What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

LED and BUD QUALITY

led05

Chasing The Present
You're growing a lot of sativas do you prefer a certain type of light to grow them? Do haze hybrids need a different set-up than hybrids and indicas ?
I ask because those plants grow in very different part of the world where the light is not the same so trying to replicate their native light is maybe helpful to a have successful grow.
For anything I grow (all species) I always project myself to the best of my ability & understanding of native habitats and try & recreate all the things I can, within reason both inside & out….

light, daylength, humidity, temps, moisture, UV’s, minerals, container size etc…

IME inside most everything wants more “light” as long as you don’t bottleneck any of the other primary inputs, I.e - all the light in the world ain’t gonna grow shit if transpiration is shut down within a plant

Two primary things I’ve learned in a couple decades on grow forums:

1) people love to overcomplicate the simple

2) people get hedged to their tech/processes and are willing to die on that sword, indefinitely

Much love

Last edited:

I Care

I do have a cheap LED already it’s definitely grows great buds. These dines were actually intended in their originality to be a decorative lighting for someone apartment but they turned out to be too bulky. I like the idea of giving them some paint on the outside.

Its the directional nature of these domes that has me wanting to make something high Efficiency LED grow related with them. The dome will keep the light from stabbing me in the eyes.

Reality is, I need improved economy in 24h veg and 3 5000lumen 50watt flood lights I bought are not very efficient. I guess the right move is to trial a couple of those LED filament bulbs over the veg table and see how well they do. 80w for 16000lm daylight spectrum instead of 150w for 15000lm makes sense. Aim to get this off the ground by the end of august. All I’m missing right are a couple bulbs, wall plugs and suspension.

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
Once again you're dead wrong studies show an increase in terpenes with LED, from a quick search up to 35%. My best runs are in winter even with LED, summer where I live is not the easiest place to grow buds.Same plant winter grow but around 60 days here View attachment 19040087
I dont need quick search cuz I was runing same cultivars under different ligts...

1000013101.jpg

CMH
1000013102.jpg

LED

So maybe you have different expirience then me and GWE.
Led buds here were grown in 20-24C just as you said.
And they have lower terps just like all cuts I grew under leds...way much terps than HID grown.
I grew under LED only now I change back to HPS just like all growers.
Even GHS in their indoor setup in thailand are growing under HIDs again.
And many more big producers are trowing leds in trash.

Anyway maybe you doing something which no one other did so you have way better results with LEDs.

led05

Chasing The Present
Few Sativa Dom under LED I designed & built, DE HPS & Pure UVB Fluro bulbs - LED wake plants up, everything on mid day blasting, last hour HPS puts em to bed - I never go under 11/13 no matter how pure a Sativa, we can manipulate time inside based on spectrum; no reason to ever dip below 11 on once you understand this.

IMG_0666.jpeg

IMG_0645.jpeg

IMG_0636.jpeg

IMG_0634.jpeg

IMG_0684.jpeg

Genetics are my creations/work via gifts accumulated from many over the years - 5-6’ tall indoor plants each yielding 12-16ozs of flower with very very little leaf & stem

Peace y’all

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Veteran
we can manipulate time inside based on spectrum; no reason to ever dip below 11 on once you understand this.
Please teach us. The hps should cover that far red spectrum imo
Did u try the 730nm leds also? Info on icmag is sparse but there. Some report a reduction in flower time others get no effect.
Not sure if the "only 730nm as last light" is a must for that but your experience contradicts this.

led05

Chasing The Present
An example scenario with cheap hardware store timers 11/13 schedule end of flower

LED - 7am-5pm
UVB - 11am-3pm
HPS - 9am-6pm

Obviously this can be much more complicated but gives a general idea, HPS mimics a setting sun quite well, just think about it…

Fwiw you can flower photoperiods under 24hrs light if you understand phytochrome but it’s silly to do so imo but something we were doing nearly two decades ago with early LED, colored CFL’s & colored Incandescents, LED have come a very very long ways in 2 decades, though seem to be plateaued out here now at current efficiencies imo/e

