What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

It's the Climate, stupid

Hempy McNoodle

Last night at dinner I was talking to a well known cannabis seed supplier sometimes known as a kind of duck who noted that the seasons where he lives have changed also. That growers in his part of my state have to plant early to avoid the plant destroying rain. Where I live the rain arrived in quantity at the time plants usually ripen and are dried.
How does planting early help to avoid rain at harvest time? Just curious...

Hempy McNoodle

Like yourself I have lived experience of climate change in the following way: the animals I used to see and hear in the bush around me are no longer present. And at a broader level the road kill we used to see any time we travelled is not there any more.
Here^ @Microbeman, when the VenerableHippie shared his "lived experience of climate change," I can only assume that they meant CO2 based popular greenhouse gas theory or that they were (to my point) conflating declining wildlife populations (loss of biodiversity) with popular climate change theory. I did not assume, for instance, that VenerableHippie was blaming "Jewish space lazers."

Perhaps VenerableHippie himself would care to explain how climate has made the roadkill population less dense... :biglaugh:

Wuz it the See Oh Too?

Hempy McNoodle

"I've driven these desert roads all my life. Thirty years ago there was roadkill piled on the shoulder as far as the eye can see. Year after year I'd see less and less roadkill. Now days, I'm lucky if I see a dead ground squirrel in a single mile... Must be the CO2 emissions."

- Satirical Quote by Hempy McNoodle

"Been doing rattlesnake roundups here in Sweetwater, TX all my life. We used to catch 'em and bring 'em in by the thousands. We poured gasoline down in their burrows and they'd come slithering out, three, four at a time. Over the years we seen fewer and fewer. A fellow named VenerableHippie on icmag tells me it's the climate change that's made the rattlesnakes disappear."

-Satirical Quote by Hempy McNoodle

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@Hempy McNoodle
I survived on roadkill one winter, right out in front of my shack. On average, weekly, a fresh killed deer hit by a logging truck on the icy corner. Back then the muley deer were still very populous so dining was fine. Once in summer a yearling black bear hit by the beer truck made a great treat, also scared away the Jehovahs who dropped in during butchering and were greeted by a bearded monster covered in gore.

The reason why there's less road kill is cuz all the trees are cut down so no loggers; they now stay home with their wives who won't let them drink beer so fewer beer trucks.

roads and barbed wire ~ ribbons of death ~ tjw

1659307256890.png

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here^ @Microbeman, when the VenerableHippie shared his "lived experience of climate change," I can only assume that they meant CO2 based popular greenhouse gas theory or that they were (to my point) conflating declining wildlife populations (loss of biodiversity) with popular climate change theory. I did not assume, for instance, that VenerableHippie was blaming "Jewish space lazers."

Perhaps VenerableHippie himself would care to explain how climate has made the roadkill population less dense... :biglaugh:

Wuz it the See Oh Too?
You know what they say about assumptions, eh?

Hempy McNoodle

@Hempy McNoodle
I survived on roadkill one winter, right out in front of my shack. On average, weekly, a fresh killed deer hit by a logging truck on the icy corner. Back then the muley deer were still very populous so dining was fine. Once in summer a yearling black bear hit by the beer truck made a great treat, also scared away the Jehovahs who dropped in during butchering and were greeted by a bearded monster covered in gore.

The reason why there's less road kill is cuz all the trees are cut down so no loggers; they now stay home with their wives who won't let them drink beer so fewer beer trucks.

View attachment 18739361
You're making me hungry!

St. Phatty

We are finishing up Day 7 of a 105+ degree heat wave.

Today the heat finally "broke" - it rained and we got clouds.

So it's down to 95, then overnight it drops 35 to 40 degrees, so tomorrow Monday has a chance to be more liveable.

Didn't lose a single plant or animal ! Got 2 more Cannabis plants grown enough to transplant.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Or just don't know how to handle with water.
FYCRdn8WQAEbgzL.jpeg

Climate change in Spain.

Windmill leaking oil about 200+ liters
FY3NJjLX0AA8BtE.jpeg
FY2YPpUWQAEmqOm.jpeg
FY2YTn2XgAE1Hgz.jpeg

VenerableHippie

"Look at all these masks! All because people want to drive their big ol' pickup trucks and put out all that CO2! Screw you climate change!"
- People who conflate environmental destruction with 'CO2 greenhouse gas theory'

View attachment 18738790
I agree. This is disgusting affluent detritus. (D-E-T-R-I-T-U-S = "debris" from the Latin: detritus ... wearing down.)
D-E-B-R-I-S (pronounced day-bree)
But almost all of you knew this ...

Three Berries

My rainfall data over the years at one location. 1989 is the average from 100+ years previous from the local radio station weather reporting.

Rainfallndatabase 87_2022.jpg

St. Phatty

the Romans were not so big on building huge cities in the desert & counting on everyone else sending them THEIR water so they could irrigate. play stupid games, win stupid prizes...
I would just cut off the water and say, "sorry assholes, you've had 50 f-cking years to prepare.

Or at least since the movie Chinatown."

San Diego COULD be using their one nuclear power plant to de-salinate water.

carlsbad desalination san diego energy source - Google Search

Carlsbad Desal Plant - Home

Environmental - Carlsbad Desal Plant

Seawater Desalination - San Diego County Water Authority

It might be a combination of fossil fuel & nuclear.

St. Phatty

Why do the windmill blades need to be recycled ?

They're not moving parts.

Only thing I can think is, if they're fiberglass, they will eventually be sun damaged.

Hempy McNoodle

Why do the windmill blades need to be recycled ?

They're not moving parts.

Only thing I can think is, if they're fiberglass, they will eventually be sun damaged.
My guess is that it is so that more can be purchased with tax dollars and rate-payer fees (more profit).

armedoldhippy

Veteran
@Hempy McNoodle

View attachment 18739361
roadkill venison tastes exactly like the venison i spend hours dragging out of the woods...waste not, want not.

Latest posts

Latest posts