What's new

Hombre del Monte's garden.

Podenco

Veja baja is hot too. The heat is hard on my dogs, I can only walk them longer at sunrise. They get ice in their water bowl and when hotter than 30 C in their room I turn on the air conditioning to drop temp to 25 C. They go out to pee in the day time but run back into the house when done.

Spain had a lot of medieval Sufi islam. Generalizing, the eastern Sufi branch focused on psychology and poetry and the western branch here in Spain (and North Africa) focused on philosophy, trying to match spirituality and science. Ibn Sina (Avicenna) and Ibn Arabi were here in Murcia/Andalusia.

There is a young Swedish researcher who has a lot of accesible info on western (Spanish) Sufism. Worth checking if you interested.

P

Last edited:

revegeta666

Not ICMag Donor
Veja baja is hot too. The heat is hard on my dogs, I can only walk them longer at sunrise. They get ice in their water bowl and when hotter than 30 C in their room I turn on the air conditioning to drop temp to 25 C. They go out to pee in the day time but run back into the house when done.

Spain had a lot of medieval Sufi islam. Generalizing, the eastern Sufi branch focused on psychology and poetry and the western branch here in Spain (and North Africa) focused on philosophy, trying to match spirituality and science. Ibn Sina (Avicenna) and Ibn Arabi were here in Murcia/Andalusia.

There is a young Swedish researcher who has a lot of accesible info on western (Spanish) Sufism. Worth checking if you interested.

P
It's called la Vega Baja. Or as we call it El Baix Segura.

Eltitoguay

Fortunately, a "wave of relative coolness" from the northwest has momentarily lowered temperatures in the Hombre del Monte regional area by five degrees °C lower.
The thing is not to be taken as a joke, and there is already an official number of deaths due to heat in Spain during this July 2024: 771 deaths, but many more heat strokes that did not end in death due to emergency health intervention.
Apparently, among the deceased, the main groups that have been observed have been 1-elderly, 2-previously ill, 3-visitors or foreign residents, and 4-outdoor workers. And of course, if you belong to more than one group, the risk increases.
Among people who have survived heat stroke thanks to rapid assistance, the largest group by far is young foreign tourists, followed by outdoor workers.
View attachment 19042495
View attachment 19042599
View attachment 19042471
View attachment 19042473
View attachment 19042478
View attachment 19042480
View attachment 19042485
View attachment 19042486
View attachment 19042488
...well, a little of black humor...
View attachment 19042491
Add up the deaths of July, the official numbers only the first 4 days of August in Hispañistan...: 366...
Screenshot_2024_0803_123011.png

...Oscillating between hot and very hot, in almost the entire Hispañistanic Caliphate...Only the flag will remain green...
1722973074896.png

...And we'll see if it doesn't turn from green to yellow, too, and the eagle migrates to Iceland...

Last edited:

Eltitoguay

......I think this cousin lives in an area similar to mine (between a valley and the great plain to the north, and the source of the mountain range to the south)...I'm sure is my Autonomous Comunity, in the frontier between La Mancha plains, and the borning mountais of Sierra Morena...
My area looks the same now: only the part of the mountains is green...

Resopla "ojú", y os saluda: Que cojones tiene el primo, y sus perros...y que bonito, el Camarón (y Paco, claro...); dos Bulerías y una Soleá, forol de cousins...:

Uffff, the Soleá...:

"A clock is my existence,
that walks night and day:
Very slow in my sorrows,
and so light and fast in my joys...

Anyone who has sorrow;
is known in his face...
And I am drowning mine
and no one will relieve them...

I do not wish you more
than the same as you pay me,
you get paid...at the moment of truth..."

Last edited:

Eltitoguay

This is how the next few days will look climatologically at the Hombre del Monte house; Oscillating between 21°C (70°F) night minimum, and 39°C (102'5°F) maximum daytime in the shade:
Screenshot_2024_0807_131648.png

...and this is how they appear in mine; Oscillating between 23°C (73'5°F) night minimum, and 43°C (109'5°F) maximum daytime in the shade:
Screenshot_2024_0807_131547.png

Fortunately, my niece was able to go to the coast for a few days, with some relatives. Now she walks between Podenco and Hombre del Monte, through Cartagena (the former capital of the European part of Cartago) & the Murcian coast, and its small Minor Sea...
Minor Sea
picture.jpeg

picture (9).jpeg

picture (11).jpeg

Catagena's walls
picture (5).jpeg
picture (6).jpeg

A piece of Murcian mento

Last edited:

revegeta666

Not ICMag Donor
It's Cartagena without the h....... It's not just a little port city, it's one of the oldest cities in Europe and was one of the most important port cities in the Mediterranean for literally thousands of years.........

