What's new

Green Mountain Seeds distribution agreement with ACE Seeds

befa

People mainly talk down on it because MrSoul's math was off and you are nowhere near the 94% uniform true-breeding variety in three generations. But with more realistic expectations backcrossing is a fine tool to have in the breeding toolbox.
Some people don't want to understand that it's unrealistic to reproduce the original over 3 generations, otherwise you simply wouldn't add bx1 2 3. You have to practice to understand this, but I agree if you've screwed up or if your fetish variety is tired, even if I sincerely think, as people have pointed out to me, and this is where I'm 100% okay, that it's better to start from scratch and purify a line that might correspond to your wishes.
Yes, as a selection tool and to find something better to your taste, it's highly recommended, you could find some beautiful things, I've done it on cookie over 4 generations, waste of time! Vive les landraces ;) Like a lot of other things I wanted to try that were in fashion
BX is often used in a misleading way, but that's my opinion.

befa

People mainly talk down on it because MrSoul's math was off and you are nowhere near the 94% uniform true-breeding variety in three generations. But with more realistic expectations backcrossing is a fine tool to have in the breeding toolbox.
I know I’m an asshole but making a selection on beans that you find in your coffee bag in Amsterdam ,here the guys are laughing (but I think everyone can understand that here) so when I talk to them about bx ,Backcrossing or cubing on his damn Jack beans found in a pouch I tell you not , completely crazy especially that here everyone tasted the official cuts ,and I can tell you that there is nothing pineapple in J.H, or then a sub-cup that no one knows here except its creator;) ,the only cup here that we think is more or less close to J.H is café girl ,a cup that I had by making a selection of C99 and that I still have in the form of only cross ( C99 x strawberry diesel (reservoir seed), J.H never bloomed in 50 days believe me, C99 does so believe what you want on BX and its legende C99
A selection on beans found in a pouch in Amsterdam ,oh polen my pretty polen flies, flies, flies to another horizon

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
I'm enjoying my Purple Satellite. Every time I open the jar I get hit with a fruity cherry like aroma. Yum. :)

She didn't yield too much but more than enough to give me a taste. Sweet taste and comfortable mild high, perfect for wake and bake. :D

PXL_20231111_132250867.jpg

vermontman

I know I’m an asshole but making a selection on beans that you find in your coffee bag in Amsterdam ,here the guys are laughing (but I think everyone can understand that here) so when I talk to them about bx ,Backcrossing or cubing on his damn Jack beans found in a pouch I tell you not , completely crazy especially that here everyone tasted the official cuts ,and I can tell you that there is nothing pineapple in J.H, or then a sub-cup that no one knows here except its creator;) ,the only cup here that we think is more or less close to J.H is café girl ,a cup that I had by making a selection of C99 and that I still have in the form of only cross ( C99 x strawberry diesel (reservoir seed), J.H never bloomed in 50 days believe me, C99 does so believe what you want on BX and its legende C99
A selection on beans found in a pouch in Amsterdam ,oh polen my pretty polen flies, flies, flies to another horizon
I have never tried to stabilize complex hybrids by back crossing, Not sure how that would work? Back years ago I tried to grow dutch strains and do selections, but by the third to fourth generation, they turned to lettuce, or just were not desirable. Like the famous Northern lights #1. By gen four nothing but leaf no trichs! and many many others, I feel I wasted time on, though that's how we learn I suppose. That's why I started doing my own breeding work with primary landrace or heirloom strains that, are way more predictable. Don't get me wrong even when I would take two strains you would think should be a perfect match, many times, nope!
And it's back to the drawing board!
This time I am going back to my best Oaxacan Gold cut "C " X Mulanje Gold. to try to bring out the lemon balsam cleaner fragrance of the Oaxacan in this cross.
I made this cross before and she was great but did not finish at 42N before the rains mucked them up by mid Oct and they were not finished. But a fellow gardener grew them in Cali and raved about them. Pictured below are his flowering plants.

And my new OAXACAN X MULANJE seedlings just getting ready to go outside, today sunny and 90F. at 11 hours of light daily. I think these will be a shoe in!

