What's new

Have you looked at the North Pole lately?

moose eater

The cumulative run is now at a bit over 1/3 of the expected or typical cumulative run or cumulative management objective for the Miles Lake sonar on the Copper River. So, it's now better than the 1/5 it was at less than a week ago, but still a bit disconcerting for the moment.

If the up-tick continues and we get on-track, then maybe it'll be a decent run after all.

We seem to be rapidly approaching half-way to the stated management objective as of yesterday's numbers!! Hallelujah!!

Approximately 20,000 salmon passed the sonar in the period between 6/5's and 6/6's numbers..

Edit: Oops!! My calculations were off a bit, but it's still looking much better now.

GO REDS!!!! (And kings, too!!).

Last edited:

Dime

We seem to be rapidly approaching half-way to the stated management objective as of yesterday's numbers!! Hallelujah!!

Approximately 20,000 salmon passed the sonar in the period between 6/5's and 6/6's numbers..

Edit: Oops!! My calculations were off a bit, but it's still looking much better now.
The conservation authority estimated 6 million walleye run down the st clair river in my area this year at spawn. People are limiting out in no time .

Last edited:

moose eater

The conservation authority estimated 6 million walleye run down the st clair river in my area this year at spawn. People are limiting out in no time .
By today, starting May 20, the Ak Dept of Fish and Game had anticipated an attainment objective of just under a quarter-million salmon. We've had just over 109,000 I believe counted by the sonar as of yesterday evening, but only one side of the river's sonar was turned on and operating for a number of days at the outset.

They'll run into September or even early October, though by then the reds will have thinned out, but with some still in the river, and the steelhead and silvers will be in the river.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
Premium user
420club
I've post this numerous times in this thread and it's the most truthful meme I've ever seen!!
For all the idiots with no "scientific backgrounds" at all!!

View attachment 19014291
you want to stick it to the gas companies, stop buying their product!
that will show them and the world will be far better off
/your regional groups and community activists are jokes

meme post
meme post

yes! memes will save the world
who cares about intelligent conversation or real ideas
i can haz cheeseburger

moose eater

The -actual- cumulative escapement for this year's Copper River salmon run is now about 16,000 salmon OVER the cumulative targeted objective and there are now -2- openings scheduled for the Chitina Dipnet Fishery in June so far.. So it ought to get going pretty good shortly. (*Click the arrow at the bottom of the graph for additional escapement dates and cumulative reports).

I guess I'd better clean out the walk-in smoker and ID some sources for bulk amounts of green alder to cut and peel for smoking in the near future.

Have the pain pills and muscle relaxers at the ready.... They're probably going to be needed.

Last edited:

igrowone

Veteran

May 2024​

The May global surface temperature was 1.18°C (2.12°F) above the 20th-century average of 14.8°C (58.6°F), making it the warmest May on record. This was 0.18°C (0.32°F) above the previous record from May 2020. May 2024 marked the 48th consecutive May (since 1977) with temperatures at least nominally above the 20th-century average.

1718320669264.png

May had a record-high monthly global ocean surface temperature for the 14th consecutive month. El Niño conditions that emerged in June 2023 were replaced by ENSO-neutral conditions during the past month, and according to NOAA's Climate Prediction Center La Niña is favored to develop during July-September (65% chance) and persist into the Northern Hemisphere winter 2024-25 (85% chance during November-January).

The Northern Hemisphere also ranked as the warmest May on record at 1.44°C (2.59°F) above average. The Northern Hemisphere land temperature was also record warm in May (tied with 2020) and the ocean temperature was again record-high by a wide margin (0.25°C/0.45°F warmer than the previous record set in 2020). The Arctic region had its 11th warmest May on record.

May 2024 in the Southern Hemisphere also ranked warmest on record at 0.92°C (1.66°F) above average. The ocean-only temperature for May in the Southern Hemisphere ranked highest on record, while the land-only Southern Hemisphere temperature was 6th warmest on record. Meanwhile, the Antarctic region had its 23rd warmest May, 0.55°C (0.99°F) above average.

May 2024 Blended Land and Sea Surface Temperature Anomalies in degrees Celsius
May 2024 Blended Land and Sea Surface Temperature Anomalies in degrees Celsius
May 2024 Blended Land and Sea Surface Temperature Percentiles
May 2024 Blended Land and Sea Surface Temperature Percentiles
A smoothed map of blended land and sea surface temperature anomalies is also available.

