What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

LED and BUD QUALITY

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
I dont know how you still cruise this thread to just hate on Leds on repeat. After all youve seen here, every post that had beautiful flowers with leds. You still say “leds are only good for veg”. You really stick to your guns man, even with proof in your face, its pretty amazing.
Im not hating on Led's I want head stash and not cash crop...thats it.

kro-magnon

Veteran
The study you show is from 2018, the LED on the market since 2020 are much better than what was available then, that's the conclusion of the first paragraphe, LED have been optimized and now do better than HPS.

CannaT

The study you show is from 2018, the LED on the market since 2020 are much better than what was available then, that's the conclusion of the first paragraphe, LED have been optimized and now do better than HPS.
Still I waiting for that one Led board...give me the name of it I will try to grow under it and will honestly say my words when Im done.

CannaT

Wow, i missed that post. Its really funny to see someone arguing for HPS/HiD with shade avoidance syndrome as an argument; the effects of SAS is excessive stretch, lower yield, lower thc and terps, fluffier buds and light sensitivity; none which are desired in any way.
Apart from that the poster doesnt seem to realize that far red and infra red is not the same; just cause some (rather shitty) light manufacturers market far red as IR doesnt make it true. Real IR can be applied at night without breaking the dark cycle, try adding far red at night and you will mess up your whole grow.
1000013399.jpg

Hps "wider Par" not standard Par 400-700

CannaT

You're the only one who have this result today, your method of growing had to change with the light.
No its simply math...math can lie...its pure fact.
1000013399.jpg

Hps spectrum lot of IR
1000013403.jpg

So as you can see hps have much more Photossynthesis rate than led boards...

Increased photosynthesis in cannabis plants leads to several beneficial outcomes:Enhanced Growth and BiomassIncreased Size and Weight: More photosynthesis means more glucose and energy for growth, resulting in larger plants with greater biomass.
Higher YieldsMore Buds: Increased photosynthesis leads to higher production of flowers and buds, which is critical for yield in cannabis cultivation.
Improved Health and ResistanceDisease and Pest Resistance: Healthier plants with abundant energy can better resist diseases and pests.
Enhanced Cannabinoid and Terpene ProductionHigher Potency and Aromatic Profiles: More energy allows for greater production of cannabinoids (like THC and CBD) and terpenes, improving the quality and potency of the cannabis.
Efficient Resource UseOptimal Use of Nutrients and Water: Increased photosynthesis ensures that plants efficiently use available nutrients and water, supporting robust growth.
Balanced GrowthStress Tolerance: While excessive light or other factors can cause stress, balanced and optimal photosynthesis helps plants maintain overall health and stress tolerance.
LimitationsEnvironmental Balance: It's important to balance light intensity, CO₂ concentration, water, and temperature to prevent issues like photoinhibition or nutrient deficiencies.Reference: National Geographic.In summary, optimizing photosynthesis in cannabis leads to better growth, higher yields, improved health, and enhanced cannabinoid and terpene profiles, provided that environmental conditions are well-managed.

Rocket Soul

Anyway does someone tried Dimlux xtreme series 1000w ?
Nope, but you can have a look at this paper and judge for yourself re the desirability of that spectrum: https://www.frontiersin.org/journals/plant-science/articles/10.3389/fpls.2024.1393803/full

Personally i would not pay the price theyre asking for it, its not going to change the dial on quality very much in comparison to most other leds on the market.

If you want to discuss this in good faith i suggest you post links or full studies instead of just blurbs with counter factual info:
- nowhere do you find anyone saying that increased heat increase terps. Nowhere. If you have a study showing this then post a complete study, not just the header.
- quoting the emmerson effect is a red herring, its only really noticeable in low light intensity, 150ppfd or less. And id also add that 700 is not relevant nr, the strongest effects was noted by emmerson to be between 680 and 730, something ive implemented in my lighting. Not cause i was expecting the emmerson effect in high flower, it was to broaden my spectrum and for any genetic traits tied to emmerson effect. And yes, it did have an effect on the terp quality, increasing that part of the smell id best caracterize as "volatiles".

Sorry, but but quoting the emmerson effect in support of HPS is a lazy argument with poor understanding of the science behind it.

Last edited:

CannaT

It's useless to speak with you, you have proven wrong multiple times but you repeat in a loop HPS do better,that's insanity at this level. You'll go on ignore that's too pathetic to exchange with you.
"Overall when both are grown in perfect setup with leds you get more yild and less terps. And vice versa with HPS less yild and more terps."

My world is not black & white as yours.
Thats the point we are agruing here...
1000013398.jpg

Still dont know why you cut your leafs...to prove me you got perfect plant from leds ??

Rocket Soul

Still I waiting for that one Led board...give me the name of it I will try to grow under it and will honestly say my words when Im done.
How about my boards? While youre arguing why its best for everything to just stay the same some of us have built our own in order to maximize both yield and quality. Again, you seem too lazy to try, both in arguments and actual lighting

Thread 'DIY led growlights - Builds and Results' https://www.icmag.com/threads/diy-led-growlights-builds-and-results.18131610/

Rocket Soul

No its simply math...math can lie...its pure fact.
View attachment 19042475
Hps spectrum lot of IR
View attachment 19042481
So as you can see hps have much more Photossynthesis rate than led boards...