OAXACAN GOLD X MULANJE GOLD 001.JPG

OAXACAN X MULANJE (5).jpg
OAXACAN X MULANJE (3).jpg
proxy (6).jpeg
proxy (2).jpeg
proxy (7).jpeg

Last edited:

vermontman

I'm enjoying my Purple Satellite. Every time I open the jar I get hit with a fruity cherry like aroma. Yum. :)

She didn't yield too much but more than enough to give me a taste. Sweet taste and comfortable mild high, perfect for wake and bake. :D

View attachment 18917077
Hello Tex!
My good buddy!
looking frosty and delicious, man I miss the smell of fairly fresh picked fruity sativa, but coming soon!
And you know what they say good things come in small packages!
I hope you are enjoying your clay artistry while you smoke the Satellite!
Great to see you here good friend.
Cheers to you and yours!
Thank you for posting!!

befa

I have never tried to stabilize complex hybrids by back crossing, Not sure how that would work? Back years ago I tried to grow dutch strains and do selections, but by the third to fourth generation, they turned to lettuce, or just were not desirable. Like the famous Northern lights #1. By gen four nothing but leaf no trichs! and many many others, I feel I wasted time on, though that's how we learn I suppose. That's why I started doing my own breeding work with primary landrace or heirloom strains that, are way more predictable. Don't get me wrong even when I would take two strains you would think should be a perfect match, many times, nope!
This time I am going back to my best Oaxacan Gold cut "C " X Mulanje Gold. to try to bring out the lemon balsam cleaner fragrance of the Oaxacan in this cross.
I made this cross before and she was great but did not finish at 42N before the rains mucked them up by mid Oct and they were not finished. But a fellow gardener grew them in Cali and raved about them. Pictured below are his flowering plants.

And my new OAXACAN X MULANJE seedlings just getting ready to go outside, today sunny and 90F. at 11 hours of light daily. I think these will be a shoe in!

View attachment 18917115

View attachment 18917110 View attachment 18917111 View attachment 18917112 View attachment 18917113 View attachment 18917114
Well seen and well said, backcrossing complex hybrids is stupid I know, I did, another time, I'm far from being a genius the proof ;) but still it makes me laugh, of course can be useful with landraces I do not deny
Puta de madre ,congratulations to your gardening colleague ,this cross seems crazy to me ,it has a Panamanian look but making longer arms if I still see well ,what did this one smell like?
I understand why you wanted to orient the terpenic traits more towards the oxan side, I've got some Michoacan at the moment which smells horribly of detergent lemon and turpentine pine, just for that we've married it with an N.H.
Good work with your future offspring

vermontman

Well seen and well said, backcrossing complex hybrids is stupid I know, I did, another time, I'm far from being a genius the proof ;) but still it makes me laugh, of course can be useful with landraces I do not deny
Puta de madre ,congratulations to your gardening colleague ,this cross seems crazy to me ,it has a Panamanian look but making longer arms if I still see well ,what did this one smell like?
I understand why you wanted to orient the terpenic traits more towards the oxan side, I've got some Michoacan at the moment which smells horribly of detergent lemon and turpentine pine, just for that we've married it with an N.H.
Good work with your future offspring
Hello @befa!
If I may? Just curious.
Are you breeding on a commercial level,
or just for hobby?

befa

Hello @befa!
If I may? Just curious.
Are you breeding on a commercial level,
or just for hobby?
I fell into it in 1991, a friend who lives in Reunion Island hooked me up, he lives there permanently, and voilà I fell in love with the brothel, nothing commercial, I must have practiced a good thousand strains but I'm an amateur and just looking for fun, contact, it makes me move a little more and allows me to meet people like me, completely crazy and fun especially ;) I'd be a very poor professional, I leave that to those who have the knowledge and much more serious work than I can provide.
I'm planning to go to India ,Thailand at the end of next year ,if all goes well ,I want to get to those fucking fields before they get too polluted ,a friend of mine is keen to make the trip ,so it should happen ,I'm giving myself 2 years maximum ,we'll see what the future holds ;)
I may be repeating myself, but great job man!
Your latest African acquisition seems to be a cold shower ,terpenes oriented camphenes one would say, insoluble in water ;) I noticed that you choose your working tools from the same geographical area, which made me curious and so I did some research for my own work. Kashmir is also rich in camphenes, a means of protection against excessive humidity and reduced flowering.