Record warm temperatures covered large parts of the African continent, northern China and Mongolia, areas neighboring the North Sea, and many parts of a region stretching from southern Brazil northward through most of Mexico. A prolonged heatwave brought numerous all-time record high temperatures in Mexico, which is also enduring widespread drought, leading to dozens of fatalities and numerous wildlife deaths.

Temperatures were warmer to much-warmer-than-average across much of the Arctic, the eastern U.S. and large parts of Canada, western Europe, the eastern half of Russia, southeast Asia, and much of Australia. In northern and central India and Pakistan, where temperatures for the month as a whole were warmer to much-warmer-than-average, a severe and persistent heat wave struck during the last half of the month. Temperatures in excess of 48°C (118°F) occurred in many locations in India, resulting in strained water supplies and many deaths. Temperatures at or above 52°C were reported in Pakistan and a daily high temperature of 52.0°C (125.6°F) was recorded at Shahbaz AB, Jacobabad, Pakistan on May 26 as found in NCEI's GHCN-Daily dataset. For the month of May as a whole, 22 days exceeded 45°C (113°F) at that location, and in other places daily high temperatures exceeded 40°C (104°F) numerous times in May.

In contrast, cooler-than-average temperatures covered areas that included western parts of Russia and Kazahkstan, much of the western U.S. and Alaska, and large parts of Greenland. May temperatures were also cooler-than-average in Argentina and Chile, where a succession of polar air masses brought the strongest cold wave in more than 70 years to parts of Chile.

Across the global oceans, record warm sea surface temperatures covered much of the tropical Atlantic and large parts of the Indian Ocean and the equatorial western Pacific as well as parts of the southwest Pacific and Southern Ocean. Record warm temperatures also occurred in the North Sea and neighboring seas in the North Atlantic. Positive anomalies also covered large parts of the northern Pacific. Record-warm temperatures covered approximately 16.1% of the world's surface this May, which was the highest percentage for May since the start of records in 1951, and 11.2% higher than the previous May record of 2016.

Near-average to cooler-than-average temperatures covered large parts of the southeast Pacific, the southwest Atlantic, areas of the southwest Indian Ocean, and parts of the Southern Ocean. Only 0.2% of the world's surface had a record-cold May.

Africa had its warmest May on record while North America had its fifth warmest, Europe its third warmest, and South America its 11th warmest May.

• The United Kingdom experienced its warmest May on record, in a series dating back to 1884, with a mean temperature 2.4°C above average, based on preliminary data.
  • Germany had its second warmest May since 1901, 1.9°C warmer than the 1991–2020 average.
  • May 2024 was relatively warm in Austria, 1.0°C above the 1991–2020 average in the lowlands of Austria and 0.6°C above average in the mountains region, both the 28th warmest in series that date back 258 years and 174 years, respectively.
  • MeteoSwiss reported that this May was 0.1°C below the 1991–2020 average for Switzerland, as temperatures were influenced by the wettest May conditions in 60 years of records.
  • The contiguous U.S. had its 13th warmest May in the 130-year record, tying 1941 and 2007.
  • The Caribbean Islands region had its warmest May on record, a remarkable 0.63°C (1.13°F) warmer than the previous record warm Mays of 2016 and 2020.
  • The Main Development Region for hurricanes in the Atlantic also had its warmest May on record, 0.37°C (0.67°F) warmer than the previous record warm May of 2010.

May 2024 ranked ninth warmest for Asia and Oceania tied as sixth warmest on record for May.

• Japan had its seventh warmest May since statistics began in 1898, 0.67°C above the 1991–2020 average.
  • According to the Australian Bureau of Meteorology, Australia's national area-averaged mean temperature was 0.99°C above the 1961–1990 average, the 17th warmest May since records began in 1910.
  • New Zealand had its coldest May in 15 years, 1.3°C below the 1991–2020 average, according to New Zealand's National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research.

Attachments

• 1718320356953.gif
    1718320356953.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 29

Porky82

This has the best sentence I've seen in years!! 🤣
For all those with "scientific backgrounds" on here.
From the article: It's important to understand one thing above all: the vast majority of climate change denialism does not occur in the world of science, but on the internet. Specifically in the blog-world: anyone can blog or have a social media account and say whatever they want to say. And they do. 🤣

Porky82

Wonder if any of our resident scientists know what the word evidence means?? 🤔
I doubt it! 🤣