What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

LED FAQ) Building and DIY

jesbuds

Actually that makes sense, make it a complete circuit that just isn't really doing anything.

Edit: This brings back nostalgic memories of my circuits class, unfortunately for my grades, one of my favorite things to do was blow up caps and watch them shoot to the ceiling :).

Last edited:
M

mugenbao

The dimming diagram from an HLG-185H-C series:

attachment.php

You can see how they expect a minimum of 10K Ohms resistance in that circuit. So it would make sense to use a 10K Ohm resistor between Dim- and Dim+ at least.

Attachments

• Meanwell HLG-60H-C700 Dimming Circuit.jpg
    Meanwell HLG-60H-C700 Dimming Circuit.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 23

jesbuds

Yea just went through saving all the datasheets for things, was just looking at them online but I need to make sure to read through them properly, do this right. Thanks man.

Dion

Yea I got the HLG185 so one of the larger ones.

Quick question if anyone knows (researching now for myself), the DIM leads on these power supplies are for hookup to a dimmer switch correct? I don't plan to dim anything so probably just going to cap them off but want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Edit: Reading the datasheet through would have answered that for me (doh! stupid me, it would be there), figured it out.

you got the B version?

then rig any 100K pot to this to it and dim

jesbuds

Yessir B Version and as I was thinking about not using it, it seemed just as easy to wire in dimming so good idea. Thanks man.

Dion

Yessir B Version and as I was thinking about not using it, it seemed just as easy to wire in dimming so good idea. Thanks man.

its a good idea to put a 10k resistor in series so the 2 dim wires dont short

picture.php

pic credit to star dust sailor

jesbuds

And so it begins, chassis first, mounting things then I'll wire it up, fun times but damn does cutting aluminum with a hack saw get old :).

Not sure if I'll actually cover it in acrylic, might keep the raw aluminum look once done and be able to see the innards. Plus a lot more work cutting acrylic haha.

Attachments

• C1.jpg
    C1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 24
M

mugenbao

Sweet, make sure to update after assembly for those of us who like plenty of pics :)

The lack of a horizontal cross piece for the two in the middle is bugging me, lol. I know they'll be fine, it's just a thing for me :D

I'll be building a couple more lights this week myself, as soon as the parts come in. It's kind of addictive, haha.

Last edited:

jesbuds

My original thinking has been to cover it in 1/4" acrylic (kinda expensive) which does bend a bit but if connected to the metal frame, should hold pretty well and adds support. I do see some slight bending on the middle bar due to the driver weight, it looks like it bends ~1/16" so yea I'll be adding a cross support in the middle. Maybe just the 1/4" acrylic on top/bottom, thinner stuff on sides to save a bit of money.

Either way, feel like I got a good bit done today, close enough to think more on wiring and test things before I finish the top of the case (really I'm just tired of cutting/drilling aluminum today). Still need to find some small M3 self tapping screws for the chip locks to go onto the heatsinks.

Attachments

• C2.jpg
    C2.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 21
  • C3.jpg
    C3.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 21

Dion

My original thinking has been to cover it in 1/4" acrylic (kinda expensive) which does bend a bit but if connected to the metal frame, should hold pretty well and adds support. I do see some slight bending on the middle bar due to the driver weight, it looks like it bends ~1/16" so yea I'll be adding a cross support in the middle. Maybe just the 1/4" acrylic on top/bottom, thinner stuff on sides to save a bit of money.

Either way, feel like I got a good bit done today, close enough to think more on wiring and test things before I finish the top of the case (really I'm just tired of cutting/drilling aluminum today). Still need to find some small M3 self tapping screws for the chip locks to go onto the heatsinks.

looks good prett much the best way to do it if u are making a panel(i mean using the L profile and cpu coolers)

u didnt leave a lot of room to mount cobs?

well done and thanks for the inspirational pics. I love it when ppl stop by to share thier projects, helps everyone else reading

jesbuds

Thanks man and just enough room to mount COBs with chip-loks. They fit snugly, just gotta drill holes and mount them but don't want to do that just yet since the bottom sits flush on the ground and don't want it to sit on the LEDs. Anything that is too snug, I'll just use the dremel to open it up a bit.

