Oaxacan Gold X Mulanje Gold
Seedlings.

127_2586.JPG

vermontman

EnjoyingLife

Hey Yall! HAHA
First Pic, best Mulaje Gold clone.

Second pic:
Two front row right. Best 2 clones of Oaxacan Gold, clone C and Oaxacan Gold purple line X Green line clone #2
. Rear right Green Mountain Grape X Mulanje Gold, rear left Lemon. Front left Zacatecas Tribute clone #2.

View attachment 18914616
View attachment 18914615
Somebody posted a pic of a green and purple pheno of a strain asking which people would choose.
I said cross them.
Now I see you doing exactly that!
It has me curious what happens when this is done.
What do you see happen in your garden and why do you cross them?

Perdido

Those Purple Satellite could not look any more stellar! Looking again like some serious Purple Haze.
And at 48N! DAMMMNNN!
If you say so!
No honestly, I have been more than happy with the outcome and most importantly the smoke is superb. :thank you:
They were easy to grow too. 20l Growbags and some commercial soil and a little organic fertilizer from time to time.
That terasse belongs to friends where i do house sitting regularly.

Did I ever show my Green Mountain Grape 2022?
on 16th of September
20220916_GMG 02 - Kopie.jpg

Last edited:

vermontman

Somebody posted a pic of a green and purple pheno of a strain asking which people would choose.
I said cross them.
Now I see you doing exactly that!
It has me curious what happens when this is done.
What do you see happen in your garden and why do you cross them?
Great question!
I ran two lines from the same base line of my Oaxacan Gold. One I kept as a green line and I selected out over the past two decades for the purple, establishing a fully stable purple line. And when you recombine those genes you bring back the full vigor and can start selecting for new traits without, diluting the genetics by out crossing. I still will keep the green line and the purple line separate to instill the desired traits in my available crosses for instance I cross Oaxacan Purple line with Baglung Nepali to get Purple Satellite. And Oaxacan Green line with Hawaiian Sativa to get Mountain Gold. It's basically a genetic juggling act, to make the best seeds possible available to the public.
I hope that helps.
CHEERS

Perdido

two lines from the same base line of my Oaxacan Gold. One I kept as a green line and I selected out over the past two decades for the purple, establishing a fully stable purple line. And when you recombine those genes you bring back the full vigor and can start selecting for new traits without, diluting the genetics by out crossing. I still will keep the green line and the purple line separate to instill the desired traits in my available crosses

Following the text book!
That's how you do it in industrial breeding projects! I have worked as an assistant gardener in two breeding projects in the 80ies, and thats what we had to do. Keep the inbred lines, that were started from the same f2 samples, the breeder would visit and select every few days.
Ähm - Bye Bye, my wife says I should put on my pants and she'll take me for a walk

vermontman

Following the text book!
That's how you do it in industrial breeding projects! I have worked as an assistant gardener in two breeding projects in the 80ies, and thats what we had to do. Keep the inbred lines, that were started from the same f2 samples, the breeder would visit and select every few days.
Ähm - Bye Bye, my wife says I should put on my pants and she'll take me for a walk
That is correct though my breeding work has been mostly self taught, back in the 80's and 90's I had a native orchid business and I bred and named six orchid hybrids. I even designed the formulas though I did piggy back off other peoples work. One thing I did though was substitute amino acids for Amonmium nitrate in the formulas as the nitrogen source and had far greater results in vitro, less burn out of seedlings.
I tried my hand at meristem cannabis in vitro, I just could not get the formula right, and it just was easier to make clones.
Hey put your pants on!!! HAHA

Last edited:

EnjoyingLife

Great question!
I ran two lines from the same base line of my Oaxacan Gold. One I kept as a green line and I selected out over the past two decades for the purple, establishing a fully stable purple line. And when you recombine those genes you bring back the full vigor and can start selecting for new traits without, diluting the genetics by out crossing. I still will keep the green line and the purple line separate to instill the desired traits in my available crosses for instance I cross Oaxacan Purple line with Baglung Nepali to get Purple Satellite. And Oaxacan Green line with Hawaiian Sativa to get Mountain Gold. It's basically a genetic juggling act, to make the best seeds possible available to the public.
I hope that helps.
CHEERS
Thanks for the quick concise answer!
I figured it dealt with keeping the genes healthy w\o outcrossing but I wanted to hear it from someone who has been doing it vs my reading and assuming.

vermontman

Thanks for the quick concise answer!
I figured it dealt with keeping the genes healthy w\o outcrossing but I wanted to hear it from someone who has been doing it vs my reading and assuming.
Hello @EnjoyingLife!
You are most welcome. Though outcrossing has its advantages also. Say you have an IBL {in bred line} that is beginning to bottle neck, becoming less vigourous. If you take another very stable IBL or Landrace that is very stable and very close in character to the line you are trying to revive you simply take your best female of the original line and cross it to desired male of other strain then takes males from that F1 line of seeds and cross it back to females of your original line three times and you will should be back to installing vigor in the original line without really any change to it"s character. that is called cubing.

EnjoyingLife

Hello @EnjoyingLife!
You are most welcome. Though outcrossing has its advantages also. Say you have an IBL {in bred line} that is beginning to bottle neck, becoming less vigourous. If you take another very stable IBL or Landrace that is very stable and very close in character to the line you are trying to revive you simply take your best female of the original line and cross it to desired male of other strain then takes males from that F1 line of seeds and cross it back to females of your original line three times and you will should be back to installing vigor in the original line without really any change to it"s character. that is called cubing.
I've heard of cubing. Not on purpose though and it's been awhile so details are foggy... but I remember someone saying it's not a good idea but forget why lol.
I assume you've used cubing and have had a good outcome?
It's not something I'd be able to do as I'm not set up for clones or mothers but hope to be in the future (no date planned) at some point.
Are there other ways to get an ibl more lively?

vermontman

I've heard of cubing. Not on purpose though and it's been awhile so details are foggy... but I remember someone saying it's not a good idea but forget why lol.
It's not something I'd be able to do as I'm not set up for clones or mothers but hope to be in the future (no date planned) at some point.
Hello @EnjoyingLife
Thank you for your Query!
So yes I have used that technique in strain maintenance, but after much trial and error to get past the first out cross I have only been able to use cubing one time and it worked out terrifically!
Though I Imagine, it could work out differently given any different genetics. Maybe I got lucky, but again it took me quite a few trials to just get past the first step.

goingrey

People mainly talk down on it because MrSoul's math was off and you are nowhere near the 94% uniform true-breeding variety in three generations. But with more realistic expectations backcrossing is a fine tool to have in the breeding toolbox.

vermontman

People mainly talk down on it because MrSoul's math was off and you are nowhere near the 94% uniform true-breeding variety in three generations. But with more realistic expectations backcrossing is a fine tool to have in the breeding toolbox.
Hello @goingrey!
Thank you for making this all a bit more clear, I can only go by my own experience, But I love learning more from others with their insights, that's how we grow!
Thank you for sharing.
CHEERS!

sgka

Veteran
Don't have any pics at the moment but the GMG and MG I started are in the cloner now moving along pretty quickly. I expect to put them into the SOG tent by next week. Photos to come when they hit the soil

vermontman

Don't have any pics at the moment but the GMG and MG I started are in the cloner now moving along pretty quickly. I expect to put them into the SOG tent by next week. Photos to come when they hit the soil
Hello @sgka!
Looking forward to your pic post!
I may be biased but they are both quite wonderful, though its been a while since someone has posted a Mountain Gold grow, I hope you will keep us up to date with pics of your garden.
Thank you!