vermontman

I fell into it in 1991, a friend who lives in Reunion Island hooked me up, he lives there permanently, and voilà I fell in love with the brothel, nothing commercial, I must have practiced a good thousand strains but I'm an amateur and just looking for fun, contact, it makes me move a little more and allows me to meet people like me, completely crazy and fun especially ;) I'd be a very poor professional, I leave that to those who have the knowledge and much more serious work than I can provide.
I'm planning to go to India ,Thailand at the end of next year ,if all goes well ,I want to get to those fucking fields before they get too polluted ,a friend of mine is keen to make the trip ,so it should happen ,I'm giving myself 2 years maximum ,we'll see what the future holds ;)
I may be repeating myself, but great job man!
Your latest African acquisition seems to be a cold shower ,terpenes oriented camphenes one would say, insoluble in water ;) I noticed that you choose your working tools from the same geographical area, which made me curious and so I did some research for my own work. Kashmir is also rich in camphenes, a means of protection against excessive humidity and reduced flowering.
Hello @befa!
Sounds like you have more experience than some so called professionals! I tried to pull up a great Utube video I had seen on a farm in Thailand growing out all kinds of original Thai strains, since it just went legal there recently. But all I could find was huge grows with one tag I could read labeled Gelato. UUUGHHHHH! any way, I believe after seeing the first video up in the mountains there not sure what region some strains are being kept pure. Though how long that lasts? Who can say.
But I love some of the powerful African genetics, but for me they also have to really shine and produce. Especially with the price of soilless mix doubling in price and rising electrical cost.
I still have not found an African I like as much as Mulanje Gold.
But still intrigued enough to try a couple new ones this year. As far as Mexicans I fell in love with my Oaxacan back in the seventies. If I do come across that Thai video I will put a link it certainly was a wondrous sight rows of all kinds of pure Thai.
CHEERS!

vermontman

OAXACAN GOLD
This is seriously my favorite strain of all times. 48 years + and still running. This Oax is truly happy cannabis and has always astounded me how these ladies with such fine leaves can mass up so heavily, and their uniformity has also kept me amazed.
Two best clones C and #2 in 1 gallon pots. Upon flip to 12/12 they will go into 2 gal. few weeks into flower move into 10 gallon to finish up.
C is from my original green line very pine lemon cleaner. And #2 is My Oaxacan purple line crossed back to original green line male, a bit more balsam fir floral lavender earthy hash.
three more days to flip!

OAXACAN GOLD CLONES 003.JPG

Last edited:

befa

Hello @befa!
Sounds like you have more experience than some so called professionals! I tried to pull up a great Utube video I had seen on a farm in Thailand growing out all kinds of original Thai strains, since it just went legal there recently. But all I could find was huge grows with one tag I could read labeled Gelato. UUUGHHHHH! any way, I believe after seeing the first video up in the mountains there not sure what region some strains are being kept pure. Though how long that lasts? Who can say.
But I love some of the powerful African genetics, but for me they also have to really shine and produce. Especially with the price of soilless mix doubling in price and rising electrical cost.
I still have not found an African I like as much as Mulanje Gold.
But still intrigued enough to try a couple new ones this year. As far as Mexicans I fell in love with my Oaxacan back in the seventies. If I do come across that Thai video I will put a link it certainly was a wondrous sight rows of all kinds of pure Thai.
CHEERS!
Thanks for the link, there's a real missile launch pad out there.
Ici la même ,on se fait plumer et les manifestations ont tournés en drame ici :( mais bon nous avons la chance d'avoir un petit potager, nous limitons les décas
Yes, I really like the description of your Mulanje Gold, and the family who harvested and grew it are known to have done a good job.
Yes, your Oxan are very uniform, perhaps the leaflets on the 2nd are slightly wider and smaller, but I'm quibbling here ;)
I'm setting up a project Africa, Asia thai ,india....with friends ,it requires a lot of research and patience to have a certain coherence (terpene pool ,effect, struture, ect... because the finality will be to stack all this up
So yes, your work is very interesting, and the terpene profile has become for me a primordial vector in my work, because I think it contributes, orients, enormously the desired effect, so I think you need a certain symbiosis in your choices by continent and sector (latittude, microclimate, climate, etc.).
I'm not a pro, so we'll take it slow
Feminized Purple satellite would be very appealing here at 50, I hope you'll suggest it at some point ;)

