What's new

LED and BUD QUALITY

Rastafarout

Premium user
It's because I've taken those tests that I know cultural knowledge and physiology (including phenomenal short and long-term memory in the case of the Australian Aboriginal) will help you survive in the Australian desert where high IQ alone will not. If high IQ offered an evolutionary advantage to surviving in the Australian desert, then it would be reflected in standard IQ tests of Australian Aboriginals.

Which is the point I was making. IQ is not the be-all, end-all in terms of evolution.

If your point is that Intelligence Quotient – as defined by standard tests – transcends race, then you are correct. Which is why I didn't use the term IQ; I merely said "Our physical traits, including how we measure intelligence, are a product of our environment."

Some interesting reading on the subject here: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0191886909003882#:~:text=Galton estimated the intelligence of,proposed by Lynn (2006).
That’s apples and oranges though … now take a hi IQ an aborigine and vs a low IQ one … it would be exactly same for Europeans too ..

Hiddenjems

It's because I've taken those tests that I know cultural knowledge and physiology (including phenomenal short and long-term memory in the case of the Australian Aboriginal) will help you survive in the Australian desert where high IQ alone will not. If high IQ offered an evolutionary advantage to surviving in the Australian desert, then it would be reflected in standard IQ tests of Australian Aboriginals.

Which is the point I was making. IQ is not the be-all, end-all in terms of evolution.

If your point is that Intelligence Quotient – as defined by standard tests – transcends race, then you are correct. Which is why I didn't use the term IQ; I merely said "Our physical traits, including how we measure intelligence, are a product of our environment."

Some interesting reading on the subject here: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0191886909003882#:~:text=Galton estimated the intelligence of,proposed by Lynn (2006).
Iq is the ability to learn. A high iq person will adapt to new surroundings faster.

A smart person could adapt to aboriginal ways. Can that native adapt to living in New York and get a job?

I Care

I feel like I’m straight up kicking myself in the nuts using an LED.
Hopefully things will get better, there’s always the sun as an option.

I think everyone that was going to convert to LED has. That was a lot of sales volume, but is now done. All them good time boom companies are now on the brink, and need to sell us something new. Even the true horticultural brands have sold enough to make pricing competitive for home use. LEDs can now be found second hand. It's a saturated market.

Today it's add on bars, and fancy wifi controllers they want us to buy. So you can do that 2 hours, but not with a timer. Oh no. You need the app. This spectrum chasing promise is alluring, but look how many people stick with HPS. A spectrum LED lights have not tried to sell us. Not long ago, plants couldn't see green, and it bounced off. Then green had the best penetration. I think if your light works, use it. Let the experts chase their tales, unless something happens. This spectrum chasing takes decades to produce results, which will be instantly shared. Until then, buy what we understand. Which is really what it's always been. Cooler light for veg and warmer light for flower. Or just buy one light, and be done with it. The answer to a decent grow, isn't a bit of electronics you just buy.

Edited to say isn't as I typo'd it's (making a totally contrairy comment)

I found out that with HPS and led mixed up there is no "to much" light from leds I can put buds at 5cm from led board nothing will be burned or bleached on plant.
Its bad light spectrum from leds and plant dont know to behave properly under it.

Thatd just my speculation based on few previous runs I got under HPS/led mixed up.

Im kinda bent out of shape selling my HPS 600-1100 and needed to improve space efficiency. I could have spent half on a 150hps and bought a continuous exhaust system with the savings.

We’ll see how I’m feeling in 6-7 weeks. The plans def dont grow the same under LED to but the buds look normal to me so far. I see what @CharlesU Farley has for results and it give me hope. Those are some chunky sticky looking nuggets. Looks like quality puffage.

Prawn Connery

Licence To Krill
Vendor
Veteran
Iq is the ability to learn. A high iq person will adapt to new surroundings faster.
A smart person can't change their physiology.

They can't change their skin colour. They can't grow longer, lighter legs. They can't change the rate at which they sweat. They can't change their body's thermal management of blood flow during extreme cold and heat. They can't change the rate at which their blood coagulates. They can't change the impact-resistance of their skulls. They can't change the visual acuity of their eyes.

These are just some of the evolutionary adaptions of Australian Aborigines that Europeans don't possess.

How many generations of high IQ people would it take to reach the same level of physiological adaption to the Australian desert do you think?

A smart person could adapt to aboriginal ways. Can that native adapt to living in New York and get a job?
He or she would find it more difficult. But it would not be as immediately life-threatening as dropping a smart New Yorker in the middle of the desert. In each case, they would both need the assistance of locals to survive.

But I think you're kind of missing the point. Some of the smartest people in the world are simple labourers struggling to make ends meet.

What is intelligence without drive and ambition?

How does intelligence help those with mental illness?

There is more to surviving in this world than being smart. Maybe it helps win arguments on the internet . . .

Prawn Connery

Licence To Krill
Vendor
Veteran
Better question is why would he want to... :biggrin:
It's an excellent question. I have spent time in remote Aboriginal communities and I believe it is as difficult for them to adapt to our world as it is for us to adapt to theirs. Their values are very different to ours. That is one thing most white Australians do not understand. It is probably the same of many indigenous peoples around the world.

