What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Fridge Motor Air Pump

Ca++

Rounding up a lot of these ideas, I had another, that I then found existed. I may of even seen it before. A water pump in the tank (bldc so near silent) and a venturi to draw air into the water flow. I have found youtube vids, and amazon sell the venturi's for pennies. It's very much like the microbubble nozzles I can't get, but lower pressure, so you get bigger bubbles. What I have seen uses just a pipe as jetting, but I feel the air could be broke up more, with a gauze to break up the air, without adding a lot of resistance.
I will have to have a play, but this basic idea seems well covered

That seems to work well, just out the box. I don't know where it's from, but I'm interested

420PyRoS

Venturi systems work good.

Our Emergency bilge system was venturi based. If ingress of water was too much for normal pumps to keep up, we would open venturi lanes off the 10 Bar fire main that would create suction, AKA a venturi, to help remove water.

Air vaccum generators work the same way creating a vaccum from pressurized air or water flowing by.

1000021313.jpg

Typical shape of fluid pressure venturi piping.

Also vaccum generators as well.

Screenshot_20240630_064827_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20240630_064917_Chrome.jpg

Not to mention the irrigation type you have shown. Water/air type.

Last edited:

Ca++

I gave it a run. 600a3 pump (4 meter head) and a small venturi around 1/4" to match. Results look promising. The air inlet has a spring 1way valve I had to remove, but then the little pump created enough low pressure, to pull in air, turning the water stream white. My bowl was churning around nicely, so still a perfectly good circulatory pump.

Using air stones in my tank, I have the water at atmospheric pressure, with the bubbles passing though. With this venturi and my pump, I have bubbles in water at maybe a 25% higher pressure. My mind is telling me any extra water pressure, will lead to a greater oxygen transfer. Just like putting bubbles into pop. Or conversely, how cavitation pulls gas from fluids. I was told a few posts back, that the swirly machine was giving good oxygenation, and couldn't think why. Maybe, this is it. It's mixing better, at increased pressures.

I have an oxygen test kit around. I will see what I can do

JKD

Veteran
If you dissolve air into water under pressure it will generate micro-bubbles when released into atmospheric pressure. This process is used in Dissolved Air Flotation.

Ca++

The bends can be pretty traumatic, where divers must lower the pressure upon them slowly, or gasses form bubbles within bodily tissue. It's good to put a name to it.

My water had stood for weeks, and it, and my hands, smelt of algae setting this up. 6 hours later
o2rest.jpg

I'm going to call it 12. It's not natural light, but it's past a reasonable 8, and carries pigments past 12. I will check again in the day, and report back if it's different enough. Temps in the goldilocks zone, perhaps 23c

iu

This suggests 8 is all I should expect. Perhaps it is pressure getting me higher, which would be temporary. Which is fine, just as long as it gets delivered.

I have used the kit on tap, to see 8. My eyes calibrated :)

Latest posts

Latest posts