vermontman

Thanks for the link, there's a real missile launch pad out there.
Ici la même ,on se fait plumer et les manifestations ont tournés en drame ici :( mais bon nous avons la chance d'avoir un petit potager, nous limitons les décas
Yes, I really like the description of your Mulanje Gold, and the family who harvested and grew it are known to have done a good job.
Yes, your Oxan are very uniform, perhaps the leaflets on the 2nd are slightly wider and smaller, but I'm quibbling here ;)
I'm setting up a project Africa, Asia thai ,india....with friends ,it requires a lot of research and patience to have a certain coherence (terpene pool ,effect, struture, ect... because the finality will be to stack all this up
So yes, your work is very interesting, and the terpene profile has become for me a primordial vector in my work, because I think it contributes, orients, enormously the desired effect, so I think you need a certain symbiosis in your choices by continent and sector (latittude, microclimate, climate, etc.).
I'm not a pro, so we'll take it slow
Feminized Purple satellite would be very appealing here at 50, I hope you'll suggest it at some point ;)
Hello @befa
I did release some purple Satellite fem to a company in the States North Atlantic seed co. But I don't know if they ship out of the States. They also have full stock of all my strains as well as ACE gear.

vermontman

Have you ever tried Ghana weed? It also has this "Gold" appearance.
We got it in Zürich in the eighties. Really fantastic stuff.
I don't remember any thing gold from Africa when I was younger
I do remember getting something called African Black I think that was the only African that made it our way in the late seventies but who knows what that was. In North East US there was lots of imports though coming in through Boston.
Many Columbians Red and Gold, we had a killer one called Rainbow from Columbia. I remember getting a red that actually had red stems many Mexicans Acapulco and Guerrero gold many other mid Mex'es. And Panama Red! the buds were like round little twisted nugs with a beautiful orange/red color, man that was nice.
Gold Thai and Buddha sticks, loose Thai many Jamaicans, Pananama red, Vietnamese Gold. Some Hawaiians, lots of hash. There was almost always great weed around but they were seasonal, but I do remember cannabis drought times that usually we would get through if we stashed ahead. And of course I always planted seeds! HAHA

Thcvhunter

Veteran

View attachment 18917115

View attachment 18917110 View attachment 18917111 View attachment 18917112 View attachment 18917113 View attachment 18917114
So impressive
Way to go

Perdido

Many Columbians Red and Gold, we had a killer one called Rainbow from Columbia. I remember getting a red that actually had red stems many Mexicans Acapulco and Guerrero gold many other mid Mex'es. And Panama Red! the buds were like round little twisted nugs with a beautiful orange/red color, man that was nice.
Gold Thai and Buddha sticks, loose Thai many Jamaicans, Pananama red, Vietnamese Gold. Some Hawaiians, lots of hash.
Okay, no wonder you guys got to grow such great strains as Haze. i don't think a comparable variety got to Europe.
We had the Hippies and the old guard who went to India, Thailand, Pakistan and Afghanistan and imported from there and we had workers from the Middle East and North Africa who brought their stuff. They were also the first to grow it here in Europe I believe.
Then came the opening in the Netherlands and it took off.
The eighties were a cool time to be young.

vermontman

Okay, no wonder you guys got to grow such great strains as Haze. i don't think a comparable variety got to Europe.
We had the Hippies and the old guard who went to India, Thailand, Pakistan and Afghanistan and imported from there and we had workers from the Middle East and North Africa who brought their stuff. They were also the first to grow it here in Europe I believe.
Then came the opening in the Netherlands and it took off.
The eighties were a cool time to be young.
Hello @Perdido!
I have to agree about being young in the eighties, it was quite wonderful. The night club scene, the weed the others substances! HAHA And of course the great cannabis. Thank goodness there is still great cannabis to be found.
CHEERS