What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

LED FAQ) Building and DIY

BuddyColas

doesnt really matter for active cooling

for passive prob about 5cm

but i advise u to desighn the spacing around canopy uniformity then worry bout temps once u check them

FYI that heatsink is sold per inch not foot

98 cents per inch

the thermal capacity is listed as C/W/3": approximately 2.25

which as i understand means it can handle about .75w per inch(which doesnt seem right by looking at it[far too low] althoug converting those antiquated measurements into smth useful does confuse me)

perhaps others can help

anyway based on that and assuming you will drive thses 2530s @ 25w(power consumption not heat output which would need to be calculated based off efficiency which i dont bother with because no one ever regretted keeping leds too cold) you would need
10 inches per cob

that however sounds way off i must be missunderstanding the " C/W/3": approximately 2.25 "

other please chime in

Yes! CORRECTION noted, that would be 98c per inch (or about .91 Euros per 2.54cm for our European DIY’ers).

After considering your last reply, I called Jameco and canceled the ELG-150-C1050 for an ELG-150-C700. I’m going to keep it on the cool side!:biggrin:

I will try pushing the end LED out to 5cm from the end…that would leave me about 9” between 5 LEDs and hopefully a nice uniform PAR print and low heat so I can ease it down on the girls!

Dion

Yes! CORRECTION noted, that would be 98c per inch (or about .91 Euros per 2.54cm for our European DIY’ers).

After considering your last reply, I called Jameco and canceled the ELG-150-C1050 for an ELG-150-C700. I’m going to keep it on the cool side!:biggrin:

I will try pushing the end LED out to 5cm from the end…that would leave me about 9” between 5 LEDs and hopefully a nice uniform PAR print and low heat so I can ease it down on the girls!

sorry i didnt want to cause dramas-having the extra power there is good but yeah u wont need it I dont think

have u seen this thread?

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=284309

he is taking a similar approach as you are after using the big chips

jikko77

@Dion - man thanks for the hard work you've put in this.
I'm picking piece of your guide and making a simil "how to" in italian. thanks a lot!

Koondense

Veteran
The prices seem pretty fair.

If I would be buying a led light in the US, I'm sure these would be my choice.
Instead I rather build my own to save some money.

Dion

Is tgat legit? Might be worth a gamble...

i think it is legit id give it a go if it fits ur garden

caveat: he is using AB bin cxb BUT is under-driving them so they r still very efficient

if u have a 2x2 garden u wont be disappointed i think

its basically a diy style light

please get one and review it for us all =D

the owner is on another forum Pm me if u want his thread details

The prices seem pretty fair.

If I would be buying a led light in the US, I'm sure these would be my choice.
Instead I rather build my own to save some money.

if we were in the USA there are lots of options buddy

and DIY would be even cheaper :)

GDSBurns

i think it is legit id give it a go if it fits ur garden

caveat: he is using AB bin cxb BUT is under-driving them so they r still very efficient

if u have a 2x2 garden u wont be disappointed i think

its basically a diy style light

please get one and review it for us all =D

the owner is on another forum Pm me if u want his thread details

if we were in the USA there are lots of options buddy

and DIY would be even cheaper :)

I honestly would have if i wouldve seen this thread a week ago. I just recieved 4 cree cxb 3590 72v 3500k. All i need to get is my driver and heatsink. And the area is a 2x4. Spent nearly 300 just on cobs.

Dion

I honestly would have if i wouldve seen this thread a week ago. I just recieved 4 cree cxb 3590 72v 3500k. All i need to get is my driver and heatsink. And the area is a 2x4. Spent nearly 300 just on cobs.

wow 4 cxb3590s in a 2x4- u serious :tiphat:
what bin?

what driver u looking at?

GDSBurns

I was thinking of using the C700a meanwell driver. Saw it in RealStyles thread. Dont know much about these honestly just building for an retired old friend. Is that overkill for his tent? I was under the impression that they could be dimmed down.

Dion

I was thinking of using the C700a meanwell driver. Saw it in RealStyles thread. Dont know much about these honestly just building for an retired old friend. Is that overkill for his tent? I was under the impression that they could be dimmed down.

yeah for a 2x2( that will not be expanded) seen as u already have 4 chips assuming CB binn the 700A will be fine but expect to run them on min

:tiphat:

GDSBurns

3 for bloom 1 for veg- if u have 4 and wanna do that

Hmm that sounds nice. Thats prob what we'll do. Is there any other way to put the cobs on the heatsinks without drilling. I dont mind doing that but i dont have all the tools needed and almost positive i wont have a use for them except for make led's and since im moving to another state im probably not gonna be making anymore after these.

Dion

Hmm that sounds nice. Thats prob what we'll do. Is there any other way to put the cobs on the heatsinks without drilling. I dont mind doing that but i dont have all the tools needed and almost positive i wont have a use for them except for make led's and since im moving to another state im probably not gonna be making anymore after these.

what u want is to drill and use self tapping screws

you must have a drill/can borrow one

other options are bad bad bad-I tried to use pads on a build a while back and cooked the cobs- i advise against it at all costs

so-you can get a cheap ebay driver for the single veg cob fyi)under $10)

belivitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by belivitez View Post
Dion whay we cannot discuss about cheap cob chips? I dont have knowledge but im here to listen experience growers like you and some others.

Do you have some experience with chinese cob? What can we expected?

I wonder about this possibility becouse i want to order cree 3590, but minimum order is 5 pcs. I dont want anything over 100w. So i see cheap chinese cobs.... i can order just 1pc.

If you have some sugestions i will be very happy

@Dion
i wrote this up today as i was thinking about a pc growbox- dunno how big/small your garden is

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....08#post7218408

come talk to me in my thread(link below) you sound like your also in the EU?

tell me about ur space and I will help you find the cheap parts

Just copypaste from another topic. Dion i dont have growbox yet. My first plan is to talk about cobs, which chip... i go to max 100w. What is ideal space for that W?

And yes im from EU. :tiphat:

GoeRilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by belivitez View Post
Dion whay we cannot discuss about cheap cob chips? I dont have knowledge but im here to listen experience growers like you and some others.

Do you have some experience with chinese cob? What can we expected?

And yes im from EU. :tiphat:

Well, i´m not Dion but i have made a small experiment with a Chinese 100W cob driven to 50 watts.
It´s glued to the heatsink and mounted with a 60 deg reflector
About 30 cm from the lamp there is 21000 lux and the plants grow nicely with short distance between the nodes.
A cheat way to get started with experimenting,the hole thing costed me about 15$ and some surpluss.

Rilla.

GDSBurns

what u want is to drill and use self tapping screws

you must have a drill/can borrow one

other options are bad bad bad-I tried to use pads on a build a while back and cooked the cobs- i advise against it at all costs

so-you can get a cheap ebay driver for the single veg cob fyi)under $10)

Yes i definitely have a drill. I will grab the self tappijg screw. I bought the ideal cob holders with the cobs so once the heatsink and driver come in I'll throw them on just have to figure out how to wire them and the fan on.

Latest posts

Latest posts