PS: a red nighttime reptile light is an cheap & exceptional source of FR & IR & nothing else due it’s coating

PPS: the moon reflects a lot of FR, much more so proportional to other spectrums - it’s in part why outside time is “faster” than indoors, a long time ago we came up with a factor of 1.2/1 out v indoor but that’s much more complicated a discussion and I’ve gotta run to harvest some more spuds here…

Happy farmin y’all - never stop growing while you grow ;)

Rocket Soul

Nice! - Amazing You got a high powered light for @.25 cents a watt; can you link it?

How has longevity been? Power Supplies still holding up? Have you looked at internal components to see what’s within?
Not sure but it might be here:

May have been an occasional discount though

driver77

Nice! - Amazing You got a high powered light for @.25 cents a watt; can you link it?

How has longevity been? Power Supplies still holding up? Have you looked at internal components to see what’s within?
Rocket soul has the right link to the thread on it.
As far as I know everyone that got one is still working fine.
We never did quite figure out what diodes they are.....but they veg great. I added some more red and uva to mine for flowering.
They sold out quick once the word spread...haven't seen them since.

I Care

good photo of LED quality. i abused the temp a little leaving inside of a locked vehicle and it darkened up a lot because of the moisture content, storing at that exact point where it burns in a pipe and in a paper is a definitely a risk. still moist and sticky with dark amber the most current smoke
IMG_0750.jpeg

this was the first fresh puff test before the finish
IMG_0515.jpeg

kro-magnon

Veteran
Thanks to LED growing during summer is not such a headache anymore, the plants still stress when there is a heat wave like those last days but in normal conditions the grow room is around 24/28°c night and day, I run the light during the night when electricity is cheaper and it helps a lot to have a more even climate. Here are 2 of my Sowahh flowering right now day 48 under the Lumatek 465w who replace a 600w HPS, less watts for bigger harvest of better buds, who would not want that?
IMG_0420.JPG

Prs2xs

the electrician who showed me this trick said to use two different circuits running on separate breakers, thank you for helping me remember, it's been a while.

we were just starting to build out a large room and only had 120v circuits and we needed to test 240v equipment.

he also said that there was no way it would pass an electrical inspection. something about it being unsafe.
You would have to make sure that the 2 separate breakers are each on a different 120v leg. Using 2 breakers like this is not good, as each breaker has the ability to trip leaving one leg hot and one leg off.
If you don't use 2 different legs, all you get is 120v and your light won't work.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
With higher amount of IR plants can touch the led board...this led "light burn" is more caused by inpropriate light spectrum than it is with powerfull lights levels.

Leds are good for veg and thats all....I have to say that I never had that speed of veg growth since I moved led from flower to veg.

When plant dont have IR its like its is blind.

Phytochrome System: Phytochromes can detect the ratio between red light (around 660 nm) and far-red light (around 730 nm), which is near the infrared spectrum. This ratio changes depending on whether the plant is in the shade of other plants (where there is more far-red light) or in open light (where there is more red light).Growth and Shading: Through the phytochrome system, plants can detect the presence of other plants nearby and respond to shading. For example, when a plant detects an increase in far-red light, it may indicate that it is shaded by other plants, triggering stem elongation to reach better-lit areas.Photomorphogenesis and Adaptation: This detection and response to different parts of the light spectrum help plants adjust their growth processes and survival strategies, such as changing the shape, size, and arrangement of leaves to maximize light use efficiency.Environmental Assessment: Infrared light, along with other parts of the spectrum, allows plants to assess their environment and make necessary adjustments in growth and development to optimize resource utilization.Conclusion: Infrared radiation indeed serves as an orienting signal for plants, enabling them to evaluate their surroundings and adjust their growth and development strategies to optimize the use of available resources. This capacity is crucial for their survival and efficiency in various environmental conditions.

