What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

LED FAQ) Building and DIY

Dion

Thanks jikko. Good to know for when I eventually expand the rig.

yup jikko is a good guy

also you should consider that the B version MW drivers will often give an extra 8-15% power when the dim+ dim- is open

so its also worth putting in a switch(in series ) with the dimmer

so that you have on=pot active off= open(+10% power, its like overdrive)

this way you can dim the pot manually as needed when working in there and just flip it back to full power when u r done, obviously you pot settings will remain for next time u switch it to pot

also i apologise to everyone who reads my post for that fact that i can't spell nor can my fingers hit a single key at a time and there r always stupid typos in my writing, i appreciate those who have the intellect to look past it

GoeRilla

those last heat sinks u used u said came from a mini fridge?

any model? how do i get it out without killing myself? there is an ocean of old fridges at the rubbish tip

Oh, totally forgot about that.
I was talking about the 12V cooling boxes that are electronic.
Like this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24L-PORTA...N-FRIDGE-WITH-12V-240V-ADAPTERS-/322154968548
It has 2 heat sinks in the lid, one for cooling the box and one for cooling the Peltier element.
Mine was screwed together.

Rilla.

jikko77

yep any model Dion, that can be attached to a current socket/car.
they are used to cool down the hot side of a peltier module. (i didn't get you were talking of mini fridge lol)

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
yup jikko is a good guy

also you should consider that the B version MW drivers will often give an extra 8-15% power when the dim+ dim- is open

so its also worth putting in a switch(in series ) with the dimmer

so that you have on=pot active off= open(+10% power, its like overdrive)

this way you can dim the pot manually as needed when working in there and just flip it back to full power when u r done, obviously you pot settings will remain for next time u switch it to pot

Thanks D. I think that's basically what I was saying. When I expand Ill replace the pots Ive got now with pots that whose stems are also a on/off push button.
That will just be for when the space isn't loaded with plants.

jikko77

@wildgrow: to use a on/off function you need a relay, not just a push pot, it has to cut the ac in while you press the pot.

assuming you are using a meanwell, b model:

Dion

piranhaz

Can 2 /300 watt Crees, replace 2/600w Hps 3x6ft sog ?

Can 2 /300 watt Crees, replace 2/600w Hps 3x6ft sog ?

Hi Dion, I have a few questions if you have the time. After reading your FAQ I realized almost a year has past, so technology has advanced a bit.

Hypothetically would it be possible to use say 2 / 300 watt Cree's to replace a 3x6 ft SOG running 2 air-cooled 600 hps and still have the same production?

If so what kind of recipe would you suggest ?

Also do you think cooling would be required, outside of just a filter extraction/venting to outside?

Thanks

Dion

Hi Dion, I have a few questions if you have the time. After reading your FAQ I realized almost a year has past, so technology has advanced a bit.

Hypothetically would it be possible to use say 2 / 300 watt Cree's to replace a 3x6 ft SOG running 2 air-cooled 600 hps and still have the same production?

If so what kind of recipe would you suggest ?

Also do you think cooling would be required, outside of just a filter extraction/venting to outside?

Thanks

300w of cree can easily replace a 600w hps. 1 cree cxb3590 run at 300w will not work though

no cool tubing will be required, just ur regular filter vent combo(provided you are extracting from above the light fixture)

um.... recipe dunno man, lots of options depending on your requirements, budget? efficiency? heat?

LEDs are great for solving a problem within the grow room.

why do you wanna switch to LED? if you know the answer to that i can help you with a recipe

piranhaz

lowering the cost of electricity by 40% ?

lowering the cost of electricity by 40% ?

300w of cree can easily replace a 600w hps. 1 cree cxb3590 run at 300w will not work though

no cool tubing will be required, just ur regular filter vent combo(provided you are extracting from above the light fixture)

um.... recipe dunno man, lots of options depending on your requirements, budget? efficiency? heat?

LEDs are great for solving a problem within the grow room.

why do you wanna switch to LED? if you know the answer to that i can help you with a recipe

I think LEDs efficiency if I understand correctly would lower one's electricity usage by approx 40% and lower ambient heat by at least 25%?

That would be my motivation to do so.. I'm not too concerned about the budget if we are talking a DIY project. I don't need all the bells and whistles just something that works well.

I don't want to spend 1k per light, something around $500 per light if we are talking 2 lights. Put another way $500 or less per / 300 watts ? sounds doable. Obviously, the or less sounds better but I'm realistic.

Recap:So $250-$500 per each 600 watt hps replacement. Lower electricity and same or better production concerns, lower heat output as well. If that all can be rolled into 1 package.

more narrow electricity and production

Running 220/240 volts ?

