Holy grail Mr Nice.

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
C5 was told.
IMG_0973.jpeg

X15

I have a question for the og’s here…
What was Nevs approach to Selection and the Variability we see with different methods of cultivation, environmental conditions and other factors associated with phenotype expression?
Did he make his selections using a consistent style or methods? Did he believe in such fundamental strategies?

Much Respect!
NASA-

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
I have a question for the og’s here…
What was Nevs approach to Selection and the Variability we see with different methods of cultivation, environmental conditions and other factors associated with phenotype expression?
Did he make his selections using a consistent style or methods? Did he believe in such fundamental strategies?

Much Respect!
NASA-
In my expirience I have seen that same pheno expression is possible in different years but in same time of year.
But in 1 year every harvest is bit different.

I have never grow in 100% controlable room without any impact from outdoor weather.

How Nevile was doing this I dont know.
Probably like every breeder in world just grow and cross the best phenos you have.
For desired plant characteristics you want.

Last edited:

William76

In my expirience I have seen that same pheno expression is possible in different years but in same time of year.

I have never grow in 100% controlable room without any impact from outdoor weather.

Probably like every breeder in world just grow and cross the best phenos you have.
Nevil done a lot of 1 to 1 matings,with plants he thought were the best,he definitely new what he was doing.i think anyway,76

X15

Nevil done a lot of 1 to 1 matings,with plants he thought were the best,he definitely new what he was doing.i think anyway,76
Thank you for that. Without a Doubt he knew what he was doing.
I’ve just always felt selection is such a personal kinda thing. I’d love to learn more about his methods of cultivation and how he distinguished between given birth Traits and environmental influence. Did he feel he was influencing expression or simply allowing influence to occur during his 1 to 1 matings. Was his methods of cultivation always consistent or was he a proponent for diversity? Assuming they were at the mercy of the equipment of the time, weather and location… Does anyone know if he talked about his work and how environmentals played a role in their outcomes (phenotypically)?
What was the go to methods of his time and did you other og’s strive to run stuff similarly or what?

Edit: “without a doubt”

Much Respect!
NASA-

Last edited:

X15

Gotcha, kinda lol.
Id like to think not all breeders in the world “just grow and cross the best phenos you have”. As I believe there’s a balance involved. A painter doesn’t just throw paint on a canvas and expect it to produce a masterpiece.

F2F

I think his parents are from the same stock as mine were. I have not kept up on bushies stuff but I think his seeds are f2s and so on of the seeds Nevil sold a few years before he passed.
Yeah, kinda what I figured. The hybrids I’m running are crosses to the Oaxacan Space Shuttle, a NL5 outcross. Was that NH crossed to Kanga’s straight Oax?

Peace
F2F

Raho

Veteran
Gotcha, kinda lol.
Id like to think not all breeders in the world “just grow and cross the best phenos you have”. As I believe there’s a balance involved. A painter doesn’t just throw paint on a canvas and expect it to produce a masterpiece.
Go direct to the source @X15
The best view into Nevil's mind and methods is preserved on Shanti's MNS forum, located at https://mrnice.nl/forum

Anyone who wants to understand him now should definitely create an account there and search for posts/threads by him. He was asked questions like yours repeatedly and answered generously.

He attracted a lot of haters over there and it didn't take long before some started to harass him badly.
It sucked.
I never understood why people had such animosity towards him. That included some "big" names in the seed biz. I assumed it was jealousy and they were threatened professionally. Trying to show off I guess. I won't name names but if you spend time reading up there you'll see them eventually. Nasty attitudes.
Eventually he got sick of it and left. By that time, Shanti (according to second hand accounts) wanted him to leave since he was selling seeds to members through private discussions in PMs. Apparently he had agreed with Shanti not to do as a condition of his visit there.
Shanti was posturing like he and Nev were partners in MrNice along with Howard, but nevil had sold him the gear and it wasn't a partnership. When Nev was posting up there, he was kind of Shanti's competition.

The mods there somehow managed to let the trolls and haters run wild, while bullying and harassing a lot of good regular members to the point of leaving. Seems they had a problem of percieving things as threats that were not . . . sound familiar?