Increased photosynthesis in cannabis plants leads to several beneficial outcomes:Enhanced Growth and BiomassIncreased Size and Weight: More photosynthesis means more glucose and energy for growth, resulting in larger plants with greater biomass.
Higher YieldsMore Buds: Increased photosynthesis leads to higher production of flowers and buds, which is critical for yield in cannabis cultivation.
Improved Health and ResistanceDisease and Pest Resistance: Healthier plants with abundant energy can better resist diseases and pests.
Enhanced Cannabinoid and Terpene ProductionHigher Potency and Aromatic Profiles: More energy allows for greater production of cannabinoids (like THC and CBD) and terpenes, improving the quality and potency of the cannabis.
Efficient Resource UseOptimal Use of Nutrients and Water: Increased photosynthesis ensures that plants efficiently use available nutrients and water, supporting robust growth.
Balanced GrowthStress Tolerance: While excessive light or other factors can cause stress, balanced and optimal photosynthesis helps plants maintain overall health and stress tolerance.
LimitationsEnvironmental Balance: It's important to balance light intensity, CO₂ concentration, water, and temperature to prevent issues like photoinhibition or nutrient deficiencies.Reference: National Geographic.In summary, optimizing photosynthesis in cannabis leads to better growth, higher yields, improved health, and enhanced cannabinoid and terpene profiles, provided that environmental conditions are well-managed.
This is something i can kinda agree with, expanding the spectrum in the right way can increase quality, especially if youre able to control the spectrum and get it to mimmick sunlight during the day: UV going from low to a high midday peak.
But again you showed nothing why this would come from IR. And apart from that id recommend looking to more than just the leds, you can get all the IR you want by just designing your heatsink to throw the heat on the crop instead of above. All you need is a sheet of aluminum.

Rocket Soul

@Rocket Soul You're loosing your time with hime, I stopped counting how many times he was proven wrong but he can't compute he's wrong. You'll get tired to try to make him understand before long.
Its not as much trying to convince someone as meeting arguments and making sure that whoever reads this years from now actually get a clear picture. Some people see one person going against the grain and their contrarian nature makes them believe whatever opposite everybody is arguing, that that one guy going up against everyone is the one with the truth.
Its also trying to set a standard of how we discuss things and not being lazy in research or arguments.
HPS is not completely without merit, smoked some great and slightly different smelling gear grown by hps. The problem is when we go led vrs hps instead of trying to figure out what part of hps lighting actually made it to the favorite growlight of litterally everybody before, and how to implement this in a led fixture. I have seen myself how adding light outside of those standard 450/660 led peaks changed the way our bud smelled and smoked and i was very happy with it.
@Crooked8 id wager anything that you could still squeeze out better smelling bud and better high with a more optimized spectrum. Not doubting your grow though, just think that your obvious great results are more down to you and your growgame, along with genetics and a very good setup in general. The agro bar have a reduced green content which i really like but nor reds nor blue/violets/uv is optimized for higher terps and quality.

Ca++

This is something i can kinda agree with, expanding the spectrum in the right way can increase quality, especially if youre able to control the spectrum and get it to mimmick sunlight during the day: UV going from low to a high midday peak.
But again you showed nothing why this would come from IR. And apart from that id recommend looking to more than just the leds, you can get all the IR you want by just designing your heatsink to throw the heat on the crop instead of above. All you need is a sheet of aluminum.
That kind of heat radiation seems useful for driving more natural transpiration. However, it's nowhere near glowing, and as such, not 730 or even 850. 1000nm perhaps (I'm just guessing) but not very close to the accepted PAR range. Though I don't think that is what HID lights are all about.

I notice the Emerson effect was just spoke about. It's not been proven for cannabis. Findings suggest the far red did indeed add to plant growth, when accompanying deep red. However, the magical gain wasn't seen. Or any other gain, or reason to add any. Leaving them a niche item.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Its not as much trying to convince someone as meeting arguments and making sure that whoever reads this years from now actually get a clear picture. Some people see one person going against the grain and their contrarian nature makes them believe whatever opposite everybody is arguing, that that one guy going up against everyone is the one with the truth.
Its also trying to set a standard of how we discuss things and not being lazy in research or arguments.
HPS is not completely without merit, smoked some great and slightly different smelling gear grown by hps. The problem is when we go led vrs hps instead of trying to figure out what part of hps lighting actually made it to the favorite growlight of litterally everybody before, and how to implement this in a led fixture. I have seen myself how adding light outside of those standard 450/660 led peaks changed the way our bud smelled and smoked and i was very happy with it.
@Crooked8 id wager anything that you could still squeeze out better smelling bud and better high with a more optimized spectrum. Not doubting your grow though, just think that your obvious great results are more down to you and your growgame, along with genetics and a very good setup in general. The agro bar have a reduced green content which i really like but nor reds nor blue/violets/uv is optimized for higher terps and quality.
Agrobar has the most blue of the lights ive used which is why i seem to get better morphology out of them. As for UV, is the jury not still out on that regarding terps? I know in bugbees trials with UV there was no correlation with any cannabinoid content increase in any UV spectrum. Im not saying i couldnt benefit, maybe i could. But having used HPS and CMH for decades you couldnt pay me to go back. Strains ive had for 14 years are showing better in literally every department under agrobars specifically. I tried several other led brands with some great and some not so great results. However, as we all know we are all always learning and I have way more experience with Leds now than ever. I still have a hand in a smaller grow that a friend runs with half cmh 315s and half leds. I see the results from both consistently. Leds there are also always showing higher quality and denser product with better stacking. And he runs Boulderlamp Leds not Agrobar, still way better terps/ice/morphology.

Latest posts

Latest posts