Prawn Connery

Licence To Krill
Vendor
Veteran
That’s apples and oranges though … now take a hi IQ an aborigine and vs a low IQ one … it would be exactly same for Europeans too ..
No it's not. My point all along is that IQ has been a more important evolutionary advantage in some environments than others. Think about it: if all that was required to overcome all environmental adversity was the ability to think your way out of it, then all civilisations would have evolved the same. But they didn't. They each have physiological features adapted to their environments that have nothing to do with IQ.

Hiddenjems

A smart person can't change their physiology.

They can't change their skin colour. They can't grow longer, lighter legs. They can't change the rate at which they sweat. They can't change their body's thermal management of blood flow during extreme cold and heat. They can't change the rate at which their blood coagulates. They can't change the impact-resistance of their skulls. They can't change the visual acuity of their eyes.

These are just some of the evolutionary adaptions of Australian Aborigines that Europeans don't possess.

How many generations of high IQ people would it take to reach the same level of physiological adaption to the Australian desert do you think?

He or she would find it more difficult. But it would not be as immediately life-threatening as dropping a smart New Yorker in the middle of the desert. In each case, they would both need the assistance of locals to survive.

But I think you're kind of missing the point. Some of the smartest people in the world are simple labourers struggling to make ends meet.

What is intelligence without drive and ambition?

How does intelligence help those with mental illness?

There is more to surviving in this world than being smart. Maybe it helps win arguments on the internet . . .
A smart person can use clothes and shelter to stay out of the sun.

Iq measures something real. There is no bigger indicator of success than Iq score. A minority in America from a broken home with a 130 Iq, will do better than a white guy at 100.

Ca++

It's an excellent question. I have spent time in remote Aboriginal communities and I believe it is as difficult for them to adapt to our world as it is for us to adapt to theirs. Their values are very different to ours. That is one thing most white Australians do not understand. It is probably the same of many indigenous peoples around the world.
It's amazing how different they are (mostly in their physical attributes) with such a time in isolation. I presume they dropped down from China via Indonesia to get there. With both races diverging enough to be so distinctly different, it's near unimaginable.
The rate of change is high though. Some monkeys have gone from using rocks, to eyeing your Dewalt, in just a few generations. No monkey! I say. You can start at the dollar store like everyone else.

The 320QB looks like a usable tool. It's energy dense so hangs like a HID, and I guess near lights a meter. So you can think of it in such units. A good LED introduction, to force upon one's luddite friends, one summer.

Drop That Sound

So can I just drop this bitch straight down on the buds like I would an HPS? Just wherever the temp is 82 or below and let it hang?!
Yeah, but make sure its on a light rail that moves back & forth. Crank it up to full blast ;) Its almost like having 2 LED fixtures that are dimmed to 50%. Keep the electric hedge trimmers around so you can keep the canopy flat as possible before the buds start to form. Ahh yeah!

Dequilo

Plant Abuser
ICMag Donor
Veteran
420club
@I Care I feel your pain I went thru this last spring :( almost ran outside at the

first sign of spring I was dyeing with my LEDs going from 5500 watts of HIDs

to 1900 watts of LEDs

wanted to sell them for .50 cents a watt to get them gone, after starting back up this spring

I took the time and did some reading about LEDs

I was running my room too cold 78F with HIDs is great with LEDs no good the leaves were too cold

I was using them like they were Florescence lights and they are not

after getting room temp up to 82 - 83 f an after getting a good light meter for LEDs ,getting my

PPFD dialed in

things got better :) now I am flowering 14 Autos so I will see first time flowering under LEDs

all the best and grow well

Dequilo

Prawn Connery

Licence To Krill
Vendor
Veteran
A smart person can use clothes and shelter to stay out of the sun.
This thread is going off on a tangent, but I think you're putting the cart before the horse.

Where do all these clothes and shelter come from if there are no trees? How do you find water? How do you make fire? Can you eat raw meat? Can you live on insects?

Australian aborigines didn't have much in the way of clothes nor permanent shelter. How did they survive for 70,000 years without these?

You can argue with me or you can argue with Mother Nature: if IQ was key to living in the desert, then that's how the people living there would have evolved.

If you read up on the subject, you will find the reason Europeans and East Asians have higher IQs is attributed to them evolving in colder environments. However, they still have different physiologies due to the different climates. Europe is cold, Asia is windy; Europe has mild-dry summers, Asia has hot-humid summers. Etc

Where IQ is needed to survive, IQ evolves. Where other physical traits provide an advantage, they evolve.

They say cockroaches will still be around after a nuclear war when we are long gone. They may not be as smart as us, but they are more resistant to radiation. You can build that nuclear fall-out shelter, but you have to emerge some time . . .

Iq measures something real. There is no bigger indicator of success than Iq score. A minority in America from a broken home with a 130 Iq, will do better than a white guy at 100.
There are so many exceptions to this case that I'm not sure how you can make such a statement and expect people to agree with you.

Perhaps you've watched one too many screenings of Good Will Hunting.

Go check out the Mensa website and you'll see there are plenty of members who aren't that successful. Perhaps it depends on your definition of "success". Let me know how long it takes for the page to load. They're so smart, they have trouble building a functional website . . .

mensa.org

Prawn Connery

Licence To Krill
Vendor
Veteran
“These are just some of the evolutionary adaptions of Australian Aborigines that Europeans don't possess”
Apples and oranges again
Now you’re saying we all think alike ?

Anyway this isn’t an anthropological thread Was just pointing out you need to keep the parameters the same
No. I'm saying specific genotypes evolved from different environments. Race is a parameter.

Latest posts

Latest posts