Edit: And indeed that's why I share, figure I got my ideas/lots of info from here, only right to try to give back, may help no one, may give someone that idea they needed to finish there's.

Dion

Yikes. 228x68x39mm is a little bit larger than the ones I use, lol :D

Yes, on the B models it is for hooking up to an external dimmer like a resistor/potentiometer combo, etc.

I am almost certain you don't want to cap them off. I'm trying to find the original post I read on that, but in the meantime I remember someone mentioning why you don't want to short that circuit and suggesting at least a simple resistor instead.

so what sinks did u use in the end? with the ideal holders for 3070 yeah?
pics please:tiphat:

jesbuds

For those in the states, Microcenter sells really cheap heatsink/fan units, ranging from $7-14 for various sizes/types. As cheap or cheaper than what I found online with shipping.

M

mugenbao

so what sinks did u use in the end? with the ideal holders for 3070 yeah?
pics please:tiphat:
For that one, I used the ARCTIC Alpine 64 Plus because it was cheap enough, easily available, had free 2-day Prime shipping, and has a flat bottom which is 64mm x 74mm.

For the one I'm building right now, I'm waiting on heatsinks from heatsinkusa.com which I'm going to cool with 120mm Rosewill fans, all mounted in a custom enclosure.

I like the convenience of the CPU coolers, but the size of the base on those really isn't ideal.

Yes, I am using the Ideal COB holders. I like them, but it's a pain in the butt if you notice one of your cobs isn't seated quite right and have to take it all apart to fix it. The ones for the CX_30 don't have that keyhole that allows you to take it off without completely removing the screws like the ones for the CX_25 do. Kapton would have been easier during the "fiddling around trying to learn this shit and build my first light" stage :D

jesbuds

Noticed that on the chip-lok datasheets as I was reading it, had one image for the 25xx series which twist locks and I was like, "Oh cool....wait where is that on mine!" :).

welder22

just decide what chips u are gonna use and ur drive current first then i will work out the heatsink for ya :)

How is everything dion hope all is well. So I finally ordered some vero cobs and waiting on there arrival. Haven't ordered the sink or driver yet but hopefully soon. This is what I got tho kinda just experimenting,
2 of these 18's- 3000k 3 step 3662lm 28.6v max 2.1A 80 cri. And 1 13 5000k 3 step 1936lm 31.3v max 1.05A 80 cri. You said if I picked out the cobs you could help but if your too busy it's not a problem buddy. This is the start of something awesome I'm hoping glad I finally pulled the trigger lol. How's your store coming along, hope you are successful

M

mugenbao

@Dion
Here's a picture, couldn't turn the lights off(only dim), hope it helps.

View Image

You're planning on running six of these in a 10' x 5' area? Or did I miss a post somewhere?

I hope you keep us updated, I'd like to follow along on this :D

EDIT: Ah, found your thread :)

Dion

How is everything dion hope all is well. So I finally ordered some vero cobs and waiting on there arrival. Haven't ordered the sink or driver yet but hopefully soon. This is what I got tho kinda just experimenting,
2 of these 18's- 3000k 3 step 3662lm 28.6v max 2.1A 80 cri. And 1 13 5000k 3 step 1936lm 31.3v max 1.05A 80 cri. You said if I picked out the cobs you could help but if your too busy it's not a problem buddy. This is the start of something awesome I'm hoping glad I finally pulled the trigger lol. How's your store coming along, hope you are successful

good to hear from you agian, hope you are well?

store is going ok, was going to sell kits but now it looks like ill be building lights primarily for the european market, but also offer international shipping.

thanks for asking

so about your light how can i help?

drivers? you want those two 18s on one plug and the 5000k 13 on a separate rig? you need dimming?

heatsink depends on how many watts we need to dissipate so 1st we choose the drivers and then we find the sink to cool the watts

Latest posts

Latest posts