Eltitoguay

It's Cartagena without the h....... It's not just a little port city, it's one of the oldest cities in Europe and was one of the most important port cities in the Mediterranean for literally thousands of years...
Well, I don't see it as old...
If the city is considered the result of the creation of a second capital on the European side of the Carthaginian Empire (227 BC) by Hasdrubal, it is not at all...
1723108181366.png

1723110395783.png
...Not even considering the city as the continuity of the Mastia (between 700 and 600 BC) of the Kingdom-Confederation of Tartessos...
1723108695762.png

Screenshot_2024_0808_114938.png

...In the same Tartessian area, for example Cádiz dates back to 1200 BC, and Jaén to between 2600 BC to 2000 BC...

Last edited:

Eltitoguay

As a cultural and tourist curiosity about current Cartagena (Murcia); The Spanish medieval festivals of Moros y Cristianos are very well known, but in Cartagena there are some much less known great festivals that commemorate an era and events a millennium and a half earlier: those of Carthaginians and Romans :
1723118302884.png

In it, complemented with various types of cultural and/or recreational activities, great part of Carthaginian Spain history and of the Second Punic War in Spain, is represented, from the historical point of view of the city of Cartagena.
As in Moors and Christians, the city is divided into two sides (Carthaginians and Romans) with their respective subgroups of allies on each side.
1723118377991.png

As an anecdote, I would say that my current area and then the Iberian Kingdom of Oretania (part of the decomposition into multiple Iberian kingdoms of Tartessos) and its people have a special role and representation in the festival: the Carthaginians used war elephants for the first time in Europe in the conquest of the Iberian kingdoms, against a coalition of the latter, led by Oretania and its King Orisón.
Orison had been alerted to the presence of Carthaginian war elephants, and their enormous power, by his Iberian allies in the southeast of the peninsula, and had foreseen this possibility: he achieved the victory and death of Halmicar Barca, urging and launching in the vanguard and ahead of the Iberian cavalry against the Carthaginian elephants, according to some chronicles, a wave of burning chariots pulled by oxen, and according to other chronicles, a herd of brave bulls brought from my area, with torches burning at the tips of their horns.
Finally, Hasdrubal came to Spain to continue and finish the work of Halmicar, achieving the surrender of Oretania, and Hannibal attempted the peacemaking and total integration of Oretania in Carthage by marrying the Oretania princess Himilce aka Imilce.
1723118563547.png

Description-Program of the Carthaginian and Roman Festivals:
" All events are free of charge, except for the Great Roman Circus, which requires the purchase of a ticket to enter the venue. Some events charge per seat, although there is always the option of watching the event standing up at no cost."

First Friday:​

• Arrival of the Sacred Fire: it takes place through a boat that enters through the port of Cartagena.
  • Lighting of the Sacred Fire: This is a spectacle in which priests, priestesses and vestals invoke the Punic and Roman gods to send the sacred fire. It is performed on Cerro del Molinete, one of the five hills of Cartagena.
  • Proclamation of the Festivities: takes place on the esplanade of the Town Hall and its pronouncement is made every year by a person of local or national relevance.
  • March to the festive camp: after finishing the proclamation, all the troops and legions march to the festive camp so that the authorities and the herald can cut the ribbon, inaugurating the festive camp and allowing the entry of the Sacred Fire.
  • Prior to the official proclamation there is an act, also official, known as Pregonillo and in which a group of veteran festival-goers walk through the streets of the city center announcing the imminent start of the festivities.

