What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

LED and BUD QUALITY

4maggio

I went to LED for heat and safety reasons.. 1 Plant, more than I need. I'm old, most of my hang around partners either don't do it anymore, moved away or are dead.
I won't even guess how much money is laying around in light hoods, bulbs (ALL kinds) along wih corresponding ballasts, cycle timers, and other stuff.. when it becomes legal in Florida I'll have a garage sale.. I always worried about fires from HID mishaps.

Rocket Soul

You cant have the same metabolic rates... the biggest metabolic rates comes from difference between air temp and leaf temp without great amount of IR it cant be done.
I think that perfect setup is LED/HPS mix.
Atm I have blue led spectrum + yellow spectrum + hps will plan to put small CMH/MH between leds for more UV and this will be perfect.
Youll get much more traction with uv leds, ive tried both and its no contest. Cmh is so many watts for so little uv, its no point if this is your purpose.

What you are talking about, difference in air and leaf, is with regards to transpiration and not metabolic rate. Its VPD, not metabolic rate, how the air dries out the plant.Metabolic rate is another issue but i guess its really hard to separate the two, im splitting hairs maybe.

You need the heat for both in leds. But sure ir will help with both :)
Not quite sure of your statement though. Ive seen these heat photos of led grows and and the buds are clearly much hotter than leaves even without IR.

Ive seen your grow and i respect it but if you havent had success with leds yet (many others have) you may have to accept that your conclusions are more valid for your own grow than for everybody.

Its cool that you are mixing lights, that usually works fantastic. I would still encourage you to some day try the option of going full led but with some incandescent for that IR heat. That combination looks much more productive to me, based on what ive seen different exotic diodes do and what hortiscience says. There is some "magic" in hps i feel, a good grower can really over achieve its basic metrics like par/w. But that magic can also be replicated in other ways, its all down to spectrums and intensity.
Hit me up if you ever wanna try stuff, i e tried a lot

4maggio

I'm already running one, have been for the past week or two atleast. Raised up temps a little.i am going to put a 500w heater in the lung cupboard and see how that goes
I just bought this one , $23. 750w-1500w analog, no lights at all mechanical dial for temps.. on or off
at the temp you dial in.. in a 2'x4' tent, it's not on long.

JKD

Veteran
I've read that with LEDs temps should be in the mid 80Fs (LEDs emit no Infrared. To achieve similar metabolic rates found in HID lighting conditions at 78F air temp, LED growers need to run air temps at 84F to 88F.) where did I read this?
Maybe here?

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Youll get much more traction with uv leds, ive tried both and its no contest. Cmh is so many watts for so little uv, its no point if this is your purpose.

What you are talking about, difference in air and leaf, is with regards to transpiration and not metabolic rate. Its VPD, not metabolic rate, how the air dries out the plant.Metabolic rate is another issue but i guess its really hard to separate the two, im splitting hairs maybe.

You need the heat for both in leds. But sure ir will help with both :)
Not quite sure of your statement though. Ive seen these heat photos of led grows and and the buds are clearly much hotter than leaves even without IR.

Ive seen your grow and i respect it but if you havent had success with leds yet (many others have) you may have to accept that your conclusions are more valid for your own grow than for everybody.

Its cool that you are mixing lights, that usually works fantastic. I would still encourage you to some day try the option of going full led but with some incandescent for that IR heat. That combination looks much more productive to me, based on what ive seen different exotic diodes do and what hortiscience says. There is some "magic" in hps i feel, a good grower can really over achieve its basic metrics like par/w. But that magic can also be replicated in other ways, its all down to spectrums and intensity.
Hit me up if you ever wanna try stuff, i e tried a lot
Incandescent wont be in my grow room...🫡
I have succesfull grows with both...but still I prefer HPS...like many people in industry do...