What's new

LED and BUD QUALITY

Rocket Soul

What rocket soul said above. I had these very issues after the switch and following his advice it sorted my girls out.
Higher calmag, slightly higher PH. Getting run off PH and EC in check with what the plant was actually using.
Deficiency can be tricky as symptoms may be because of lock out due to other factors vrs not enough supplementation
Me and Scf have a little history, i helped and guided him a bit on his led conversion and mostly he hit the ground running. Good to see you over here, buddy:) its a lot more fun than riu nowadays.

@ReprobateMind
Yes, led burn. Its hard to fix what has already been burned. Scf answer is good; but id like to add onto it. You likely have to use a bit higher nutes in total. Led plants just drink less in general if you dont play around with the environment (higher temps both for drinking and metabolism, more attention to vpd). If they drink less then the juice must be more concentrated to get the same amount of nutes in total. So you kind of have to strike a balance between pushing climate towards more drinking (which can be complicated) and upping your nute levels; at least a bit more calmag relatively, and likely all a bit higher total EC. But upping nute levels means you have to pay much more attention to salts in your grow medium, check run off everytime. Its so easy to go overboard and be in the land of going between defs and toxicity/lock out. Another thing to pay attention to is if the climate changes towards more transpiry your plant will suddenly drink more of the strong juice and get toxicity. This why i dont rec the organic soil approach to starting out with leds its just so hard to adjust when you cant control all the nutes in the soil.

Or you can go the way of both Ca and Scf and use mixed lighting. Its a very good way. If you dont have space for a full cmh/hps load out you can even try to drop a little incandescent watts for heat and reds. But carefull with wattage as too much and youll get bolting. Look at Grey faders last grow for an example, its a sight worth seeing

Another reason for higher nutes is that with your new led light most people are hoping for improvements, higher intensity and yield should always warrant more nutes. But thats just part of pushing your trow further.

phunkeeboodah

Its a heat thing which youve already figured out. Leds dont have infra red which means less drinking (less nutes absorbed) and slower metabolism (plant cant keep up with the light): both things tend to look the same. You can try to figure this out by VPD and adjusting nute strength upwards (but control the run off EC) during cold season; if the plant drinks 20% slower youd need to adjust nutes 20% upwards. But the best thing would be raising temps a bit, try for +80F once you hit full intensity.
Some tricks: extracting drom the bottom: keeps the heat inside. Or add a little incandescent light to get the IR back. Dont go over board, higher wattage bulbs can stretch out your plants. Or upping the PH to a range were mag is better absorbed.
the temps have been consistently at or over 30c in daytime, i think it must be the drop in humidity with the start of fall

i use organic slow release ferts mixed in or top dressed on the soil old school style. hid plus simple ingredients equals awesome plants every time sort of thing

This is a purple genetic ??
i don't know, the tall plant and the other two that are showing this leaf colour pattern are joti romulan x hot rod freebies and the rest are joti afghani, which seem to not be affected

Rocket Soul

the temps have been consistently at or over 30c in daytime, i think it must be the drop in humidity with the start of fall

i use organic slow release ferts mixed in or top dressed on the soil old school style. hid plus simple ingredients equals awesome plants every time sort of thing

i don't know, the tall plant and the other two that are showing this leaf colour pattern are joti romulan x hot rod freebies and the rest are joti afghani, which seem to not be affected
My guess is the slow release nutes. Id urge to consider good quality coco and hydro nutes; with reliable ec/ph measuring; both into pot and run off. Doing it that way its very hard to not to get a hang of it quickly.

ReprobateMind

Me and Scf have a little history, i helped and guided him a bit on his led conversion and mostly he hit the ground running. Good to see you over here, buddy:) its a lot more fun than riu nowadays.

@ReprobateMind
Yes, led burn. Its hard to fix what has already been burned. Scf answer is good; but id like to add onto it. You likely have to use a bit higher nutes in total. Led plants just drink less in general if you dont play around with the environment (higher temps both for drinking and metabolism, more attention to vpd). If they drink less then the juice must be more concentrated to get the same amount of nutes in total. So you kind of have to strike a balance between pushing climate towards more drinking (which can be complicated) and upping your nute levels; at least a bit more calmag relatively, and likely all a bit higher total EC. But upping nute levels means you have to pay much more attention to salts in your grow medium, check run off everytime. Its so easy to go overboard and be in the land of going between defs and toxicity/lock out. Another thing to pay attention to is if the climate changes towards more transpiry your plant will suddenly drink more of the strong juice and get toxicity. This why i dont rec the organic soil approach to starting out with leds its just so hard to adjust when you cant control all the nutes in the soil.