First Saturday:​

• The Foundation of Qart Hadasht is a show performed consecutively on three different stages in the city and which tells the story of the Barca family from the death of Hamilcar to the founding of Qart Hadasht by the Carthaginian general Hasdrubal Xanthus the Fair in 227 BC.
  • Since 2014 a children's version of this event has also been held, in which children between 6 and 11 years old from all troops participate

First Sunday:​

• The Dies Lustricus (formerly known as Nasciturus ) is a Roman children's festival in which all the children born in the previous year are baptized according to the Roman rite. A short play is also performed, accompanied by dance performances. The relatives of each baptized child pay tribute to the gods with baskets of fruit, which are donated to charity, and receive a diploma sealed with the child's palm dipped in ink.
  • The Destruction of Sagunto represents the capture and destruction of the city of Sagunto by Carthaginian troops.
  • The Centuriate Elections represent a meeting of Roman generals to plan their military strategy to defeat the Carthaginian troops of Hannibal Barca
  • The Plenary Session of the Senate is a humorous and vindictive reenactment of the session of the Senate of Rome that will lead to the declaration of war. The script is completely rewritten each year to reflect local, regional, national and international news and to include festive and political gossip. At the end of the event, the public votes by show of hands for the "Brutus Award of the Year"

Monday:​

• The Marriage of Hannibal and Himilce depicts the marriage of the Carthaginian general Hannibal and the Iberian princess Himilce , with the participation of all the Carthaginian troops. The young general Hannibal Barca is proclaimed Supreme Commander of the Carthaginian troops in Iberia and seals a pact of friendship with the Iberian people by marrying the young Iberian princess Himilce . At first the couple does not accept the imposition of the marriage, but after meeting each other, love is born and the wedding takes place with the full consent of both. It takes place on a removable stage in the Port of Cartagena.
  • Later, at the festive camp, the wedding celebrations are held, which include a large wedding cake.
  • Throughout the night, free weddings are celebrated in the festive camp according to Carthaginian and Celtic rites for all tourists and visitors. Some troops also celebrate express divorces

Tuesdays:​

• The Oracle of the Goddess Tanit is a theatrical act in which Princess Himilce consults the goddess Tanit about the future of the city and her marriage to Hannibal

Wednesday:​

• The Trials of Aspar and the Ludi Romani transform the Carthaginian and Roman streets of the festival camp, respectively, into fields for competitions, games and attractions so that boys and girls can demonstrate their skills. The former are named in honour of Prince Aspar, son of General Hannibal and Princess Himilce .
  • The Feriae Latino takes place at night in the Roman street of the festival camp, where the festival-goers of all the Roman legions perform various free acts and invite the public to try, free of charge, Roman gastronomic delicacies and drinks. The street is specially decorated for the occasion.
  • The Plan of the Gods is a theatrical act showing Scaevola, commander of the Legion Extraordinarii and the general Publius Cornelius Scipio consulting Martha the Syrian, a pythoness of the goddess Bellona , about the impending battle for the capture of Qart Hadasht . The pythoness announces a Roman victory in exchange for the life of the commander of the Extraordinarii.

Thursday:​

• In The Landing of the Carthaginian Armada, troops disembark at the port of Cartagena to join Hannibal 's army before beginning the march towards Rome . The hiring of mercenaries is also recreated, in which General Hannibal offers a tribute to the mercenary troops in exchange for them being his allies in the war.
  • The March of Hannibal's departure to Rome is a parade of Carthaginian troops towards the festive camp in which the Carthaginian power is shown and the departure of the Carthaginian general to Rome is commemorated

Second Friday:​

• Maritime sports battle: Rowing regatta in the harbour basin between two boats in which the Carthaginian and Roman teams, male and female, compete. It is the non-historical battle of the Carthaginian and Roman festivals.
  • The Landing of the Roman Armada recreates the arrival of the Roman naval forces under the command of Admiral Gaius Laelius who will join the legions waiting on land under the command of General Publius Cornelius Scipio .
  • The Great Battle for the Capture of Qart-Hadast is the emblematic event of the festivities that represents the battles between the Carthaginian and Roman armies, ending with the capture of the city by Publius Cornelius Scipio in 209 BC. It is celebrated on the Cuesta del Batel, next to the Wall of Charles III and very close to the archaeological remains of the Punic Wall of Cartagena .
  • The Roman Victory Parade is a parade to the festival camp in which only the Roman legions take part. It is a display of the power of the Roman legions entering the city of Qart Hadasht , which is designated by the Latin name of Cartago Nova

Second Saturday:​

• The Tribute to the Fallen commemorates the Roman soldiers who died in battle by placing a laurel wreath on the funerary monument of the Torre Ciega , a magnificent example of Roman funerary architecture that corresponds to a burial site from the 1st century BC, dedicated to Titus Didius . This act also pays special tribute to all the festival-goers who died during the year.
  • The General Parade of Troops and Legions is the only occasion when all the festive groups, whether from the Carthaginian or Roman side, can be seen marching together. All the troops and legions dress in their best clothes in a parade that ends at the festive camp.

