What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

LED FAQ) Building and DIY

Ok, I just need to wire up my fans. When i cut the PC clip off i have a yellow, black, blue, and green wire.
Can anyone tell me which ones are V+ and V-? Thanks in advance. Yellow and black are the only ones i get resistance on.

Peace, Roast.

Sforza

Veteran
Ok, I just need to wire up my fans. When i cut the PC clip off i have a yellow, black, blue, and green wire.
Can anyone tell me which ones are V+ and V-? Thanks in advance. Yellow and black are the only ones i get resistance on.

Peace, Roast.

http://www.pavouk.org/hw/fan/en_fan4wire.html

4wirefanconn.png

Build 1 up and running. 4 COBs 4fans all fired up first attempt. I'm very impressed with the amount of light these throw out. Have it over 6 clones that were under a 4bulb flouro that ran at 216w, this one at 250w has to be quadruple the lumens. The clones were flipped after rooting, 3are doing ok and 3 aren't doing much, but the new lamp should def improve their situation.

I felt the heatsinks after running for 8 hours at max power, and they were cool to the touch. The arctic 64 plus is an excellent choice. Good advice Dion.

I would like to thank evry1 that helped me get this project completed. Also big thanks to Dion for working this thread and sharing his knowledge.

I will post pics after lights on. I still have some cable management to do, but I want to see if everything is fine for a few days.

Peace, Roast.

Zombiewoof

Haven't posted much & lurker
jumped in with both feet chuckin'g da mars2 (C/L they go ! )
got 32 3590 CD binning lilndel reflectors , meanwell 185's running @1400
planning a bar build 4 cob oper bar, meanwell 185 , cpu coolers , fan power supply
the meanies will have a dimmer & boost switch
this will run @ 56% efficent the cobs running @ aprox 50 watts 200 watts per bar
the room will load 1600watts at 1st & i might add more
it's gonna be a high grow room is 5 x6' 8 ' ceiling A/C on board
I wuz running well over 2K from the wall in mars 2 before a complete make over on everything room & lights

Haven't posted much & lurker
jumped in with both feet chuckin'g da mars2 (C/L they go ! )
got 32 3590 CD binning lilndel reflectors , meanwell 185's running @1400
planning a bar build 4 cob oper bar, meanwell 185 , cpu coolers , fan power supply
the meanies will have a dimmer & boost switch
this will run @ 56% efficent the cobs running @ aprox 50 watts 200 watts per bar
the room will load 1600watts at 1st & i might add more
it's gonna be a high grow room is 5 x6' 8 ' ceiling A/C on board
I wuz running well over 2K from the wall in mars 2 before a complete make over on everything room & lights

That's going to be nice.

Peace, Roast.

jikko77

note on my own pannel:

- the driver is running at full current (1400mA), it can be handled by bare hands, but is quite warm, i'd say nearly hot.
- a better ventilation or cooling system for the driver is strongly raccomanded, if you decided to run it at full current.
- the heatsink are still cold, even after a 3 days on, non stop.
- the g.b. t° is increased by much, so much i've to re time the ventilation. (driver inside the g.b.for now)
- the cob are very bright, i din't expected so much, i wondering if it may generate albinism.

He are pic of how is handled into the g.b.

p.s. the power cord has been moved in a better position, after i took the pic :p

@Roasty McToasty: hey, what's that red caps over the wire? they look interesting, is it possible to have a better view of them? thanks!

krood

heres some pics of my light, not sure why the pics are upside down and sideways. ive never posted pictures before so hopefully they work.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

krood

i plugged my light into a killawatt unit, pretty interesting. at full power the light pulls approx 460 watts, and watching it, the wattage slowly climbs for about an hour, i didn't notice mine climbing more than ten watts. at full power, i think mine get really hot, at first, i had the drivers on top of the tent, but it was warm enough i was worried about damaging the tent, or starting a fire, so I moved them, shortening the distance between cob and driver, where they still get really hot IMO. but after tuning the drivers down like i had planned on, the light only pulls about 235-240 watts at 2 amps and the drivers are barely warmer than ambient temps.

theres eight cobs total, just couldnt capture them all with my camera, in a 2x4 tent, i also fried my fans the first time i plugged this light in, so i ziptied differedt fans on and they work just fine.

if i were to do it again, i might have used just one or two long heatsinks, but this was a great way for me to get my feet wet in diy.

@Krood: That is badass! Nice job man.

About the heat of your drivers, idk mine is running 1750ma, 4 cxb3590's and is slightly warm to touch after 12 hours on. Hopefully someone more experience will chime in.

Peace, Roast.

krood

Roasty, thanks! Luckily i have no plans running them at full power so im not going to stress it.

Ttystikk

I'm running four CXB3590 chips per driver and mine stay very cool. I have 26 modules running with this very combo, all are performing well.

Safe Gardener

This thread is why I joined icmag. You guys have more current DIY COB LED info in this one thread than I have been able to find across the whole web. Granted I'm not the worlds best searcher (though, pretty good) but most of my reading brought me back here.

So, last year I started reading about DIY LED COD's and as many of us has I impulse bought on the good old E-bay one night and ended up with 4 100W COB's (2x warm white and 2x cool white) and a Mean Well CLG-150-48A Driver. Any of you that have read the data sheet for the driver I bought can see that I din't know what I was buying and to tell you the truth I'm still not sure how to best utilize this thing.

The COB's are china ones and I've decided to buy china drivers for them to "get my feet wet" with DIY COB's. Throughout the last year I have sourced heatsinks/fans and will be assembling them in the next couple weeks.

To my questions: How can I best utilize the CLG-150-48A? I would like to buy some Vero 18 or 13 chips for this thing, but with the voltage being 48 I'm not sure what I can do. Are there 24V COB's that I can run in series and a couple/few parallel strings of? I know these are newb questions, but that's what I am and any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

-Safe Gardener

Dion

run 2/3 of whatver cree 3070/3590/vero 29cobs in paralel and check the voltage/ampers and adjust acordingly with screwdriver

no series option here voltage isi too low even with vero 10

best way to use tht driver?

id run llike 4(or5) strings of 800mA and use cheaper smaller cobs like 2540 or vero 13/18 in a colder temp liike 4000-5000k ect and fill in the voltage with monos like 620nm and a splash of 660nm os some surexi F3 modules

the driver is 36-48v so youo can just run 5 strings with 1 cob+1 mono each possibly look at fast techs 4000k cxa2530 and thier 620 cree monos