Last edited:

Kukutyin

Hey guys.

I'd ask something heatsink related. Planning to run citileds 038 (19x19mm 37.5V at 0.7A(26.25W)).

A 14fins 111mm wide x 32mm height x 500mm length would be enough to heat passively 3 of these cobs? Some additional on the heatsink, the base is 7.5mm thick.

C

cannaisok

can i trust my lux meter readings to compare cxb3590 or cxa3070 to hps? i have no way to get a ppm meter...
if one will mesure lux of hps 600 or 400 watt. whats the number? 80-100k lux or more?
how many lux would i need to have with 3500k 400k(standart) to have better results?

i have a lux meter and a cxb and a cxa fixture.. first run was by eye mesurement and now that i have one cheapo luxmeter i read more than 200k lux on top of canopy.
The plants did 60days but had a hard life ;) all big leafes were very early(3re 4th week) purple or started to yellow:)by day 60 og had all fans dried completely:bandit: superb results in smell and taste, many many chrystals.

now i want to know how to improve overall light spread to maximize yield...
i can do only very few grows per year and i am extreamly limited in electricity consumption..
after i raised the lights i already got a nicer spread but i dont know how far i can go.
4x4tent 6x3590 1050mA MWdriver (first run 2x3) 2rows of3 cob
thanks, your thread was a great help!

piranhaz

"Won't a 315w Philips Elite Agro do the same regarding power saving?"

I remember everyone talking about them a few years ago, I didn't realize they could compete with 600's 1 on 1. I'm checking into that thanks.

Last edited:
C

cannaisok

My last setup was 210W 4200k and 3100k philips bulbs philips ballast...
200w of led is by far better! less heat, much better lightspread without hotspots. dimmable for veg. no 300°C bulb in my room anymore, means less fire thread. Plants drink a little less wich isnt too bad at all..

one thing about the cdm-t´s, especially 4200k the unbeatable light spectrum. but 3500k from cxb isnt far behind!

As the prices for the CDM setups didnt go down significantly over years(and i started usind this tech back in 2013), and the people still have a hard time with the right hoods. I suggest everybody in 2016 to go COB route... its already much cheaper than in the beginning of 2016!

brown_thumb

My last setup was 210W 4200k and 3100k philips bulbs philips ballast...
200w of led is by far better! less heat, much better lightspread without hotspots. dimmable for veg. no 300°C bulb in my room anymore, means less fire thread. Plants drink a little less wich isnt too bad at all..

one thing about the cdm-t´s, especially 4200k the unbeatable light spectrum. but 3500k from cxb isnt far behind!

As the prices for the CDM setups didnt go down significantly over years(and i started usind this tech back in 2013), and the people still have a hard time with the right hoods. I suggest everybody in 2016 to go COB route... its already much cheaper than in the beginning of 2016!

But those weren't the 315w Philips Elite Agro or Master Color. Those are said to be as good as 600w CMH or HPS.

C

cannaisok

But those weren't the 315w Philips Elite Agro or Master Color. Those are said to be as good as 600w CMH or HPS.

210w elite CDM-T pgz18 4200k 3100k is exactly same tech as 315w CDM-T Pgz18
I tested open rated and enclosed protected bulbs...

I think i can compare 210W of CDM (224w total consomption) against 200REAL watt of CXB
and expect simmilar comparable result like
315wCDM(330w) vs 300W of CXB.

200$ballast and 50$bulb for CDM PLUS reflector(every year a new one in best case) = 200+50+100 , 350 plus 100$every year..
vs. 400-500$max for 8CXB3590 plus driver, reflectors included, heatsinks included, wires everything...
no running cost until chips die, but after 3or more years will be new gen of cxb and new gen of growers arguing wich way to go^^

i think it depends on setup too.

piranhaz

Yeah, I'm interested in the 3100k master color. I'm trying to figure out if a regular dimmable 600watt MH/HPS will work on them. A regular Phantom e-ballast HPS/MH compatible has 60% dim which would be 350watts. I hear one thing and then another regarding ballast.

I think maybe the Phillips maybe different from other CMH and need low-frequency sign wave -something like that, but I've read from others saying that MH and CMH are the same, and should be compatible with digital MH ballast?

Last edited:

piranhaz

2/3d's Whats your take go 315w mastercolor or Cree's

2/3d's Whats your take go 315w mastercolor or Cree's

Not quite, but close 2/3d's of the way there.

What's your take as far as efficiency and yield. 600 watts of Cree's or 2x Phillips 315's 3100k master color to replace 2 600's 3x6 ft sog ?