Second Sunday:​

• The Great Roman Circus is a spectacle that represents gladiator and Greco-Roman fights, chariot, beam and horse races, dances and martial parades of Roman legionaries.
  • The Victory Act of Rome reenacts Rome's victory with the liberation of the hostages of Carthage, the presentation of the two Mural Crowns , the transfer of command of the city to Marcus Sempronius and the proclamation of the Law of Rome. In a unique case in the history of Rome, General Scipio presents two Mural Crowns, one to the legionary Quintus Trebellius and another to the sailor Sextus Digicius, as they both disputed the glory of having been the first Roman to set foot on Qart Hadasht during its siege. Until 2015, it was celebrated on the second Friday, immediately after the end of the Great Battle.
  • During the Extinguishing of the Sacred Fire, the priestesses, the priests, the vestals and representatives of the Troops and Legions, walk through the streets of the festive area, extinguishing and silencing all the camps in their path, to reach the stage where the Sacred Fire will be extinguished and the Anthem of Cartagena will be sung . Finally, a fireworks display is launched.

Camp activities:​

In addition to the official program, there is an internal program of camp activities, established by each troop or legion unilaterally and made public through social networks and posters at the festival site:
1723123216033.png

Tartessos camp:
1723123382991.png

Penínsular Íberian camp:

1723123980076.png

Balearic islands Íberian camp:
1723123947821.png

Hannibal camp:
1723124298017.png

Carthaginian Navy camp:
1723124871039.png

This programme includes more than one hundred free activities in the form of concerts by local and regional bands, tastings, short plays, monologues, contests (beauty contests, beard contests, pasodobles, archery, karaoke, arm wrestling, tug-of-war, gorgoritos), exhibitions (slingshot, Greco-Roman wrestling), wedding and divorce celebrations, kidnapping of party-goers, slave auctions, etc.
All events in the programme are open to the general public and are free of charge.

Last edited:

Eltitoguay

MENSAJE PA' TO LA PRIMERÍA NACIONAL:
Sí conoceis modelos y/o ofertas (ya sea por internet o por hipermercados/cadenas nacionales de tiendas de electrodomésticos), de climatizadores/aires acondicionados portátiles lo más baratos posibles y de fácil mantenimiento, no dejeis de comunicárselo por privado a nuestro Hombre del Monte, que estoy a ver si lo animo...
Que el hipismo, budismo, estoicismo y ecologismo estan de putísima madre; pero viene otra ola de calor, y nuestro anfitrión pertenece a más de un grupo de riesgo...

Last edited:

Eltitoguay

(...) pero viene otra ola de calor, y nuestro anfitrión pertenece a más de un grupo de riesgo...
...Well, it has already arrived in my area; today we will not go above 44°C (111.5°F) in the shade.
Screenshot_2024_0810_092624.png

Fortunately for Hombre del Mont, it seems that the heat wave will enter through the Guadalquivir Valley and will rise from southwest to northeast through the interior of the peninsula towards Euskadi (let the Basques get ready...) without affecting the Mediterranean coasts as much, and Hombre del Monte will not exceed 37°C (99°F)...

Last edited:

revegeta666

Not ICMag Donor
He must be feeling very bad not to check in on his mates online.
Hang in there brother heat stroke is no joke
He is doing good don't worry. Almost recovered, at least enough to do his Yoga on the beach. His downward dog looks better than mine and I'm 22 years younger 🤣. He used the rest period as a tolerance break and is enjoying refreshing effects in his cobs. I had a long music chat with him yesterday, he was joking around and seemed to be in very good spirits.

Hasch

learning and laughing
He is doing good don't worry. Almost recovered, at least enough to do his Yoga on the beach. His downward dog looks better than mine and I'm 22 years younger 🤣. He used the rest period as a tolerance break and is enjoying refreshing effects in his cobs. I had a long music chat with him yesterday, he was joking around and seemed to be in very good spirits.
Thanks for the heads up 👍🏼

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Just a little update to tell you guys that I'm ok'ish, but my recent physical and mental health have been suffering and consequently my garden too. Thankfully I'm improving and am almost back to me usual silly self.

I'm actually having a tolerance break for a couple of weeks and taking some time off from posting here too, but hopefully I'll be back on the boards soon and I'll again regaling you all with the nonsense that you've come to expect from "the doctor of stupidity".

Take care my brothers and i'll see you all soon.

Hombre