Or you can go the way of both Ca and Scf and use mixed lighting. Its a very good way. If you dont have space for a full cmh/hps load out you can even try to drop a little incandescent watts for heat and reds. But carefull with wattage as too much and youll get bolting. Look at Grey faders last grow for an example, its a sight worth seeing

Another reason for higher nutes is that with your new led light most people are hoping for improvements, higher intensity and yield should always warrant more nutes. But thats just part of pushing your trow further.
Thanks. I am using a HLG 350r Diablo so it does have some red spectrum. The canopy is two feet from the light. I'm guessing 60% intensity is too much because that's what I slowly set the dimmer to over six weeks. I'll drop it down to 55 or 50% and see what happens. Can I use Calmag+ from Botanicare in organic soilless medium or will it ruin the microbes?

Ca++

Really good to finally see your setup, Ca, dope shit :)
But what do you mean '4s'?
Bit ropey though tbh, hay. All a bit miniature, you might say. Full, but weak. There are 16 in there, which had been grown in a 110x65. I was really slacking for a year or so. Doing more procrastinating than growing. I ended up with plants before system. This is them moving into the 1.4 as it's built.
20230311_202830.jpg
Later I moved from 16 to 8 (rather than 9) This is a pic from the interlighting thread, where I posted a fair few progress pics of the interlightings effect.
20231126_160540.jpg
Now I'm down to 4 plants. I have not used such spacing since I grew individual plants in dirt.
25lfd.jpg
They are 25L pots, but again it's slung together, and so the control bucket from a 9L pot system, isn't flooding them very high. I may fix that after this first run. What I really wanted from this, is access to get under them all. For me and equipment. Ropey plants went in again, but it's full now, and looking right enough.

I'm actually quite excited about my tank. I have made myself do an hour each day, as of about 2 weeks ago. Once I'm working though, It's never just an hour. It has it's own cupboard, and is heading toward full automation with internet control. I will get some pics.. I do drop a few when it seems appropriate.

Edit: 4s and 6s are lamp sizes. It might be a local thing. a 4 is a 400

Rocket Soul

Thanks. I am using a HLG 350r Diablo so it does have some red spectrum. The canopy is two feet from the light. I'm guessing 60% intensity is too much because that's what I slowly set the dimmer to over six weeks. I'll drop it down to 55 or 50% and see what happens. Can I use Calmag+ from Botanicare in organic soilless medium or will it ruin the microbes?
Thats one solution, the most available at the moment. But 60% is about 100w per board, at 24": if my memory dont fail me this is the reced hanging height at 100% giving light levels around 800-900ppfd in a 1m2 tent. That would mean youre getting light burn without pushing your grow hard at all, maybe around 600ppfd. I cant guarantee you since the par map seems to have disappeared from HLG web, but this is what i seem to remember.

I urge you to try out some of the advice in a orderly fashion in your next grows; youve got a hell of a light but only using it at just over half capacity. The best place to start is with vpd and dialing in environment. The whole point of having a great light is to put it to use, and to enjoy better results. Its a very nice feeling to really master your grow and keep on pushing the boundry:)

Rocket Soul

I was looking at a Sanlight Evo but any recommendations are more than welcome. The growshop where I go has plenty of options, Gavita etc. Thinking of this one for the 152x152x225 sativa tent. Costs around 600€ with the dimmer etc but I've heard only good about these.
View attachment 19077661
Ive not tried them but all users seem happy with them. Though you wont flower that hole space well, you need two of those to do a 5x5/150 tent.
Im not in completely in love with the spectrum but im a bit of a nitpicker with diy experience so i have the luxury of being able to choose exactly what i want and like. Im sure youll be happy with it though. Most of the peeps at the icmag i spoke to where very happy with it.

Rocket Soul

GROWCAST voucher code for 20% off HLG us site. They usually run something like this twice a year, croptober and 4:20. Hope it helps someone :)

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yours always look super healthy. Im finally about to go all led for one flowering tent so I can dial in everything and get used to it. Veg has been all led for years now but flowering has been all hps and cmh.
I was using CMH/LED for flower but PGE costs are ridiculous here in Cali. I turned the CMH off. PGE made it SUPER expensive to grow our own here..

Scfarmer

My guess is the slow release nutes. Id urge to consider good quality coco and hydro nutes; with reliable ec/ph measuring; both into pot and run off. Doing it that way its very hard to not to get a hang of it quickly.
After switching from synthetic hydro nutes to organic my EC meter isn't reading the same when I compare the recommended concentrations. Do you think should be sticking to EC readouts when mixing the concentration?

Latest posts

Latest posts