in parts that would be worthless to me, if wrong.

I noticed that Cutter avoids listing too much information, to discourage people from doing it themselves. Cutter also had pre-drilled and tapped holes in heatsink for COB, and maybe connecting to angle aluminum.

Sorry if that was incoherent rambling. Up all night and took muscle relaxant for my bad back.

I also think there is a lack of community spirit here, compared to years ago. Used to know some very helpful people, like Dion, and others, but not so much recently.

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
They are in parallel, the driver could not be Constant current, not sure, I didnt see anything about it written on it.. I'll send the driver back and probably invest on a meanwell in a few months or so! Thanks for the help guys

jikko77

They are in parallel, the driver could not be Constant current, not sure, I didnt see anything about it written on it.. I'll send the driver back and probably invest on a meanwell in a few months or so! Thanks for the help guys

be sure to use a C.C. driver.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Does anyone have any links to spacing and patterns for Vero 29 COB's? It would be a lot of work doing trial and error, and testing with lumen meter.

gmanwho

Veteran
Does anyone have any links to spacing and patterns for Vero 29 COB's? It would be a lot of work doing trial and error, and testing with lumen meter.

i am not an expert, i went 12" on center. post 1374. with the meanwell 320w 2.1a driver , running 4 at 80w a pice i get 800 umol at 20inches below light, all the way down the strip

Desert Hydro

Veteran
one down, three to go!

Attachments

• IMG_1681.JPG
    IMG_1681.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1677.JPG
    IMG_1677.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1679.JPG
    IMG_1679.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 18

Safe Gardener

The 1212's are cheap enough, I'm going to pick some up and see what they can do.

It'll be interesting to compare them against the China 100 watt chips that I am currently playing around with.

gmanwho

Veteran
trying to figure some things out here. basically watts consumed vs heat output, watts consumed vs par umol whatever, light efficiency.

in particular the vero 29 gen 7 with the meanwell 2.1a 320w driver. running 4 of the vero29 gen 7 cobs.

Verse a 315cmh Phillips bulb.

trying to figure pros an cons other then the bulb replacement every 5k hours say....

these cobs get hot. one of my last experiences i was training back some branches into a trellis netting, a branch got loose an brushed up against the cob. within a second the branch leaf & small site started to fry an sizzle. puff of vaporized smoke. i was like wow!!! that seemed just as hot to me as a barebulb.

the price an time building the led's, which just are say around $325-350 a setup. 4 cobbs , driver, heat sink,fans,an 10$ for wire potentiometer etc. then atleast 4-5 hrs of my time drilling, tapping, wiring up an soldering, installing fans etc

or buying a 315 cmh ballast reflector setup, and then a phillips bulb, all for about $300 shipped to the door.

i got a bunch of side lighting i wanna bring into an area. expanding my canopy out of my current DE lighted pattern.

i just setup 3 units with 4 cob lights on a 4ft heatsink, as mention above, an still working on the 4th. that is half of my project, im planning another 4 to go around the other way as well.

i also know i need to add in additionally another 18-24kbtu of cooling before the summer months.

looking at how i should weigh these options based on efficiency an or opinions

thanks..... an this thread has been a great help!!