Gorilla Glue #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

redlaser

Veteran
Got all brand new everything. Lasko fan w/ oversized blades,

New Lasko Fan.......
View Image

Man I really hate that fan. Bought one about a year ago and you can barely feel it six feet away on high. Poor design IMO.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey overgrow why are you running your filter without a prefilter? You are gonna clog that thing before the first run is over. That's what the prefilters are for to catch the dust or dirt that floats around the room when your dirt dries out so it doesn't clog your carbon.

Unless it's something new that I am missing I don't know?

If you dont have the pre filter wrap a t shirt around it. :ying:

bobblehead

Veteran
Im growing in soil. Ive had them on the floor for 7 years.
The floor slopes towards the other side of the room too, if water is the issue you forsee.
I dont have anywhere else to put them unless I built shelves, but this is my last grow at this place.
I used to put them up on 1/2" thick wood boards. Think I should do that again? I got the boards still in the garage.

You should put them on cinder blocks. They need to be up off the floor for multiple reason. One is in case of a flood. What happens if you have a flood? The ballast shorts out and can catch fire. There are other things that can cause the ballast to short out, like a power surge. You don't want the ballast to be in contact with anything that's flammable if you can help it. The other reason to elevate your ballasts is for cooling. Keeping your ballasts cool prolongs their life, and prevents malfunctions like shorts... Having 1 face against the ground inhibits cooling. Just b/c you've done it like you have for 7 years doesn't make it right.

Why are black construction 3mil trash bags un-ideal for windows? Ive used them since day one, 7 years ago.
Is there sumthing cheaper and better (for whatever reason) to cover windows with?
Theres blinds behind the plastic as well, if your concerned about a mild glow to them. The windows are blacked out solid.

How about security? All that nice new equipment was in reference to the money you spent... but you didn't spend another $8 on a sheet of OSB to board up the window and protect your investment.

Wendull C.

Veteran
Also with the ballasts on the floor if a connection gets strained or half pulled out the connections will arc and start a fire very quickly like when I was a little lazy and left one for the dog to sneak in and step on.
If I hadn't been in the room the flames might have caused more damage. Even so the flames were three ft high in 30 seconds and the ballasts and cord were toast. Just my cent and a half.all my ballasts now reside on the wall or ceiling.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can attest to this as well. I had a ballast sitting on the floor and must have bumped the cord a bit - knocking it off center and proper alignment.

I wasn't aware of this until AFTER the fact.

I was lucky I was home and smelt something burning - and fortunately made it to the breaker before the melt actually made it to the outlet. It would have been a nasty fire.

Certainly - keep all ballasts mounted properly - up and out of the way.

dank.Frank

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
I can attest to this as well. I had a ballast sitting on the floor and must have bumped the cord a bit - knocking it off center and proper alignment.

I wasn't aware of this until AFTER the fact.

I was lucky I was home and smelt something burning - and fortunately made it to the breaker before the melt actually made it to the outlet. It would have been a nasty fire.

Certainly - keep all ballasts mounted properly - up and out of the way.

dank.Frank
I was unaware that ballasts had to be centered and aligned. Is this a magnetic ballast issue? Do digital ballast need to be at a certain angle?i have one d. Ballast angles at a 45.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
When i saw them upside down glues i instantly thought of my moms topsy turby tomatoes u hang the bag n they grow out the bottom.... red spaghetti also had some crazy shit packed room full with plants swinging from the cieling sporadicly all over.....
Far as plastic bags... security is one issue.. also depending on where u are humidity/condensation will build up which is never good... i use some blinds a piece of foam bord insulation then ply wood or cement board.... nice tight seals so zero smell can escape.... also keeps things cooler...why make ur ac work harder its summer... the ballasts are a fire waitin to happen.,.. nething u find would be better....2 5gal buckets n some plywood makes a hell of a shelf on the quick....4 make a table.... good luck bro...

CARE giver

Sour Bubble Connoisseur
Veteran
I literally just kicked over water all over my ballast last night. I shook it off to get the water off. Then about an hour later i went to attend to my plants again and the was off. I was like wtf...

I thought it was a power surge so i reset my power. And still nothing. It ended up being my timer the ballast was connected to. Thank god that was the only thing that blew. And i dont even know how.. but fuck it lol.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was unaware that ballasts had to be centered and aligned. Is this a magnetic ballast issue? Do digital ballast need to be at a certain angle?i have one d. Ballast angles at a 45.

the cord. female end where it plugs into the ballast. If it is not seated properly...heat is generated, short, fry, burn...

dank.Frank

whatthe215

Veteran
I thought it was a power surge so i reset my power. And still nothing. It ended up being my timer the ballast was connected to. Thank god that was the only thing that blew. And i dont even know how.. but fuck it lol.

Intermatic mechanical contact timers for everyone! Screw those plastic POS wall timers, even for just 1 lamp. A fire waiting to happen.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use 2 woods Outdoor 50015 timer's. The one for my light's only turns on the contact for the Power box to turn on.

41yRQX9kO-L._SL200_SL114_AA115_.jpg

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
Mine....Day 26 12/12. About to prune fan leaves and put some support stakes up. From what I gather......should start getting fun now keeping them in check.

picture.php

picture.php

The tent......two Glues in back......a Thai(Hybrid) in front

picture.php

MrTea

some guy
Veteran
For the past 5 years I have been growing in 10 sq ft. Today, I finally setup my new grow room, 85 sq ft. temps are <80, Humidity is 40-60. Life is good. Girls are lovin' it. The Halo 2x got the best no till soil as she was desperately needing it. She's a beast, will get pics of everything once all my girls bounce back.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
Intermatic mechanical contact timers for everyone! Screw those plastic POS wall timers, even for just 1 lamp. A fire waiting to happen.
i run just one of those those (mechanical timers everyone has in the greybox with yellow dial) for all light circuits by having it control a contactor relay box that can run a bunch circuits. the timer turns on all circuits slam on. its loud when it happens. big ceramic and copper contactors slam together by an electro magnet, firing it all at once. i have a more modern one that isnt so dramatic in my other space. plastic lightgauge wire its malfunctioned before had to replace something inside. they dont make em like they used to . the older loud boss was from a parking lot of a shopping center in the 60s 0r 70s im guessing? it was for turning on all those giant hid street lights. my friend found it and donated it when i first set up my first room.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
i couldnt give two fucks about working on cars but this is my version of the ol chevy truck. its loud ugly & solid but it just works. you could fix it yourself but the damn thing never breaks down.

Status
Not open for further replies.