Make yourself a favour and use HPS in flower.
I dont know how you still cruise this thread to just hate on Leds on repeat. After all youve seen here, every post that had beautiful flowers with leds. You still say “leds are only good for veg”. You really stick to your guns man, even with proof in your face, its pretty amazing.

Rocket Soul

I dont know how you still cruise this thread to just hate on Leds on repeat. After all youve seen here, every post that had beautiful flowers with leds. You still say “leds are only good for veg”. You really stick to your guns man, even with proof in your face, its pretty amazing.
Wow, i missed that post. Its really funny to see someone arguing for HPS/HiD with shade avoidance syndrome as an argument; the effects of SAS is excessive stretch, lower yield, lower thc and terps, fluffier buds and light sensitivity; none which are desired in any way.
Apart from that the poster doesnt seem to realize that far red and infra red is not the same; just cause some (rather shitty) light manufacturers market far red as IR doesnt make it true. Real IR can be applied at night without breaking the dark cycle, try adding far red at night and you will mess up your whole grow.

Last edited:

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
Where are the many studies saying LED produce less terpenes? This is not a study it's bro sciencehttps://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8200639/
This is a medical paper saying LED increase THC, terpenes and flavonoids.
Another study highlighted in "Cannabis and Cannabinoid Research" indicated that while LEDs can produce high-quality cannabis with desirable cannabinoid profiles, the terpene content can be different compared to plants grown under HIDs.

Magagnini, G., Grassi, G., & Kotiranta, S. (2018). The Effect of Light Spectrum on the Morphology and Cannabinoid Content of Cannabis sativa L. "Frontiers in Plant Science", 9, 987.Backer, R., Schwinghamer, T., Rosenbaum, P., & Young, S. (2019). Impact of Light Intensity and Wavelength on the Growth and Cannabinoid and Terpene Content of Cannabis sativa. "Cannabis and Cannabinoid Research", 4(1), 36-44.These findings suggest that while HID lights might produce cannabis with a stronger aroma due to higher terpene levels, LEDs can still be optimized for desirable terpene profiles by adjusting the light spectrum and environmental conditions.

Hawley et al. (2018) - "Effects of Light Spectrum on Cannabis terpenes and Cannabinoids":Study Focus: This study directly compared the terpene profiles of cannabis grown under LED and HPS lights in a controlled environment.Findings: The research indicated that different light spectra affected the terpene profiles, with HPS-grown cannabis showing higher concentrations of certain terpenes compared to LED-grown plants.Reference: Hawley, D., Graham, T., Stasiak, M., & Dixon, M. (2018). Effects of Light Spectrum on Cannabis terpenes and Cannabinoids. "Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science", 143(3), 261-272.

Magagnini et al. (2018) - "The Effect of Light Spectrum on the Morphology and Cannabinoid Content of Cannabis sativa L.":Study Focus: This study explored the impact of different light spectra, including LED and HPS, on the morphology and cannabinoid content of cannabis. It also measured terpenes as part of the overall profile.Findings: The researchers found that light spectra significantly influenced both cannabinoid and terpene profiles. While specific terpenes varied, HPS lighting generally resulted in higher concentrations of certain terpenes.Reference: Magagnini, G., Grassi, G., & Kotiranta, S. (2018). The Effect of Light Spectrum on the Morphology and Cannabinoid Content of Cannabis sativa L. "Frontiers in Plant Science", 9, 987.

Summarized InsightsTerpene Concentration: Generally, studies find that HPS lighting can lead to higher terpene concentrations due to increased plant stress from higher heat and light intensity.Specific Terpenes: The impact on specific terpenes can vary, with some studies noting higher levels of myrcene, limonene, and pinene in HPS-grown plants.Environmental Control: It's crucial that these studies maintain consistent environmental conditions (temperature, humidity, CO2 levels, etc.) to ensure that observed differences in terpene profiles are due to lighting type alone.These references should provide a solid foundation for understanding how different lighting types can impact terpene production in cannabis.

Latest posts

Latest posts